My Step-father could use your help today

VaBusa

oRg Gal
Staff member
Administrator
Donnie's been battling colon cancer for nearly 4 years now.  After a couple of years of what we thought was remission, it's come back with a vengeance.  He now has stage 4 colon cancer, affecting his bladder and kidneys; yesterday he had an emergency CT SCAN only to find out that tumors are in his brain.  They saw two and said there may be more too small to show up with the scan.

Today he's in the hospital, having a "filter" put in his leg to "catch" blood clots, then by Friday, he'll be starting the first of 10 radiation treatments on his brain, hoping to help alleviate further damage from the tumors. Previous to yesterday's news, Donnie opted to stop all treatments; he's pretty much exhausted them all over the last year.

My Mom's holding up very well, staying strong for him; I honestly don't know how she's doing it. I know that the last year has really taken a toll on them both.  Just pass along some good thoughts and prayers his way today, if you would...

Here it goes...Michelle's PSA -

AND, I encourage you GUYS to think about getting screened for cancer.  I've been preaching to my father about it lately; he doesn't want to hear it.  He's of the mind set that "what you don't know, won't hurt you".  Watching my step-father go down like he has is nothing short of tragic.  A perfectly healthy, active man in his early 60's and now he's in the battle of his life and losing ground.  I also got news within the last week that my Uncle has prostate cancer and is getting ready to undergo treatment for that...

Think you're too young to worry about these things?  I have a family member that battled prostate cancer (and won) when he was in his early 30's...

So, guys, please go get regular physicals, and think about the various cancer screenings available.  Women routinely go for physicals and I'm getting ready to enter the painful, yet necessary realm of mammograms myself.  In light of what I've witnessed with my step-father, I know I'll be going for a colonoscopy when I get a little older. Men seem to be a bit less concerned about such things, at least that's my experience with the men in my life.  
rock.gif

Just get checked...it could save your life...and encourage your brothers, fathers and grandfathers to do the same...

Michelle, prayers and good thoughts going out to the Step-Father. I understand what you are saying about cancer and getting checked out, lost my Grandfather and my Godfather to cancer.

I am truly sorry to hear about your stepfather. I lost my father to cancer and I know how debilitating it can be. My prayers are with you and your family.

I hope your stepdad can make the most of the time he has. Indeed, I hope that for all of us.

I'm turning 40 this year and I'm starting the screenings for all that stuff the week after my birthday.

--Wag--

I hope your stepdad can make the most of the time he has.  Indeed, I hope that for all of us.

I'm turning 40 this year and I'm starting the screenings for all that stuff the week after my birthday.

--Wag--
Thanks guys...it means a lot...I'll likely print this off for my Mom so she knows she's not alone; too many stories of you guys losing loved ones to cancer too...
sad.gif

Donnie's trying to make the best of the time he has...my hubby delivered a golf cart to his house last weekend, hoping to get him outside but not having to walk around too much because he tires easily and is weak...he was riding around in it with his dog by his side.
smile.gif

I was really hoping that with Spring finally here and the warmer and longer days ahead, he'd feel like getting out more, but it seems that he's taking one hit after another lately...

Thanks again for your thoughts...he should be in surgery now...

Very sorry to hear that, I wish your family the best. Lost my Grandfather to prostate cancer.

Best wishes to your family Shells. The attitude makes a big difference in recovery of stuff. My prayers go with you.

I'm praying for your family and successful treatment for Donnie. Good advice about getting a regular physical and screenings.

Michelle, My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, stay strong and positive! Tony.

Sorry to hear about your step father, I wish you and your family all the best. I lost my grandmother to cancer  
sad.gif

Rich

Michelle,

Really sorry to hear about the cancer. My best to you and your family and great advice on screenings - alot of this can be caught before its too late.

Kent

You and your family are in my prayers. Remember to keep the faith. Everything will be ok.
smile.gif

Thank you guys...got my signals crossed yesterday...he's going in to surgery today at 2:45...

Blonde moment...
blush.gif

I just want him to be well enough to go back home...means a lot to him to NOT be in the hospital right now...

Back