Met a fellow rider today. . .

pure_ego

enzyme of hypoverbage
Donating Member
Registered
ok, most of you guys normally try to figure out my exceptionally bad grammatical meaderings when I type stuff so i thought i'd share this. You are forewarned that my last English prof suicided after the third re-write I hadda do, and it's long.

I'm not gonna get to exact on details since it is possible for him to stumble across it afterall..

So about a month ago I get a sales call. (I sell chevrolets if ya didn't know) This guy is asking about a used tahoe we've got in stock and everything seems pretty normal and whatnot.. Then he drops the bombshell .. "I got bad credit, had alot of medical problems a few years back, divorce. etc. etc."

Pretty normal story unfortunatly. I didn't ask any details cuz to be honest.. bad credit = waste of time 99% of the time when you work commision. I just went thru the motions getting the credit app. and whatnot.. Now you'll need a little info here to understand my point of view.. probably 9 out of 10 people don't suddenly have a major emergency or whatever and simply CAN'T keep up with bills and stuff.. most just don't pay and use that stuff as excuses.

Imagine my suprise when I pull the CBI and everything before about '00 is perfect.. never missed a payment all that jazz, had a home, 2 cars, had a j-o-b and all. After that everything goes to literal SHEEEIT.. nothing is getting paid. Home is foreclosed, 1 repo and running late on the other car. literally dozens of medical collections with HUGE amounts each.. like 30, and 40K each. Close to 500,000$! He had insurance.. what I'm seeing is the parts the insurance didn't pay. He later told me the medical bills topped 2 million before it was all over.. even though it's still on going. Atleast 2 more surgeries 5 years after the fact..

Now, i dunno if it's a well known fact, but at any rate it's a fact that some dealerships will co-sign your loan for you if you have some scratch down and they think your a good risk. (they get paid well.. don't think too good of us in our "helping the poor guy out" routine too fast.. lol It's all fueled by greed.)

This guy kinda falls into that category.. assuming he's not a total flake and seems to have his crap atleast partially straightened out.. I tell him to come by and look at the vehicle and we'll see what we can do.

The guy "bob" comes in and he's obviously had a pretty damn rough accident of some sort. One leg is for all purposes locked in a straight out position. Both arms have large scars up the inside and it takes a full 30 seconds for him to get leveraged out of the car he's driving. He gets around ok after he gets going, but damn if it doesn't look difficult.

We sit and talk for a few minutes about this and that and I finally can't help myself and ask what happened..

Turns out he was big time into motorcycles few years back. Which of course leads to big motorcycle discussions between us, and basically locks up the co-signing thing as far as I'm concerned hahah. Thats basically all the "car dealer" stuff since it doesn't have much to do with the rest of it.

He came in today to do the downpayment sign up on the contract and drive off in the 94 montero sport we got lined out for him..

I mentioned that we talked alot about bikes and such the first time I met him.. He's since showed me a pretty hefty photo album of pics with riding buddies, old bikes, pics of him at trackdays, at the MSF course, his daughter sitting on his bikes all kinds of pics like that.

First thing I notice is that in every pic he, and his buds are full leathers/helmets/boots/gloves the works. Few seconds after that I realize that the pics of the bikes he has were the bikes I was drooling over when I was a wee lad.

First gen GSXR's FZR, orignal ZX series bikes ya know.. the good #### from the 80's/90's. He's 40ish now.. Then he shows me pics of the bike he crashed with.. (bet you saw that coming eh?) late 90's gsxr750. the ones that still had the SRAD stickers on the rear hump. Real wide at the back. Got the aftermarket pipes, couple "character" stickers here and there. Bike looks basically mint in every picture. It's obvious he liked his bikes ya know. Even the way he talks about em' It would be obvious even to a non rider that he knew/knows bikes. Got pics from the local drag strip 1/8mi. running mid/high 7's the best he can remember. Just a "RIDER" and it's obvious he still diggs em.

He told me about the crash..

and ever since then I haven't been able to stop thinking about it. I'm not sure what sharing it will help or whatever.. but all afternoon when me and the wifey were ridin' the busa I just kept thinking about the pics, the story, and everything he lost just for riding.

