Met a fellow rider today. . .

Well...after reading the post, this is my point of view and hope it helps in any way.

I went through a similar situation basically when I had my accident and Nova was left paralized, I felt and knew that was supposed to happen to me and God saved me from it. Parents went insane and couldn't understand how after going through that, I still want a bike of my own. I have to admit it scared me, but then again, the way I see it is as following:

No matter how many precautions we take, we'll always be at risk...this concerns to any sport/hobbie, especially when talking about bikes. My reply to my parents was: "Bikes are a passion and dream I've had for a long time. I've given up other dreams, but not this one...I have faith one day I will have my bike. I know all the risks involved, even more so after going through it myself...but I also know if anything ever happens I'll be happy because I was doing what I loved and if it's in God's plan for something to happen, it will even if I'm sleeping!"

Of course...they still can't understand it and it is still an issue in my head just because I wouldn't want them to go through all that ever again, it was very shocking and hurtful seeing how much they suffered...and basically nothing happened to me..so I wouldn't be able to imagine if something ever did.

I believe that when doing what you love, you live a better and happier life. Just have to be realistic about it and as safe as possible within the circumstances...then again, when something is meant to happen, it will happen regardless of timing; we just have to be prepared to deal with the consequences of our choices and actions.

Well...after reading the post, this is my point of view and hope it helps in any way.

I went through a similar situation basically when I had my accident and Nova was left paralized, I felt and knew that was supposed to happen to me and God saved me from it.  Parents went insane and couldn't understand how after going through that, I still want a bike of my own.  I have to admit it scared me, but then again, the way I see it is as following:

No matter how many precautions we take, we'll always be at risk...this concerns to any sport/hobbie, especially when talking about bikes.  My reply to my parents was: "Bikes are a passion and dream I've had for a long time.  I've given up other dreams, but not this one...I have faith one day I will have my bike.  I know all the risks involved, even more so after going through it myself...but I also know if anything ever happens I'll be happy because I was doing what I loved and if it's in God's plan for something to happen, it will even if I'm sleeping!"

Of course...they still can't understand it and it is still an issue in my head just because I wouldn't want them to go through all that ever again, it was very shocking and hurtful seeing how much they suffered...and basically nothing happened to me..so I wouldn't be able to imagine if something ever did.

I believe that when doing what you love, you live a better and happier life.  Just have to be realistic about it and as safe as possible within the circumstances...then again, when something is meant to happen, it will happen regardless of timing; we just have to be prepared to deal with the consequences of our choices and actions.
She feeld basically the same way I do. If it is my time at least I am going to out having the time of my life and just livin it up. I remember my wreck very vividly. I say if I would have wrecked 5-10 feet forward or behind where I went off the rode. I would not be here today. There is a large concrete colvert in front of where I went and several large trees behind.

My parents couldn't understand why I wanted to keep and fix the bike. To this day I can't even comprehend selling the bike. Maybe it is just a mocho man thing but I just can't let her go. i borrowed a butt-load of money shortly after I wrecked because I cam off of a airport security deployment because no one is going to hire a guy with a broken ankle in a cast. My wreck has taught me some very important lessons that hopefully, if I teach to only one person, then I think I have accomlished something.

1) Don't be stupid-that's the biggy
2) Respect yourself and your body-because you have to live in it for the rest of your life.
3) respect your machine-whether it be a busa or moped, know what it can do and can't do. and don't push the limits.
4) respect the other people on the road-expect the unexpected at ALL times, because if you let your guard down...boom your dead or hurt really bad. My wreck took probably 3-5 seconds...Happens faster than you could imagine but then again I was doing 130mph..rule #1 was used on that one.
5) respect the people that love you-believe it or not I am sure someone wants you to come home safe....

I may not have much room to talk about stuff like this because if some of you met me...You would get the impression that I was a punk kid @ 21yrs old. I feel like I have alot experience in motorcycles, go karts, dirt bikes, fourwheelers, jet skis to boats.

I consider myself a extreme sportsman. That is why I bought a busa.

With that being said..I leave you at this..

