New Biker Parent

sageronin

Donating Member
Registered
This is a new feeling. My 22 yr old son living in Tampa, FL just bought his first bike. Talk about mixed emotions and feelings of hypocracy, even though he took my advice and completed the beginners MSF course. I suggested he start out with a 600 or 750, but no, he went only one step down from the Busa and he got a ZX-10! I'm trying to be a good father and give him the proper mix of warnings and support, but it is hard. I am afraid for him as my son has a history of speeding in a cage. I am afraid for myself as my youngest son was killed in an auto accident less than 2 years ago. It is tough being a parent, even after they are grown and gone, you still worry too darn much. All I can do is pray and continue to give him as much advice as possible. I'm about to get on amazon.com and send him a couple of good riding technique books. I just got off of the phone with him and we will be going to kevin schwantz's school together this year. That's about all I can think of right now. Any advice would be welcomed.

DJ

IMGP0146.JPG

Wow. Congrats SageR. I have mixed feelings too. My kids all ride, but ther're in the dirt. Still leery of letting them get a steet bike. Jessie is 18 & so is Tom. Confident in their skills, but concerned bout the idiot cagers.

The only thing I can think of now is spend as much time with him on the bikes as possible. Don't (and this would be very tough for me!) let him goad you into a duel. (race, whatever)

Take him to the local "run what you brung" strip and go at it there. (You know he'll wanna see if he can whoop up on the old man!)

Good luck with it and have fun! (Just not too much fun
wink.gif
)

Wow, SR. I guess the only advice I can pretty much give you is to continue to pray and to spend time with him on the bike.

Kids that young often times want to learn for themselves how to conduct themselves on the street. It's scary that he has a history of speeding in a cage...we all know how much responsibility we need on a bike.

I think you are doing the right thing by going with him to the school.

It seems to me like you have the right idea.
Just keep taking him to schools and riding with him and he should be fine.

Thanks guys ... he's in Florida and I'm in Maryland. He put his first 85 miles on the Kawa today, some in Tampa's rush hour traffic. I'll feel better as he gets in more miles and experience and the Luck/Skill/Experience ratios start to even out. Right now he's riding on pure luck. Thanks for the words of encouragement!

DJ

You hit the nail on the head Sage, when you said prayer. Man
what a jump for a newbie, but whether in an SUV, on a scooter
or on a zx10 God's protection knows NO limits. I'll keep him &
his dad lifted in prayer.

God bless,
Bigdawg

well not to bring up any bad ideas but teach him how to ride and get a race or something setup so we know how the 10 performs against the busa.
cool.gif

here is some advice from a 22 year old . when i bought my bike i still remember the look on my moms face she didnt want me to get it and still doesnt want me to have it , and knowing me i love to speed and she knows this so when i went down for the first time all i could think about was my family and especially my mom cuz she fears getting a call from the police or highway patrol saying her son was in an accident , then i realized that for the first time in 22 years that i dont know what in the world i would do without my folks and then i looked in a mirror and was stunned when i came to the realization of thats what they think when i get on the bike is that if anything were to happen they couldnt live without having their son so now after being put in that situation first thing that comes to mind when i ride is my parents !! yea i still speed but i am more aware of my surroundings and know of the consiquences the only thing i can tell you from a kid to a parent is that you know in your hearts of hearts you can trust your son and that you know he will make mistakes just be there for him guide him and just be a dad , you know he will speed shoot if no one wanted to go fast they wouldnt buy the bikes we ride today so basically i am saying trust him and tell him its not a toy cuz i found out the hard way and now know that in a second it can not only change your life but others as well ..... sorry for rambling and got carried away for some reason
rant.gif
i dont know but take care and tell your kid be careful ....sorry for your loss god bless

Thanks again everyone ... I will keep reading your messages and I'll forward them to him. Everything is going to be alright!