Him and two other friends all hooked up at the local gas station to go out and do some riding. Nothing major, just a nice saturday ride. All geared up for the crash and all that jazz. The hit a few back roads and were just basically enjoying the ride..

In his words they weren't really going all that fast.. anywhere between 40-60mph on a two lane country type road in middle tennessee. Speed limit was 55 BTW..

Not burnin' the road, but not letting any grass grow under them either..

Come around a turn and their is a ATV, and a truck parked in the road "shootin' the bull". He's the second bike of the three..

the truck is in their lane.. so nowhere to go there, there is a gap around the ATV, but they are already moving around the curve pretty good.. first rider low sides trying to get stopped, and get far enough into the other lane to miss the ATV.. Bob remembers that part plainly, but not the rest. He says he does remember knowing that the only chance he had was to try to thready the needle between the ATV, and truck.

Now obviously going slower and being more cautious would have prevented it.. or more space between riders..,, or a million other things,, but it doesn't really matter at this point.. it's all done ya know.

the third bike ended up hitting the ditch on the rh side of the truck by the way and also crashed.

the aftermath..

he's since learned that he didn't clear the truck.. you can tell from the pics.. musta hit the rear bumper with the left headlamp. busted the triple tree, headlamp and a buncha other junk on the right side of the bike.. totalled of course.. nto that it matters.. but anyway.

His pelvis broke in three places.. leg/knee/femur are basically destroyed. arms broken.. buncha other stuff.

He showed me where they opened him up to fix the inside.. (internal bleeding i'm assuming) he's got a scar going from below the belt line to basically the bottom of his rib cage. surgery scars from a few inches above the wrist to almost the elbow. i have no idea what for.. but they are like that on both arms. He said that his leg was basically one big scar from a little below the knee to the hip. Lots of metal bits and screws keeping it all together in some semblance of a leg.

As if thats not enough...

he's disabled for life of course.. went from a 46k a year job to drawing 1100$ a month.. living in a tiny apartment at a VFW where he answers the phones and hangs out with the VFW'ers and basically twiddles his thumbs. His wife left him for one of his friends while he was in rehab learning to walk again.. she also took the only car they had left at the time, and his kid.

In short..

he lost it all.

I think part of the reason it's so disturbing to me is I could whip out a photo album that looks so mirror like to his it scares me to death.

pics of him and the riding buddies at dragstrips, tracks, just goofin' around.. I got those..

pics of the kids on the bike.. yeah..

basically everything he's got in that album I can show you my version of on this computers hard drive.. i'm sure some of you do too.

it doesn't matter than it was mainly the idiots sitting in the roads fault.. doesn't much help with they didn't have insurance either.(in Tennessee it's a law to have it) That the accident could have been prevented is a mute point also I think..

To me it all keeps coming back to this..

He did everything he was supposed to.. MSF courses, plenty of good gear,.. all that and he's still effed up for life.

I asked him if he still liked bikes.. and he said "Yeah I love em'.. I can tell you the dry weights of probably every new model bike out.. including your hayabusa... but even if I could ride I wouldn't. I'll never ride one again.. it's just not worth it man"

Don't get me wrong.. I love my bike, I love riding.. and I can't see anything changing that.. I wanted to tell him "damn man.. what else can it do to you?? get a cruiser or something you can get that leg up on and go ride!"

I just didn't .. if the roles were changed I would feel the same as him.. It's not worth it when you compare the risks..

so why keep doing it? Thats where i'm at right now.. maybe it'll go away in a few days,, or maybe it won't.

i can still remember my dads big bikes when i was little. The stands used to sink into the pavement on hot days in our driveway.. "Don't touch it ego, those pipes will burn you!" all that stuff..

I can even remember the guy that came and bought his when he had his third child a few weeks after he wrecked on that oily stuff they put down when their paving and broke his wrist.. He didn't start riding again until he bought a dirt bike to go ride with me on mine.. Now he's riding again, got streetbike and all that jazz.. but then again his family is all grown up now too..

I dunno.. it's all pretty wild in ego's head about now.

sorry to be killjoy here at the beginning of riding season..

this is offically my longest ever post..

this should count as 26 posts for me.. Cache.. see to it that my post count is adjusted!

