So my Dad was diagnosed with cancer

Rylinkus

Registered
A little background:
Im 28 years old, my dad 54. My parents divorced when I was 5 and my mom did a pretty good job of destroying me and my dad's relationship until I was in college. Since college we've been working on being father and son and all. And I think we're probably now as close as any father son combo, even without having ever played catch with my dad or many other typical father son type things.

Anyway, recently they diagnosed him with Prostate cancer. It doesnt seem to have spread, but his prostate has enough cancer that theyre concerned it may have and they merely havent found it.

He was scheduled to have it removed on friday, but cancelled surgery on Thursday, deciding to seek a 3rd opinion to see if surgery, is indeed, better than radiation in this case.

The worst part of it is that he's very nervous and Im about all he's got. 2 Ex wives dont talk to him, so it's me and my 16 yo half sister as far as support goes. It's hard to know what to say. He's worried about our vacation needing to be cancelled. I keep trying to assure him his health is far more important to me that a trip. Then he starts talking about possible impotence and urinary issues if the prostate is removed. And I want to tell him that any side effects are minor compared to death. But it's a lot easier to think like that when you're not thinking about the possibility of life in a diaper or explaining to a future GF that you're limited as far as sex goes.

Anyone have any advice? I want to be supportive and all, but I don't know what to say as far as some of his concerns go.

Thanks guys.

Ryan,
Sorry to hear of the diagnosis, anytime you here the "C" word it scares the crap out of you. Prostate cancer is typically very slow moving and it is very treatable if caught early. Sometimes surgery isn't even prescribed, they hit it with radiation or plant radioactive 'seeds' in it to kill the cancer. There is a lot of information available on line and you should do some research to satisfy your own curiosity. It is always good to be well informed of the medical condition and its treatments when dealing with doctors. Sometimes you need to be able to ask the right questions.
Good luck and best wishes for your fathers speedy and complete recovery.

no advice for you but im sorry to hear what you and your dad are going through. just stick by him, the rest he'll figure out in due time

Yer pretty much fugged Bro.

The stuff that goes along with that cancer is nasty from you tell us.

Not just one problem...more like 4.

If you really want to help...just listen.
Thats it.Just listen. We all like to feel that we can understand the feelings,and step into anybody's shoes.But we can't. Just listen and play off that. Some men like to joke about such things.Maybe he will go that way. Maybe it will be a topic never to be discussed.

Just listen,hear,understand and process. Then offer up whats nessecary.

Rubb's 2 cents. and no,I can not make change.
laugh.gif

RSD.

Thanks guys....

The radioactive seed method is out. It was not caught early enough.

The concern is it's spread even though it hasn't been found. If it has he'll need radiation even with the prostate having been removed. So he'll still need radiation on top of any of the side effects from the prostate removal affecting him. The radiologist he saw wasn't overly optimistic about radiation killing all of the cancer. So he thought it needed to be removed. Then any other cancer would supposedly be easier to find. And easier to kill. The urologist thought along the same lines. Prostate removal gave him the best odds of living the longest. (At 54 we're not talking prolonging his life for 5 years until old age takes over. He could live 30 more years.) So now we're talking third opinion, of which he'll probably get the same answers. But, as I told him, this is a BIG decision. Doing more research and getting more opinions can only help.

Ryan

Go to www.webmd.com and read up on it. Then you at least can follow along with the doctors' comments and, hopefully, give your dad some encouraging words.
I'll be sending postive thoughts his way... please let us know.

sorry to hear bro my dad was just diagnosed as well..my parents were divorced before i was born..he doesnt really even talk to me so i cant even be here for him in his time of need..my brother is doing a tri-athalon fund raiser in chicago for the cancer reserch folks so if you are looking to do any donations check this out www.firstgiving.com/jaysonkroner its really my only way of giving back since we dont really speak...i also lost both of my grandparents to this ugly disease as well all i can suggest is stay strong and do whatever you can to be there for him...lots of praying as well...if you donate it goes to the reserch people for all types of cancer not to my farther so check it out and ill say a prayer for you and your family...godbless and stay strong...

There is only so much a stranger can say, but cancer is IMHO going to kill everyone in North America. My Mom died in December and my Sister in February, both from cancer. My Mom in law is fighting throat cancer right now.

With prostate cancer you seem to have a good chance of beating it from what I have heard, get him into treatment asafp.

Build on the relationship you have started with your Dad, and DO NOT miss a moment to ask him anything you need to know, tell him anything you need him to know. He is fighting for his life right now brother, and you both need to use this time wisely.

Keep us posted, and thoughts and prayers on the way.

Wish I had comforting words, I feel for you my freind. Best of luck to your Dad. I am sure alot of others feel the same way. But just dont know what to say.

I just never know what to say. Two of our very best friends contracted cancer in the past year and one of them has since passed away. Her husband has 5 to 10 years if all goes well and then the cancer will take his life as well.

We just talk and listen. When he wants to talk about her, we talk with him about her. When she was alive, we were fortunate enough to say goodbye.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, make the most of every moment you have with your father. They are precious beyond words.

--Wag--

Godspeed on a full recovery for your Dad. Your family is in our prayers.

Very sorry to hear. I will be keeping you both in my thoughts.

My Father-n-Law had prostate cancer several years ago and had it removed. When they removed it they also implanted a pump to make that certain part still somewhat usable for sex and other reasons. There was also an experimental surgery to transplant a nerve that made that certain part work as always without a pump. That HAS to be done at the same time as the prostate is removed for any chance that it will work. They did not consider this option for my F-n-L because of his age which was late 70's at the time. I will ask my wife(RN) if she remembers the specifics and get back with you asap about this procedure.

Printed those out and also printing out the 130 page guide to prostate cancer from the prostate cancer foundation. Ill probably take the bike down to my dad's place this eve and give him the printed copies as I can read up online.

Thanks for all the good thoughts and helpful links guys. It's just scary as hell. Cancer is such a nasty disease. I've seen a few relatives succumb to it.

Anyway, thanks again. I'll keep you posted on any new news.

Rylinkus,

Sorry to hear about your dad

I will give you the same advice my pastor once gave me in regards to trying to comfort someone who either is dealing with a health issue themselves, dealing with the loss of someone close to them, dealing with any really emotional issues.

First, dont ever try to tell someone you know what they are going through, because most of the time you dont.

Second, dont try telling them everything will be ok, because most of the time you dont know if that is true or not.

The best thing you can do is just not only be there for him, but make sure he knows you will be there for him. thats all you can do. show him you care and that you will be there right by his side no matter what happens and he wont have to go through it alone.

Thats the best advice I can think of.

Just positive thoughts for your Dad Ryan...I hope he asks plenty of questions and has access to a great pool of doctors...with cancer, a patient's knowledge and attitude are paramount to the treatment and healing process...
smile.gif

Please keep us posted and you're a good son for being there for him. If you need anything, let us know...

DUDE: I can tell you all about this. Everything you need to know.

I am a survivor.

Please ring me up (619-252-1004). I have a ton of information based upon experience.

I want to help.

Scar

Back