BE SAFE< PAY ATTENTION<DON'T SCREW AROUND TRYING TO PROVE SOMETHING TO SOMEBODY< AND COME HOME IN ONE PIECE ALONG WITH YOUR BIKE.

biggrin.gif

yep, i got all the insurance and such.. I know she doesn't "neeeed" me so to speak.. but dang just cuz they don't need me don't mean it would be ok to miss it.. haha.

I guess this particular story just kinda hit close to home because of the pics or something.

I think my immunization against.. "won't happen to me" is running out or something.

ehhh. . . I got it though. i'll give up the bikes, and collect stamps and be bored!

hehe probably get a toxic glued stamp and die from some weird glue reaction.

anyways.. just be careful I guess..

already had 2 wrecks on bikes in my small town..

dude/wife lowsided got ran over by a ford escape.. broken legs.. but alive after they picked the vehicle off of them..

not sure about the other one yet.. but no major injuries there either I don't think.

bleh, enough doom and gloom..
I washed the bike up real purdy after me and wifey road last night.. damn the hayabusa is a purdy bike when it's clean.

Definitely an unfortunate and sad story, but you can only do so much. Take all the precautions in the world that you want, but don't let it keep you from living and doing the things that you enjoy doing. Make sure those you care for are taking care of and then be happy. Accidents happen. Some of which you are prepared for and don't mean a thing. Others you can't prepare for and should not waste time thinking or worrying about. I'm not married, but do have a significant other and have taken steps to make sure that she and my parents are taken care of in the event something tragic happened.

one thing i dont have is the "it wont happen to me"syndrome.i have resigned myself to the fact that eventually i will go down hard and can only hope it either kills me instantly or i get lucky and get out with minor injuries.i have had a couple slow dumps in deep gravel but no blood no foul as yet.i firmly believe the one thing that has kept me safe thus far is my fear which gives me a healthy dose of respect for my bike and to watch out for the idiots around me.that has really been my saving grace in a couple close calls.the classic pull out in front of you"one of which i missed by inches and thank god the other lane was clear"and the always popular im changing lanes and im gonna push you off the road to do it"they almost went back over into the median when they saw i was about to kick their passenger windshield out"when my 05le comes in it will be my first crotch rocket and i must say im scared to death at the thought of the ride home on it,hope i dont do any unwanted wheelies.but as long as we all do everything we can to minimize our risks and stay aware of our surroundings then weve done all we can,the rest will be up to the lord.

What is that saying?
"When I die I'd rather roar into heaven, slide into a parking spot and say 'Whew-WEE what a Ride!' "

Something to that effect.
wink.gif

I figure, when my time is up, it's up. But I'm gonna try to have fun until then. Plus, ya gotta die of something.

It probably hit you hard because you saw your life reflected in his pics.. so you carried it one step further and put yourself in his life, and that included the wreck. But that's HIS life, not yours. You don't know where your life is headed.. so just do what you want to do. You only go around once.. make the best of it.:cool:

Kevin, you put an excellent perspective on this. Thanks, man.

I read a quote recently which says something along the lines of, "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, no money left, leathers ragged and torn, tires smokin', body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming at the top of your lungs 'WOW . . . What a rush!'"

This might be a good story to illustrate this point. To make an extremely long story short, when my wife was sixteen (yes, before we were married you pervs!
tounge.gif
) she was diagnosed with a "terminal" illness. After all was said and done, she was told by doctors she had a year to live.

Whoa! Sixteen and being told you're going to die next year? That's rough stuff, man. Anyway, and here come's the trim job on this story, that was nineteen years ago. To drive the point home, about 10 years ago, she called the self-same doctor who was since retired being too old for a medical career any longer. The first words out of his mouth were, "You're still alive?"

We still laugh about it to this day.

Well, by the time we were married, we had determined that we were in love and would make the most of things. Nature was doing strange, yet wonderful things to keep her alive and over time, ceteris paribus, she has done very well.

To be clear, her original problem has not gone away. Not in the least. What has happened, however, is that her body has adapted to accommodate the condition she has. (If you want to know more about it, look up "Budd-Chiari Syndrome" on Google. Yes, include the quotes.)

Here's the kicker, however. A slight injury which most of us here would brush off in a moment could easily prove to be fatal to her. For the first 5 years of our marriage, we soft-shoed around her life, careful to not take any risks which would jeopardize her life. At some point, however, we finally started to realize: That's a fuggin' boring, lame way to live life. Indeed, it is NOT a life. Zombies could relate, I'm sure.

