I FAILED AS A PARENT TODAY

99 My HEART goes out for you because I KNOW how you feel!!!

Thanksgiving '06 my sister came home from Phoenix for Christmas....only she brought some go cart thingy for "Ian" to ride on.  I was TOTALLY against his riding in this go cart! (I've seen  road rash from a bike wreck)
I went upstairs at my mom's house and get in the shower, I barely get the shampoo in and I hear my lil guy screaming bloody murder downstairs.  My sister was riding him around in that go cart and they took a turn way too fast and turned it on it's side sliding across the asphalt!!!  Lil guy had road rash on both sides of his legs, the rocks had cut his scalp, his nose and cheek were rashed...I FELT LOW!  If I had stood my ground he wouldn't have been hurt!   All I could do was hug him and help with the boo boo's.  He will be 5 and still has the scars.  I want to say this stuff happens, but I still blame myself all the time!  
After all my rambling...don't beat yourself up too much!!!
woow. yep welcome aboard the non perfect parent boat. we give in when we know better just to avoid a whine.

If we shelter our children and never let them learn anything, they will be ill equiped to handle failure and the real world later in life. Not saying to hand him a loaded gun and turn him loose, just sayin glad he is ok, dont beat yourself up. Now, get him a tat and dew rag and he is set!
cool.gif

woow. yep welcome aboard the non perfect parent boat. we give in when we know better just to avoid a whine.
It is so funny that you say this...we just came in from playing outside, and the mom two houses down from us and I were talking about who would win the award for worst parents?? We feel like is might be a tie, but I feel like the WINNER of that one!

Side note...I was amazed when we went to leave the hospital with that little one, they sent us home with TWO SHEETS OF PAPER!! There was no manual or anything for this parenting stuff, we are just making it up as we go!

I hate to say this folks but I never put much stock in jeans.

In a crash jeans will not provide much if any protection.

Chris, don't be too hard on yourself, as I said, unless you are making your son wear mesh or leather or Kevlar, honestly, it probably would not have done much.

Besides, if a boy doesn't get hurt he isn't playing hard enough, we just need to as parents try to mitigate the risk as much as possible.

well best to learn about the "facts of crashing" at 10mph than 60... I would not beat yourself up too bad... live and learn and at least this is a low speed learning experience... Time to buy junior some real gear I suppose... I did not think that little red monster would go that fast...

looks like he took it like a little man
smile.gif

Chris, don't be too hard on yourself, as I said, unless you are making your son wear mesh or leather or Kevlar, honestly, it probably would not have done much.

Besides, if a boy doesn't get hurt he isn't playing hard enough, we just need to as parents try to mitigate the risk as much as possible.
Glad your son made out with just a raspberry on his knee. I agree that jeans offer little if any protection. They're made out of cotton, denim cotton but still cotton. A set of EVS hard shell knee and shin guards cost less than $20 in the M/X section of your favorite store. Get a set for both of you. On hot days I wear a pair under my jeans. They come in small and large sizes.

http://www.locomx.com/EVS-You....uth.htm

I wouldn't say you failed as a parent because of this or that you are a bad parent. You feel terrible and are concerned, that's much further along than most parents I deal with these days. It has also been said it will stick with him as he gets older. Keep in mind as we age everything always seems bigger or worse when we think about it years later. By the time he's 18 he will be telling the girls how he nearly lost his leg racing a motorcycle in his younger days.

Glad your son made out with just a raspberry on his knee.  I agree that jeans offer little if any protection.  They're made out of cotton, denim cotton but still cotton.  A set of EVS hard shell knee and shin guards cost less than $20 in the M/X section of your favorite store.  Get a set for both of you.  On hot days I wear a pair under my jeans.  They come in small and large sizes.

http://www.locomx.com/EVS-You....uth.htm
thanks for the link. i got it saved
thumb_up.gif

Dude, I hurt myself way worse than a little scrape like that. That is nothing
winkold.gif

I think its important for kids to get hurt(minor) because then they learn the consequences of putting your body at risk. You can tell and tell and tell kids all you want, but we all learn more from our mistakes than the mistakes of others.

Much better to learn first hand you can get hurt riding on a pocket bike doing 10-15mph VS a 1000cc doing 150+mph.

Remember part of your job as a Parent is to teach your kids Self-reliance. They cannot learn this if you're always protecting them. You have to teach them and give them the tools, then you have to cut them loose so they learn to depend on themselves. Obviously their age and what activity their doing determines how loose you cut them
winkold.gif

winkold.gif

Dude, I hurt myself way worse than a little scrape like that.  That is nothing  
winkold.gif

I think its important for kids to get hurt(minor) because then they learn the consequences of putting your body at risk.  You can tell and tell and tell kids all you want, but we all learn more from our mistakes than the mistakes of others.

Much better to learn first hand you can get hurt riding on a pocket bike doing 10-15mph VS a 1000cc doing 150+mph.

Remember part of your job as a Parent is to teach your kids Self-reliance.  They cannot learn this if you're always protecting them.  You have to teach them and give them the tools, then you have to cut them loose so they learn to depend on themselves.  Obviously their age and what activity their doing determines how loose you cut them  
winkold.gif
very well said
thumb_up.gif

winkold.gif

I am sure that we have all been there and have the scars to prove it. I know that I do with all those crashes on bikes and fourwheelers. I like to think that all of that has made me smarter on the rode today knowing what it feels like to take the time to heal and not being out there doing what you love. At least you are a good parent to keep him with his helmet on and trying to keep everything else on him. Too many kids are dying today from atv and dirtbike crashes by not wearing the proper gear. Every kid should be so lucky to have a parent like you to know and keep them on the right track. I am glad that he is ok.

Too many kids are dying today from atv and dirtbike crashes by not wearing the proper gear.
Very true, just in the past week my office handled an atv crash where a 17 year old girl had a four wheeler roll over on her. No helmet or gear of any other type and was at a low speed (less than 20 mph) Pronounced dead at the scene. Had she just had on a helmet she would be above ground and breathing today.

Sorry if off topic a bit but had to be said.

Man what kind of parent are you! LOL

Big meanie!
firedevil.gif

But he'll be fine, i think its just your pride that hurts!

Bro... Its all good, this is not a major catastrophe and in no way represents a failure on your part. These days, it is programmed that kids need adult supervision around the clock but it is getting ridiculous.. Just think about when you were a kid.

If we shelter our children and never let them learn anything, they will be ill equiped to handle failure and the real world later in life. Not saying to hand him a loaded gun and turn him loose, just sayin glad he is ok, dont beat yourself up. Now, get him a tat and dew rag and he is set!
cool.gif
Well, said. We need to help them with the experience we've gained over our lives, but sometimes they have to live with the consequences of their forgetfulness or even laziness.

And yes, chicks dig scars like that.
laugh.gif

Back