FL Knifemaker

wow.. thats some hi dolla knives..
wow.gif

I can't even keep up with a cheap one!
I've had cases where the internet dealers immediatly double my price on the knives. It's a good position to be in as far as demend but I've adjusted my pricing accordingly!!

It may sound crazy but, I can't afford to carry one of my own custom knives either. As I mentioned above, as soon as one is finished, out the door it goes, business is business. I've actually lost a $2500 knife and trust me, that HURTS!! That's why I carry the $150 Benchmades!!

I appreciate the compliments on my work!!

FL you have a lot of talent and your knives are excellent. I have been collecting knives for a few years now and seem to never have enough.

I'm impressed that you mentioned being on the benchmade design team. I have been carrying a benchmade auto for about the last 4 years (interesting peice as it has a "national stock number" on the back side of the blade). I have had NO problems at all with any benchmade product. I tend to be very hard on my daily carry knife. I use them to cut, pry, screw, hammer, chop and occasionally eat with with no failures at all. A good diamond stone keeps it razor (well almost) sharp all the time. I just cant say enough positive things about the benchmade name.

Out of curiosity, what is your favorite steel?

I know a little (very little) about the different variations available. I seem to have the best luck with ATS34 and AUS8 (or 6) blades. I know they have a higher rockwell score but don't know much beyond that. Any insight would be welcome.

Thanks, Chris

FL you have a lot of talent and your knives are excellent.  I have been collecting knives for a few years now and seem to never have enough.  

I'm impressed that you mentioned being on the benchmade design team.  I have been carrying a benchmade auto for about the last 4 years (interesting peice as it has a "national stock number" on the back side of the blade).  I have had NO problems at all with any benchmade product.  I tend to be very hard on my daily carry knife.  I use them to cut, pry, screw, hammer, chop and occasionally eat with with no failures at all.  A good diamond stone keeps it razor (well almost) sharp all the time.  I just cant say enough positive things about the benchmade name.  

Out of curiosity, what is your favorite steel?

I know a little (very little) about the different variations available.  I seem to have the best luck with ATS34 and AUS8 (or 6) blades.  I know they have a higher rockwell score but don't know much beyond that.  Any insight would be welcome.  

Thanks, Chris
Chris,

I too put quite a few Benchmade knives through some hard use.  They make a great product.  I've been to their manufacturing facility several times and I will say this, it's totally state of the art!  The employees eat, sleep and breath the product, from initial designs through final inspection.

As far as my favorite steel...........

Right now the demand is for S30V on my user grade knives.  It's a great steel, very stainless and super tough.  The only downside is that it is VERY difficult to put a nice finish on it at the Rc (rockwell hardness) that it should be heat treated to.  

My favorite steel is D2.  It's "semi stainless", performs well for edgeholding AND it takes a nice finish.  It can also be a bit tough to field sharpen but with a little practice it can be done.

My favorite blade material (non steel) would be Stellite.  Due to being cobalt based instead of iron based it CANNOT rust.  It's very nice to work with, requires no heat treat AND it finishes beautifully.  It also performs very well. The only downside is that it's very expensive.

I would suggest you try a model with S30V steel, I think you will be impressed. Also, Benchmade has a forum off their website. All the models are discussed there at great length.

<!--EDIT|FL Knifemaker
Reason for Edit: None given...|1117412720 -->

Back