She started karate lessons. Had a blast, and got pretty damn good. She started riding horses again, her life's first love from before she got sick as a teenager. She rides to this day and has been thrown a couple of times. And now, as of last November, she has started riding motorcycles. She's doing very well, too. By mid-summer, she'll likely be riding the Busa instead of her current ride.

All normal life activities but 100 times more life-threatening for her than for any of the rest of us.

We simply don't think about it any more. Yeah, we're careful on the road and with everything else but no more so than we would be if she did NOT have a medical issue. And she's done well.

The point here, I guess, is that Ms. Wag REALLY understands the value of life. She's had twice as much as she expected. Every birthday to her is a genuine celebration, full of meaning and true heart. There is nothing in life which is more than she can handle at this point. The pains I've heard on this or any other board are NOTHING compared to the agonies she has endured thus far in her life. I don't say that to minimize the sufferings of others, just to point out that after all is said and done, if you go out that way, you'll go out doing something you TRULY love. Always remember that; it's so utterly important. I've never endured anything even close to her pain or anyone's pain that I've read about here. But I've learned from her example and from the examples of others here and elsewhere.

Life should not be given up before it's taken away.

That's really deep, folks. If you give up the good things in life because you're afraid of losing your life, I'm afraid you've already given up your life. That's really sad. Mourn that loss.

And that's why she rides. Why I ride. I refuse to give up my life and the joys it has because I'm worried about death or injury. I've told my friends and loved ones, if I die in a motorcycle crash, please remember, I went out doing something I love. Indeed, I can almost think of no better way to die. When I read of people dying in skydiving accidents or scuba accidents or whatever, I always wonder, "Did that person die doing something they loved to their core?" If so, they lived a great life and died a good death. I think Steve, from what I read about him, was one of these people.

And yeah, sometimes, death can be a good thing. Never forget that, folks. Yeah, you leave people behind in sorrow but if they know you and understand you, and if you've let them know ahead of time that you loved doing what you do they will mourn your loss but rejoice in your life well-lived.

When I die, whatever the cause, I want my wife to throw a party. A celebration. My life has been as fantastic as I can even imagine. I have everything I want. Everything I can ask for to make my life healthy and happy and pleasant, regardless of circumstances. While I prefer to have death take his time visiting with me, I'm hoping the loved ones in my life will understand that it won't be a tragedy because I have wrung every ounce of life out of the time I've had as you can possibly imagine. So has my wife. We are going to enjoy it while we have it! And if we lose it doing something we love, what more could be ask for!?

Sorry to go on so long. This thread just struck me close to home. Thanks for your forebearance.

--Wag--

I think about it before every ride and that is why I ONLY ride when everything is perfect. It has to be a prefect sunny day because if I go down it can't be during one of those times that I wasn't having a blast on my bike... I.E. caught in the rain... I never ride at night....

I sold my first bike because I couldn't get over the fear of what could happen to me on it... I have since matured those fears a bit and have a slightly different outlook on life now after a serious back injury. I had a back injury that left me pretty crippled for a year and half. There was no possiblity of even thinking of riding a bike... I had a lot of time to think over that year and half over the things I wish I could do again and the things I would do again if I ever got better... Now I am living everyday to the fullest because everyone has got to die sooner or later, let's just have a good time and be content with ourselves when we go... Living in pain isn't living; neither is worrying about it.

CLoud

It is hard to hear about the stuff you guys have shared. I love to ride. I don't know what I would do if I couldn't ride.
I always pray for God to keep me safe, to help other drivers see me, and to warn me of any problems. Before a long trip, or short for that matter, I pray if I/we should even ride today and then I listen to know God's answer. If I feel ok, then I ride and do all I can to be safe and put my trust in God. If it is my time for something to happen then it is God's will and there isn't anything I can do about it. Like a lot have said, anything could happen at any given time. Life is short.

is it worth it? I guess so...well, at least to me.

When I took out my loan for the bike, I was sure to get the damned credit life thing. Don't need to have unfinished biznazz...