DJ

Hey dad! I registered here as you can see. I know that you are concerned as any parent would be, but I share the same attitude as DaddyPhatSaks. I think about you every time I start the engine of my bike. I know what my bike is capable of, but at the same time I know that I can't predict what is going to happen around me, so I am always preparing myself for the worse. As you know, I bought my bike yesterday and I have already put 260 miles on it, so I am trying to learn and get as much experience on the road as possible. I even had my first scare today. I was pulling off the road to turn around and the only place I saw was a new road that they were making on the left shoulder. As I slowed down to pull onto the road, I realized that the cars behind me weren't going to let me slow down too much because they were running up my butt, so I slowed as much as possible and as I crossed the oncoming traffic lane I realized that it was a gravel road that I was turning on. I knew that I had no idea what was about to happen so I just tried to keep the bike as straight as possible and as soon as I hit the gravlel and dirt my back tire kicked out to the left and all I could remember is what you told me you did when your tire whipped out coming around a turn, so I stomped the ground with my right leg and the bike stood up and straightened out and I stopped with no problem (though it was pure luck). I know that had you not told me about situations like that I would have probably applied more brake and layed my new bike in the gravel, but thanks to your advice I learned a tough lesson, but the easy way. I don't race (with the exception of you in the future) and I don't try to stunt, so I can promise you that you don't have to worry about me doing any of that. I do have a need for speed and often find myself speeding without even realizing it. I will make sure that I am as careful and aware of my speed as much as possible. My bike is a beast but I control the throttle so I will make sure that I ride the bike and the bike never rides me. I know and accept that I am a beginner, so I will ride within my limits. As for all of you Busa fellas, good luck when you meet a ZX-10. You better just hope that there is atleast a mile long straight if you plan on staying on that throne that you now occupy. Just kidding! I do love my bike though. Anyway, thank you all for the advice you are giving and I will continue to listen and learn as much as possible.

Welcome to the board Adonis its cool place to learn new things about pretty much everything and the older guys here give alot of advice and respect to everyone i guess thats the reason why i am always on this site even though i don't own a busa (i love my r1 too much), this is probably the only forum about bikes that everyone gets respect !!! quick thinking on your little mishap today cars dont respect us dont give us any room. so my dad always told me when i got my bike he doesnt worry about me he worries about the idiots in the cars that pay no attention !!! especially them people who expect to see everything by looking in their mirrors when you have blind spots , cant see everything i mean come on now anyways i am just wasting time here , you got insurance on the bike right? cuz you know you dont have to here in florida but i hope you do or you will end up like the idiot i am and have none so take care of yourself and ride safe oh and by the way dont mess with r1's you will have your a$$ handed to you j/k lata dude

Okay son ... welcome to the board ... listen and learn ... and respect the folks here and the Busa ... and we'll respect you right back
biggrin.gif
... glad you're here
blush.gif

DJ

Adonis? LOL - I like the name! Please be CAREFUL on that bike, it is a real beast that can bite you. Just drive it alot, on back roads out of town, and practice throttle control ALOT. DJ, I also had a history of speeding in a cage prior to getting my first bike (97 GSXR 600 at age of 19) but when I got on the bike for the first time I had a real reality check, namely that I didn't want to die. I can't say that I slowed down on that bike, or my Hayabusa now, but I am MUCH more careful on it than I am in the cage. Not to say that I'm unsafe in the cage, but I do tend to take more risks than I should. Speeding tickets aren't a big concern on the Busa because I usually ride back roads that have few (but some) cops. When I get in town I slow down and stay far away from all cagers, and I mean far. I recommend you do the same Adonis, especially until you log alot of "flight time." It sounds like Adonis has a good head on his shoulders, a great dad to give him advice, and a real dose of reality after loosing his brother in an auto accident - just exercise that and you'll be fine. But seriously - please take it easy on that bike, it is no joke.

Thanks for the advice Maoz! By the way my real name is Adonis, so I am not a conceited chump like most would take from thinking that I picked it out of the air. Anyway, how do you like that Scorpio alarm? I am having one installed on Friday and haven't heard too much about them. Also, someone recommended adding a Scott's steering dampner to my bike because they say it is a little twitchy when you accelerate really hard. I personally haven't had this problem, but I am still breaking my bike in and haven't really opened it up yet. Would like anyone's imput on that if you have any advice.

Right on Adonis and Welcome !! No worries dad, sounds like he is extremely mature and knows what to expect.
cool.gif

Thanks for the advice Maoz! By the way my real name is Adonis, so I am not a conceited chump like most would take from thinking that I picked it out of the air. Anyway, how do you like that Scorpio alarm? I am having one installed on Friday and haven't heard too much about them. Also, someone recommended adding a Scott's steering dampner to my bike because they say it is a little twitchy when you accelerate really hard. I personally haven't had this problem, but I am still breaking my bike in and haven't really opened it up yet. Would like anyone's imput on that if you have any advice.
Sup Adonis, ya know you might be the first non-Busa member to get a banner, but glad you've got the right head on your shoulders. As long as you remember to drive within your abilities you'll be okay. You'll start to notice you become a better defensive driver in your car after you begin your two-wheeled experience.

Let me know how the scorpio alarm sounds, I know Haywood had one recently installed so you may want to direct any technical questions his way.

As for the driving fast and stunting, believe me it's going to come. I remember saying the same thing and look at a brotha now. Anyway be safe and I'll cont to pray for you and your pops.

God bless and welcome to the board bro.

BigDawg

banner_metalic.jpg

Back