I've thought about the dangers many times but it always comes back to this.
I've done most of this thinking since my friend Steve was killed at the beginning of the year.
I'm going to share a few short stories.

a couple hundred thousand people died just after Christmas, many of them hanging out on the beach, some eating breakfast. Just doing normal stuff.

at least once a week I hear of someone being killed in an auto accident around here, just going about life as normal.

I have another friend that has a daughter about my age. I'm 39, her husband went into the hospital about a week ago because he wasn't feeling well. He died today.
Sunday before last an old lady leaves our church, I didn't know her, she had only begun coming the previous week. It was after the evening service, she rolled her Jazzy (electric chair scooter thingy) out and for some reason went down the road in the road and was hit and killed by the pizza delivery guy.

This may sound mean, but I see old people all over the state of florida, many of them so fat they can't even walk, they are mean and act like they hate the world. (I do meet nice old people too, but they are not the norm).

My point is, I think it is better to live life, enjoy life, do what you enjoy doing. You could trip over your dog tomorrow morning and bump you head on a piece of furniture, or attempt to cross the street and get hit by the old lady with the cataract glasses on who can't see you. Any number of things could happen and you could die tomorrow. Wouldn't it be a shame to try to live a safe life, free of any hazzardous activity just to die old and miserable, or in some stupid way like tripping on the dog.

Kev

It really makes you feel for that guy. Not really doing anything wrong, and then "boom"...everything gone. That does stink, and I can see how it might change your outlook on riding.
Atleast the guy is able to walk and function for the most part normally. The good lord was looking after him even if it doesnt appear that way.
I was hit by a car last july on my 1986 GSXR1100. I was pulling out of my driveway. I live in a semi-blind curve. When I pulled out, the car was not there ( I DID look). The guy was speeding, but I still ended up getting partially charged with the accident.
Anyway, I was VERY fortunate. I was not hurt (except for soreness and a little road rash). The way the car hit me, my leg could have easily been cut off, but like I said the good lord was was definately looking after me.
My bike was repairable, I was unhurt, and I learned to be even more carefull. Now when I am on my Busa, I just leave plenty of room, and use as much caution as possible.

Wouldn't it be a shame to try to live a safe life, free of any hazzardous activity just to die old and miserable, or in some stupid way like tripping on the dog.
Yeah, i looked at it that way too.. but then the thoughts of what happens to my wife/daughter pops in there and it all goes wonky again.. hehe

don't misunderstand.. I'm not saying.. Hey!!! i'm freaked.. talk em outta not riding anymore..

I guess it's just another one of dem things that ya worry about after the wives, babies, bills, "be the provider, and do it right!" stuff comes into play..

god knows I wouldn't have thunked nuthin much about it at 20. Wrong place wrong time,, sucks for him,, lets go ride!!

I mean if I'm old and trip on my shitzu (spelling?) and croak atleast I made sure money for college was there and all that stuff..

assuming somethign really stupid doesn't happen.

it's just like mikeshardware, wizard, &r1steve.. most likely never saw it coming.. course I guess if your number pops outta the bubble machine in the life lotto it doesn't matter..

oh crap! i'm ran myself into an internal debate about free will, and destiny now.. crap..

I'm going to watch family guy, futurama, and aqua teen hunger force!!

nite nite

Ego, its up to the individual. Many get up after bad wrecks and ride.
Aftermy wreck, rode on the street one more time.... the things that go thru yer head after these things can make you rethink alot of your actions.

- short version -
saturday, week be4 thanksgiving '03... thought I'd go into the office for an hour to do some crap, nice enough to ride the bike one last time be4 winter...
on the way there, dude just pulls out in front of me. instead of meeting the a-pillar of the car, I threw the bike to one side, and me to the other... 60mph jump off...

totalled the bike, totalled my ass, bad shoulder,hip,yada yada... woke up in the ditch, the driver left after seeing I was still alive, and happy thanksgiving.

I'll run the hell outta any bike on the track, but never again on the street.

- glad you got the sale Bry!
biggrin.gif

- glad you got the sale Bry!    
biggrin.gif
yeah,, diaper money.. hehe too bad recourse only pays $50 no matter what kinda real money ya make..

