Maintenance After a Ride in the Rain

HayaWakened

Donating Member
Registered
Just curious to hear what others have to say/do, considering the current weather seems to be affecting a good many riders in the N hemisphere.

I commute on my bike and am required to ride in the rain at times (granted, not many times here in SoCal, but it is raining as I write this...and am working from home). My routine after-rain maint is to wipe down body, hose down the underside (as needed), check chain and rear sprocket, re-lube the chain, and if I'm really diligent, take a look at and clean the front sprocket.

Interested to hear the opinions of other rain riders.

I never use a hose on a bike, but I go riding in the rain(and enjoy it).
The hose is just one more way to force water where it normally may not get to.
As well as cold water against hot aluminum can cause a crack(from rapid cooling).
Clean the chain with kerosene, dry it, then Dupont teflon chain wax.
Pledge for cleaning and shining all the metal and plastic.
Bug guts? Soak with Pledge, let sit, wipe off, spray again and buff to a shine. Nothing removes bug guts easier or faster...and the bike smells like lemons.

Back in the day of Cab Over trucks we would spray the nose with PAM or equivalent when we would go to Quebec. Secadas would totally cover the front and were the devils own pain to get off. The PAM was not perfect but it helps On a truck. never tried it on a bike
I clean the chain dry and lube hand dry things like wheels and master cylinders mires and windshield But that is about it

Im a bit spoiled. I have a deionizer that wont leave water spots! Worth every penny.
Usually just spit shine with a wet wax spray. Couple times a year they get the full treatment.
Troy

https://simplechuck.com/product/double-chuck-dark-blue/

Love this thing for sure. Perfect for the bikes, rv, and fancy cars. Hell, I even use it on my huge truck so I dont have to shami it down.
As for Pledge, it is the chit. I have used it on small airplanes for many many years. Keeps nearly all the bugs off! The ones that stay can be removed with a cotton cloth. Swear by it. And yes, it smells purty too!
Troy

Love this thing for sure. Perfect for the bikes, rv, and fancy cars. Hell, I even use it on my huge truck so I dont have to shami it down.
As for Pledge, it is the chit. I have used it on small airplanes for many many years. Keeps nearly all the bugs off! The ones that stay can be removed with a cotton cloth. Swear by it. And yes, it smells purty too!
Troy
The lemon smell would go with my color too....

I’m in the minority here I guess since I use a powerwasher. I don’t get too close and never had an issue. Rain is hitting the bike at highway speed (and above LOL) and doesn’t hurt anything. My biggest bitch about riding in rain is pulling fairings to clean road crap from behind them. I polished my stainless midpipe so it usually comes off to get run over buffer after a couple rides in rain. Chain has to be cleaned after riding in rain. Rain doesn’t bother me. It’s all the crap kicked up off the road that sucks.

Amazon here I come! Pledge time lol I love the smell of lemons too.

Here ya go Steven, just for you :D
1549395387687.png

And . . . it comes in blue! . . .
1549395491852.png

Troy
That is a cool gizmo. Gonna add it to my list of needs and maybe pull the trigger when my bike is complete.

Back