So my Dad was diagnosed with cancer

Scar, will do. I'll PM you to find a good time.

Me and my dad had a long conversation last night about the whole scenario. Lots of little things. He's worried he's gonna ruin our planned vacation. I told him it's not a big deal. New Mexico will still be there next year. Heck, it's been there for quite some time. Wants me to come down for surgery, (Assuming he goes said route) and help give him nerve. That I can do. In any case, he's seeing another DR today. So maybe he'll have something new to share. Thanks for all the thoughts.

Keep us posted and let him know he's in our thoughts and prayers...
smile.gif

Friends:

This diagnosis is in no way a death sentence.

My PSA numbers were termed 'stratospheric' and the cancer grade and level were both grim looking.  I had three 'second' opinions, and one doctor actually told me to arrange my affairs and to 'make myself comfortable'.  I was beyond radiation seed implants and beyond surgery--simply too late.  Additionally, considering my age, my doctor decided surgery was too chancey when he factored in the potential resultant 'quality of life'.

I have a friend who works at Stanford University in Palo Alto.  She got her boss to meet with three other doctors who formed a 'tumor board'.  The board reviewed each and every detail of my case, as well the actual slides on which the cancer cells were wiped during the biopsy, etc.  I flew to San Jose to meet with the board whose recommendation mirrored that of my own doctor, which made my treatment path an easy choice.

I opted for their recommendation; radiation (once daily for 8 weeks; 6 weeks general pelvic and 2 weeks prostate-specific) and total hormone blockade (prostate cancer feeds on testosterone).

The worst parts of this therapy are:
1.  The biopsy.  Invasive (very painful) and dehumanizing.
2.  The hormone blockade.  Temporary machismo erradication.
3.  Wondering if your efforts will be in vain.

Please understand that when I was receiving this news, three years ago, I was 43 years old...about 30 years too early for this.

Still feel free to call me.  The best time is between 8-10 nightly, San Diego time (PDT).  If I can talk at length, I will...if not, we can set up something more workable.

Remember...your father's mental frame will be the biggest tool in this unwanted battle.  He must achieve and maintain a positive mental state and he will beat it.

Edit this however you must for his processing capacity, but be sure to give him the good stuff.

Looking forward to your call.

Scarbelly

Back