Message Board Suggestions.

Thought about going to a php platform instead of a cgi flat file?

Just glancing over the code I see some hard links, you should soften those up a bit, ...

You may be seeing hard links in the code but thats how they are built.  There are very few pages on this site that aren't built on the fly from php or cgi scripts.. most of the links come from variables therefore they look "hardcoded" when you just view the source.  The flat files you see are not flat at all.. almost all scripting is server side to keep the load time down.  We know what our servers can handle.. let us do the work for you puter .

I only looked at the first few lines of the code, and I found the CSS and Body BG tags both hard coded instead of soft.

LINK REL=stylesheet HREF=' TYPE='text/css'
body bgcolor='#5D5C61' background='

This is as far as I went and what I was referring to. What happens when you use hard links like that is the GET request has to be sent again and again, slowing the parse engine down. Obviously all the session variables, etc are dynamic... but those dont actually pull information in. They are whats called a post parse link, so they require user input to process. The CSS Link and Your Body tags are PRE parse tags and require processing prior to viewing and hence why they shoudnt be used. You should use hard links on POST parse links for Search Engine purposes though. I just got a report from Yahoo about a client's site today, and they wanted hard coded post parse links *shake head*.

ImageMagick: Why would you want to create an entirely new application for something so simple? That just seems like alot of work. Gallery already calls Imagemagick on command, has secure uploading, has storage, has unique naming, and most importantly has an album view with admin functions. It already has everything you need. I would just create a new album, then If size is a concern I would just adjust the 'resize' option in Gallery admin, setting it for a maximum of say 800x600. Then when users upload into the album.. the photos are resized and automatically displayed at the best resolution possible. Solving all the size problems. If you create an entirely new application you would have so many variables to contend with: sizing, uploading, storing, naming, viewing, etc.

Flat File: Do you know what I mean when I say that? What I am asking is... is this bulletin board storing the messages in a file on the server, or is it pulling from a database? You said "not flat at all" does that mean you are using a database? I perused the Ikonboard requirements and it hinted at MySql support for heavy end users. Noticeably here,

If you are running a flat file system, I would suggest getting it over to MySql. That would be a very noticeable difference. If it is on a flat file... you might want to bounce around the idea of going to phpbb or something... go totally into php and MySql,

OH, and as for the purpose of the thread.... a Babe Board.. so people can post pics of babes on bikes,
biggrin.gif

smile.gif

The good thing about IB is that you have so many features to work with and hacks are out there for everything. The end users have the ability to choose the standard IB skin, ugly for sure but has been designed for speed and functionality. We created the skins for those that wanted a different look, sure ot takes a little longer to load but the differnce on broadband is not even noticable. Even if you choose the larger skin each end user has the ability to turn the avatars, smilies and images off for faster loads. Overall the end user can adjust the load times to their connections and hardware needs. As far as the DB we are not running a flat file, we are running on MySQL and have been since the inception of the message board. I have the ability to restrict file sizes for attached images and I can even adjus the sizes in the gallery, however I use the images for other purposes and I want to accept on the board whatever the end users feel comfortable to upload. IB has come out with a new PHP bb that is very limited and at this point from all I have heard and read it is the lite version with limited features. phpbb some love it some hate it, personally for me it is so common on message boards that I think that using Ikonboard throws a differnet look and feel out ther for the guys that visit different boards. One thing that we are in the process of doing is moving all of the hayabusa.org services to a new server that is fresh and clean, we have been running on the current server for almost 2 years and there have been many changes in the site and server side applications, I think that once we get over to the new server any latency issues will be null.

I do appreciate the feedback and hope that we can make the changes on the site that everyone is looking for, it is difficult to maintain the whole thing, work a fulltime job, play with the boys, be a good husband and build a house, Dustin and Narcissus have been life savers, not to mention Cache keeping the forums in line. Keep the suggestions coming and we will try to keep changes smooth and seamless.

Captain

Nothing I said was crucial. That was just input on increasing the speed.

As for improvements, I just want a babe board,
wink.gif

Ron, go here. We try to keep the forums clean from stuff that will get us in trouble if a child, spouse, or boss should happen to be watching over a shoulder.
sarcasm.gif

I'd like to see more posts and pictures exploiting women. Pictures of T-back tug of war, coleslaw wrestling, wet tshirt contests, I really think that would make my experience here much more enjoyable.

Maybe I'm the only one, but I wouldnt want the entire website changed just for me, so do what ya wish

Mike

Edited by Cookie on Mar. 02 2003,2:48

Thas what I'm talking about! How can that be helpful?
wink.gif

Mike are you not happy with your life that you need to try to start fights just for the sake of starting them? If you truely are anti-war you sure do go to battle alot...

Marc "Howlin Mad"

Can you add a weather button. It is 19F here today and I would like to trade that in for some sunny 60F weather. Thanks in advance for your help.

PS I will pay for that service if it is too costly.

How about a common place for insurance questions? This one keeps coming up.

Back