A year later, crashed and bruised to hell. Wonderful. People asked me if I learned my lesson...if I was gonna stop riding. I looked them straight in the eye and told them that if I had another bike in the garage, you could bet yer happy azz that I was gonna be riding it.

I'd hate to leave so many people behind....but I also won't live my life according to their whims and wants. If I'm gonna go, then I'm gonna go....whether it be burnin a 120+ sweeper or constipated on the can.

Either which way it goes, when the number is up, the number is up. I just hope and pray that my affairs with the Big Man are squared away and that I'm going down doing what I love...be it slidin out the rear and doin a wheelie outta the turn or layin in bed holdin my wife's hand.

When the time comes, it comes. No way around it.

Kevin, you put an excellent perspective on this.  Thanks, man.  

I read a quote recently which says something along the lines of, "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, no money left, leathers ragged and torn, tires smokin', body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming at the top of your lungs 'WOW . . . What a rush!'"

This might be a good story to illustrate this point.  To make an extremely long story short, when my wife was sixteen (yes, before we were married you pervs!
tounge.gif
) she was diagnosed with a "terminal" illness.  After all was said and done, she was told by doctors she had a year to live.  

Whoa!  Sixteen and being told you're going to die next year?  That's rough stuff, man.  Anyway, and here come's the trim job on this story, that was nineteen years ago.  To drive the point home, about 10 years ago, she called the self-same doctor who was since retired being too old for a medical career any longer.  The first words out of his mouth were, "You're still alive?"  

We still laugh about it to this day.

Well, by the time we were married, we had determined that we were in love and would make the most of things.  Nature was doing strange, yet wonderful things to keep her alive and over time, ceteris paribus, she has done very well.

To be clear, her original problem has not gone away.  Not in the least.  What has happened, however, is that her body has adapted to accommodate the condition she has.  (If you want to know more about it, look up "Budd-Chiari Syndrome" on Google.  Yes, include the quotes.)

Here's the kicker, however.  A slight injury which most of us here would brush off in a moment could easily prove to be fatal to her.  For the first 5 years of our marriage, we soft-shoed around her life, careful to not take any risks which would jeopardize her life.  At some point, however, we finally started to realize:  That's a fuggin' boring, lame way to live life.  Indeed, it is NOT a life.  Zombies could relate, I'm sure.

She started karate lessons.  Had a blast, and got pretty damn good.  She started riding horses again, her life's first love from before she got sick as a teenager.  She rides to this day and has been thrown a couple of times.  And now, as of last November, she has started riding motorcycles.  She's doing very well, too.  By mid-summer, she'll likely be riding the Busa instead of her current ride.

All normal life activities but 100 times more life-threatening for her than for any of the rest of us.

We simply don't think about it any more.  Yeah, we're careful on the road and with everything else but no more so than we would be if she did NOT have a medical issue.  And she's done well.  

The point here, I guess, is that Ms. Wag REALLY understands the value of life.  She's had twice as much as she expected.  Every birthday to her is a genuine celebration, full of meaning and true heart.  There is nothing in life which is more than she can handle at this point.  The pains I've heard on this or any other board are NOTHING compared to the agonies she has endured thus far in her life.  I don't say that to minimize the sufferings of others, just to point out that after all is said and done, if you go out that way, you'll go out doing something you TRULY love.  Always remember that; it's so utterly important.  I've never endured anything even close to her pain or anyone's pain that I've read about here.  But I've learned from her example and from the examples of others here and elsewhere.

Life should not be given up before it's taken away.  

That's really deep, folks.  If you give up the good things in life because you're afraid of losing your life, I'm afraid you've already given up your life.  That's really sad.  Mourn that loss.

And that's why she rides.  Why I ride.  I refuse to give up my life and the joys it has because I'm worried about death or injury.  I've told my friends and loved ones, if I die in a motorcycle crash, please remember, I went out doing something I love.  Indeed, I can almost think of no better way to die.  When I read of people dying in skydiving accidents or scuba accidents or whatever, I always wonder, "Did that person die doing something they loved to their core?"  If so, they lived a great life and died a good death.  I think Steve, from what I read about him, was one of these people.

