Threatening my Son

SnapAttack

Donating Member
Registered
Sorry for lengthy post but had to paint a picture.

My son is in 4th grade and gets mistaken for 2nd/3rd all the time due to his small physical attributes. There's this 6th grader in the neighborhood been having probs with all year. They use to be freinds until we got calls of fights and rock throwing. I broke up a fight in my front yard where the boy was chased down by another boy he hit with a rock. I said enough and ended the relationship. After that the boy went south with my son and started with name calling. Then the bus driver broke up a fight at the bus stop where my son got pounded pretty good. Next incident the boy (and a freind) chased my son down and knocked him off his bike. I never confronted the parents. Good time for my son to learn to stand up for himself no matter the odds. Well almost. Yesterday there was another fight and I came on it. When the other boy saw me he (and 5 freinds 6th/7th) fled the scene. My son (and 1 freind 4th also) said the boy threatened him verbally with a knife but never actually saw it. I decided to confront the parents. I told the dad that I was not there to blame, point fingers or accuse anyone of anything but wanted to start some conversation on the issues. Boys will be boys but the mention of a weapon needed investigation. Before I could say another word he began expaining how he had talked to the kids (his boy's freinds) and that my son is a bully, rock thrower, name caller and probably had it coming to him. Blew me away. I was in this guy's house and did not want to disrespect that so I let him talk. When he was done I told him that my son had been coming home and talking with me about each incident. How many kids in the "wrong" go bragging to their parents and did has his son been mentioning mine? He didn't answer which tells me no. I told him that it was my experience that a bully picks on smaller/isolated kids not the other way around as he describes and I thanked him politely and started to leave. I told him that bullys usually are not afraid to leave the house like mine is. When I got to outside the house I turned and said there was one more thing. I forgot to mention that several weks ago I equipped my son with a portable recording device. I took the recorder out of my pocket and played him a verbal confrontation several weeks ago with his boy threatening to beat up my son in a very offensive manner. I also told him that I have several (which I do) and the mornings incident was also recorded (unfortunately only a portion got recorded/no knife mention) and since he decided to pursue the conversation in the manner he did, I would be filing an incident report with law enforcement. Oh yeah, BTW, I heard you passed the bar exam (lawyer). Guess we'll get a chance to see what your made of... happy holidays.

What would you do next if anything? My son REALLY doesn't want to leave the house now in fear of confrontation.

Thanks for listening and happy hoidays as well.

Unfortunate situation. I'm going thru a similar thing here. My son is 12, never wants to go out.....and I think is too embarassed to talk to me about it. I make him go out and confront his issues. Not sure what else to do.

I feel your pain......at least my sons bullys are his own age. Protect your child.

Dam snap, sorry to hear about the grief.. I feel the same as 05LE.. Start documenting every problem you can with the police and provide as much evidence as possible so there is no doubt who the problem child is.. The parents and kid should both get tired of that real quick..

I beleve in getting local law enforcement involved in such matters. Around here, they love to be involved in such matters. Yes, here they will arrest and charge little kids for such behavior. Once the cops come around with"there's been a complaint aganist your child" things change real quick. Why? Because most parents know their children and what there capable of.

Had a similar situation w/ my daughter. Boy on the bus was beating up on her daily. I told her to fight back, when she did, he(7yr old) threatened her w/ a knife. You NEED to contact the school and the LEOs. In todays society, you cannot take any chances because if you do then you may be visiting a cemetary. Not something I was going to risk

Sounds like someone's father needs to take a kid behind the woodshed for a good ole fashion come to jesus talk...

Take care of your family Snap...hopefully that father will do the same and the situation will resolve itself quick, gluck...

Thanks all... trying to keep it a great holiday season for the family. School break 2 weeks and won't leave the house does not compute with me but don't want to push too hard.

sounds like you are doing the right thing, just a suggestion though..maybe some martial arts training would help him out in the future?? i`ve been in it all my life and all my kids have been in it and are all black belts(some 2nd degree) and my oldest an instructor. not to say they go around beating up on everyone, it`s usually the opposite because after a few scraps the other kids know to leave them alone and they look for someone else to pick on. of course this isn`t an instant fix but may help down the road??? it will also build confidence and self esteem that they will sometimes lose after being picked on. just my .02

Very sorry to hear of this..
Going through a similar situation with my 5 year old daughter on the bus ride home from school.. Last week a boy punched her in the eye while just before her stop. This all happened on a day I happend to be off and suprizing the kids  at the bus stop.