(see told yall it was all motivated by greed! never trust a salesperson.. well cept me.. those other people are just money grubbers)

Ego,
This is why my signature line reads the way it does. I tell people all the time that it doesn't matter how good you are - you have no control over the people around you. I totaled my first bike when a lady stopped sideways in the middle of the road. No gear, no registration, no insurance. I was just turned 18. I slid about 60 ft on my ZX-11D after a guy ran me out of my lane....full gear (leathers), full coverage, fortunately no injuries. The day I registerd my blusa here in the states (I had no problems in Japan) I got hit by a car that ws speeding, at night, with his lights off. Full gear, Safety vest, insured the whole deal. Bottom line is this, IMHO - all you can do in life is hope for the best, and refuse to tempt fate by avioding the stupid sheeeeiat. I ain't knockin the guys who do 80mph up on one, followed up by a stoppie. But you won't see me doing that stuff, cause sooner or later....life will catch up.
Just my .02 Get back on her, but be careful....remember the theme is respect - for yourself (shouldn't be a prob for ego), for your scoot, and for life.

shame what happened to the guy but we all know the risks before we even buy a bike.just monday i was in my truck and some fool started coming into my lane without looking,for that matter i could step out my front door and get struck by lightning.i went to school with a girl whos mother was in the hospital dying from cancer,suddenly she starts getting better and one day her and her dad were walking out the front door of the hospital from a visit and he falls over dead with a heartattack,you never know and i aint sittin around on my hump fearing it and waiting on it til my life passes me by.when someone asks how i go i hope it can be said i went doing what i love to do.

Be well Insured! Plan ahead... Helps a great deal when I am riding knowing that the wife doesn't NEED me, that she keeps me around because I am handy and I guess warm.
smile.gif
But she'd be just fine without me and my $$$. We have a hella good insurance policy on me and excellent medical coverage. Helps me worry less...

That, and the fact that crashes and serious injuries or death are still in the vast minority and the Bathtub is still a huge killer in this country.

We all have a string we dangle by, and when fate pulls out the tin snips? Your Done, no way around it, till then? Have fun!

I think Kesler put it best. Anyone who is around bikes for any amount is exsposed to some horrific tragedys. I myself have had four major accidents in my 30 plus on two. I take full account for one of these.(DON't RIDE DRUNK!!)
Not quite a year ago the wife and I went down on a crowded interstate after a muffler fell off a car in front of us. It broke the busas front wheel and slammed us down. As we were sliding along, I was thinking:"This is it, we are going to die!" we didn't(WEAR  THE GEAR!)
 A good friend was killed when his Zrx broadsided a van on his way home from work.He left a loving wife and two fine kids, a great life
My cousin was hit on his harley, by another rider, he died.
   They both went doing something they loved. It is a risky sport. The rewards are many. Know the risks and minimize them.
 People always ask me why I don't give it up?? They don't ride, and I can't explain it to them.

Be safe.

<!--EDIT|Gundecker
Reason for Edit: None given...|1112251204 -->

Sad story..But it could happen to any of us..

I have a buddie that hit a very big rock face first..Broke alot of bones injured all of His major organs lost sight in one eye ect..they said go in and say Goodbye,he's not going to make it..

But He made it and still rides..I love bikes probably more than most people..But if that happen to Me I don't know if i would ever rider again??I have 3 kids and I need to see them grow up!!

Be safe out there,and its not always the bike rider's fault.

Very sad stories. Like we all said, everyone who has ever ridden a bike has probably been around a very bad situation. I know a friend of mine who rode a Harley got into a bad accident a few years back and don't think he's ridden since. It is a risky sport, but on the same token I'm going to live my life and enjoy it, because we could all die suddenly, even while sitting here typing on the best motorcycle forum on the net.
smile.gif

This questions plagues me nearly every, whether I'm riding or not...

I truly hate that something I love doing so much CAN have such an incredibly high cost if things go wrong, either due to a mistake I make or the stupidity of others around me...

Before a long day of riding, I never can sleep well...I toss and turn all night thinking "am I going to die tomorrow? Is it worth it? What will my kids do? Will I miss out on something with them if I go?" When I first get on the bike, my stomach's in knots...I always kiss my kids and tell them how much I love them, then I take my chances.