And yeah, sometimes, death can be a good thing.  Never forget that, folks.  Yeah, you leave people behind in sorrow but if they know you and understand you, and if you've let them know ahead of time that you loved doing what you do they will mourn your loss but rejoice in your life well-lived.

When I die, whatever the cause, I want my wife to throw a party.  A celebration.  My life has been as fantastic as I can even imagine.  I have everything I want.  Everything I can ask for to make my life healthy and happy and pleasant, regardless of circumstances.  While I prefer to have death take his time visiting with me, I'm hoping the loved ones in my life will understand that it won't be a tragedy because I have wrung every ounce of life out of the time I've had as you can possibly imagine.  So has my wife.  We are going to enjoy it while we have it!  And if we lose it doing something we love, what more could be ask for!?

Sorry to go on so long.  This thread just struck me close to home.  Thanks for your forebearance.

--Wag--
Wag, that's awesome. You have added a great deal and given even more courage to live life to it's fullest.

I travel a lot out of the country, if you check my web page you will see the evidence. Many times I have returned from a trip and shared what it is like in some of these countries and friends will ask "that seems a bit dangerous, why would anyone take their vacation time, pay their own way to work in a place that could be life threatening?" I just tell them that it is something I love doing and If I'm going to die doing something it might as well be doing something I love.

And PACIFICBUSA, believe it or not, of my two grandfathers, one died sitting on the can, I don't remember him much, I was 4, I just remember him sitting around a lot. The other grandpa, while cutting the grass for a neighbor because the neighbor was old and in bad health, sat down to rest in a lawn chair and died. I think I'd rather go as the second, being a giver.

Kev

Some interesting statistics from 2001...

Accidental Deaths and causes in the U.S.

Motorcycle rider: 3042
Pedestrian: 6071
Car occupant: 14946
Occupant of pick-up truck or van: 3739
Falls: 15019
Accidental drowning and submersion: 3281
Choking or Suffocation: 5555
Exposure to smoke, fire and flames: 3309
Exposure to forces of nature: 1100
Accidental poisoning by and exposure to noxious substances: 14078
Assault: 20308
Complications of medical and surgical care: 3021

(http://www.nsc.org/lrs/statinfo/odds.htm)

There have been many good opinions expressed here. Take the stats for what they're worth. For me, I know my passion for motorcycles is more dangerous than most hobbies. I accept that. I also know that no matter how careful or prepared I am while riding, my number could be up at any moment. Why do I keep doing it? I can't adequately explain. I can only say if I had to give it up it would leave an immeasurable void in my life and take away one of my greatest joys. I too have been at the crossroads of reflection while I lay in the hospital after my own brush with mortality in a cycle accident. I have seen my sister's husband struggle for 18 years in a wheelchair after being hit by a drunk driver while riding his motorcycle. Does it make sense to continue riding after assessing and evaluating all of the risks? For some, no, for others, yes. To me it comes down to a personal decision on how I choose to live my live. I want to LIVE my life, not simply be alive for the duration. I feel incredibly blessed to have already been given breath from the almighty for 36 years. I have been blessed with a beautiful wife, 3 beautiful children. I try to live each day with no regrets before my maker and my fellow man, because I know that each breath I take is a gift from he who has power over all things. By virtue of our birth into this world, death will eventually overtake all of us. Whether it be by sickness or accident, in our youth or in our twilight years, our concern should be on how we live... not how we die.

And PACIFICBUSA, believe it or not, of my two grandfathers, one died sitting on the can, I don't remember him much, I was 4, I just remember him sitting around a lot. The other grandpa, while cutting the grass for a neighbor because the neighbor was old and in bad health, sat down to rest in a lawn chair and died. I think I'd rather go as the second, being a giver.

Kev
but yer also givin' when yer on the can, Kev-ster. You know, the whole recyclin' thing.
wink.gif

Very interesting, though....I can honestly say that that is a first. I never met anyone who actually knew someone that it happened to.

Kev
but yer also givin' when yer on the can, Kev-ster. You know, the whole recyclin' thing.
wink.gif

Very interesting, though....I can honestly say that that is a first. I never met anyone who actually knew someone that it happened to.
One of my cousins had to climb in the bathroom window from outside to open the locked door. Can you imagine having to do that?
rock.gif

Back