Needless to say when I saw  my little girls tears before the bus even came to a stop I went military!! I wanted answers and accountability right away!!!
My daughters older brother who is 7 was on the bus with her and confimed to me that a "boy" hit his sister, I asked him what he did to defend his sister and he told me he kicked the boy... My 7 year old son is a kind hearted blue belt in karate..  

No english speaking parents were availbe for me to speak to in regards to the little boy, so I angrily spoke to the young man myself...
I let him know that men dont hit women ... Boys dont hit girls...
I then told him that my 7 year old son would hit him 2x for every one time he touched my daugther..
( I admit that was my anger talking but im old school ) ...

Next i had to go home and explain to my wife why our little girl was so upset, which after looking the hurt on my wifes face (tears) just infuriated me all over again.. All of this prompted a father son talk with my 7 year old son about the importance of taking care of and watching over family, I reminded him that I tell him before school every day to take care of his little sister...  
Fast forward a couple of days and we get a call home from the Assistant Principal of the kids school, asking what happened..

Bottom line, we have to take care of or familys, wifes and kids..
We have to teach our kids that unfortunatly they will meet many people in life young and old that basically are not good people.  
We cannot send our kids out into the world only equipped to deal with good, but also with the oppsite of good, (what ever you wish to call that)  

Because we or our children are good people, does not mean that we are willing to be harmed or taken advantage of...
Love your kids and gently promote them to stand up for themselves even when its painfull and not popular... They will be stronger in the end because of it..

Dress him up like this and be done with it...
rofl.gif

s.jpg

I agree w/Devil Dog up until the point a weapon is involved
now it is time for you to intervene and you took the first
step by contacting his parents. If his Dad does not resolve
the issue then it is time to call in the LEO or you can send
my son a plane ticket and he can resolve it.

Sounds like your doing the right thing.

Doesn't sound like the bullying will stop after talking to the parent though.

If anything happens after this point, definitely contact the police.

If that doesn't work. And I'm sure it won't unless some serious harm is done.

Find your own bully, like a older nephew or have your son make friends with an older kid. Because this kid needs a beat down. The bullying will stop.

Notify the police AND the school. The school is responsible for the child's safety while on the bus and at school. If these kids can't get to you son in the neighborhood, they will come after him at school or on the bus. Best to let the authorities at the school know so they can help you keep your son safe.

I am very impressed by how you handled the situation so far, recording device was a great idea as was your patience and calm but firm demeanor with the other father. I do not think I would have been able to stay so composed.

Follow through with the report to the police, and I would be interested to hear what comes of your situation.

Happy Holidays!

Yeah it sounds like you should make an issue of it. sounds like the other kids might be going of the rails a bit. gathering strength sort of thing. too much television can warp your mind. always best to keep these things in check don't you think.

1146.jpg

Had a similiar issue with my Son... get the police involved, the school in on it and the bus driver/company. With us it just kept going on until we notified all involved including the other kids parents (didn't help much there because Mom was like my boy doesn't do that)... anyways after getting everyone notified and reports filed the kid was brought up on charges for assault (as was my Son for defending himself), also the kid has a report now for breaking windows in the neighborhood (5th wheel became target)... just keep up with talking to your Son and let him know its ok to fight when defending oneself, but not to start it.

Things have settled in the neighborhood, but there is still some tension between the kids when they are all outside...

Good luck.

Sounds like you are doing what you need to do. Bet you will have little difficulty following this conversation.

This reminds me of when I was younger. I must have been about 8 or 9 and my younger female cousin (7 or 8) had a neighborhood bully picking on her. My uncle asked me if I wanted to spend the weekend with them so I could play pool. Of corse I said yes. I was out side playing in the drive way and this kid next door comes over and just smaks my cousin in the face and pushes her. I Run over to him and beat the crap out of him.. My Uncle was watching from the living room window and he comes out and says good job. But you didn't have to blacken both eyes. But he never messed with her again. If he was out when I came over to visit. He would always go inside.

Back