Is it right to make that choice? I don't know...in the back of EVERYONE'S mind, we all think about this, but then I think we all say "well, I hope THAT doesn't happen to me" and we go riding...maybe we go with more caution, or maybe we realize that running at a high speed at a particular time isn't such a good idea. Maybe we lay back a bit, watch the traffic ahead and give ourselves plenty of room. Maybe we decide not to go at all...

I don't have the answers...but, I do think about everyone I've known and known of that have paid a hefty price for this sport. I wish riding a motorcycle was just like getting in your car. How many times do you think "I may die today if I get in this car and go to work?" It's not often...

You either have to promise yourself that you'll do your best to make it back home safely for your family, or you have to pretend you don't know the bad stuff happens at all. I happen to think that those who pretend "that will never happen to me" are the ones at more risk. They haven't lost someone on a bike, or talked to those like "Bob" that have lost it all for a ride...I'd rather be informed of the possibilities over pretending there's no problem at all. I think it makes me more aware of what to look for BEFORE something goes wrong, though that in itself is certainly no guarantee...

It's a tough call, and today, I don't want to ride...
sad.gif

I guess it's just another one of dem things that ya worry about after the wives, babies, bills, "be the provider, and do it right!" stuff comes into play..

god knows I wouldn't have thunked nuthin much about it at 20. Wrong place wrong time,, sucks for him,, lets go ride!!

I mean if I'm old and trip on my shitzu (spelling?) and croak atleast I made sure money for college was there and all that stuff..
Having a 5y/o and a 1y/o these thoughts also creep into my mind. As you said at 20y/o I wouldn't have spared it a second thought. I have come to the conclusion that I can't not live my life just because of what might happen. I teach my boys to live life to the fullest, as I do. No need to be foolish, but enjoy today, because tomorrow isn't promised. I do not want my last thoughts to be "I wish I had done.........". As far as the whole college/do the right thing/provider deal, I have insurance.....

This is a very touching topic since I just found out that my wife is pregnant
biggrin.gif
All, I can say is that I have planned for the future in case something happens to me. "Something"...only the Lord knows what that is.

Luke 21:26, "Men's hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth: for the powers of heaven shall be shaken.'' Many people shall not overcome fear, but be overcome by it. As Christians, we are not to be fearful but are to trust in the Lord. Should Satan come against us with his lies and fear, we are to turn to God and ask that the fear be removed. People's fears are many. Some fear death, others are afraid of getting cancer, afraid of losing their loved ones, afraid of the house burning down, afraid of having car wrecks or afraid of flying in airplanes, afraid of the future. Others are tormented with the fear of the dark, fear of being molested or fear of staying alone. Fear is a horrible monster no matter what form it takes. After we seek God for the removal of our fear, we then should quote the Word of God concerning that subject to the devil. "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind'' (2Timothy 1:7).

Take care,
D-

This is a very touching topic since I just found out that my wife is pregnant
biggrin.gif
All, I can say is that I have planned for the future in case something happens to me. "Something"...only the Lord knows what that is.

Luke 21:26, "Men's hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth: for the powers of heaven shall be shaken.'' Many people shall not overcome fear, but be overcome by it. As Christians, we are not to be fearful but are to trust in the Lord. Should Satan come against us with his lies and fear, we are to turn to God and ask that the fear be removed. People's fears are many. Some fear death, others are afraid of getting cancer, afraid of losing their loved ones, afraid of the house burning down, afraid of having car wrecks or afraid of flying in airplanes, afraid of the future. Others are tormented with the fear of the dark, fear of being molested or fear of staying alone. Fear is a horrible monster no matter what form it takes. After we seek God for the removal of our fear, we then should quote the Word of God concerning that subject to the devil. "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind'' (2Timothy 1:7).

Take care,
D-
Hey, congrats Cuffee!!
smile.gif

A bit of good news in the middle of all of this depressing talk...

Rode my busa twice this year. Got a brother who traveled 7 hrs last night for work and is about 30 minutes from me. He also has a few bikes but not a busa and I was wanting to show him mine today but now I think I'll take the car. Lately everytime I'm on one of my rides I feel like it could be my last. Almost every year someone on this Island I live on is lost on a bike.I have to much to lose. I guess thats why I don't travel far anymore. Maybe just like I hung up the gloves one day will hang up riding? Don't know,
I love to ride but its not worth it.

Back