Chains and Sprockets

Mr Bogus

Trouble Makers Inc.
Donating Member
Registered
Ok I can buy stock rear sprockets at $30 a pop... if you are replacing sprockets with chain every time, why spend double that on vortex or any other brand?

How many miles are people getting out of after market chains and sprockets? I am at 12.5K on the factory pieces and they are fried (think I may have gotten lucky to get home from caps house actually) I think I would have gotten better mileage out of the chain set but I ran it dry on the way to Deals gap (rain washed out all the lube and I was to dumb to lube the thing en-route)

I wonder the same thing. They last longer than any other sprockets made. Maybe not made in the teeth count needed. I wonder if the cleaning done by some remove the super lube used behind the O rings. I got 15k on my oem and a squirt of motor oil on it every now and then and its still in great shape!

The stock steel sprockets are fine but get a better quality chain.

I have always used motor oil on my chains (most manufactures suggest it also) but this chain is on the verge of catastrophic failure and if you watch it running, you can see a particular link that has worn so badly it the thing runs about half a tooth off.. scary....

I have chain wax and it washed off on the last wet run, I am going back to the chain lube I used on my old bikes (PJ1 blue)

suggestions?

Rockadaous
And yes the PJ1 will sling, the trick is to 1. warm the chain (I run the thing and hit it with my heatgun) and 2. let it sit for a time before running the bike. The solvents need a bit of time to evaporate and the lube will stay put

suggestions?

Rockadaous
And yes the PJ1 will sling, the trick is to 1. warm the chain (I run the thing and hit it with my heatgun) and 2. let it sit for a time before running the bike.  The solvents need a bit of time to evaporate and the lube will stay put
I'm very happy with the EK ZZZ on my bike, been on the bike about 14 months and you saw how I treat it.

Ek's next step down, the ZVX2, would be sufficient.

Steel is cheaper and last longer. The more expensive sprockets are light weight, generally aluminum. The reduced weight goes straight into reduced wheel weight.

And running in the rain does not wash out a modern O-ring chain. The inner lube is sealed in by the O-rings. Living in Seattle I ride regularly in the rain and clean and lube around every 500 miles, and generally pull 20k plus out of a chain. I have 13k on the current chain and sprockets and it looks like I will easily get another 10k out of it.

It sounds as though you may have damaged your O rings, are you using something harsh to clean the chain?

I got 19K out of the stock chain and sprocket.  I got screwed by the dealer on the replacement, it only went 5K.  I'm at 16K on a stock rear sproket and EK ZZZ chain.  I have a sidewinder sprocket waiting to be installed at the next chain replacement.  The sidewinder is titanium and guaranteed for life.  If I kill it, they replace it
smile.gif

life guarantee? So they don't wear out? When the chain goes can you just throw a new on the on the same old sprocket?

I think the x2 will be ok, $200 for a chain is a bit salty for me considering the riding I do.. If I was racing, I would buy the chain in a heartbeat but for my "putt putt" style, the lesser chain should be ok.. I found a new one for $110 (only one sorry guys)

As far as rotating mass weight... compared to the wheel, I doubt the sprocket is going to make much difference, I suppose if I had carbon fiber wheels, I would buy an aluminum sprocket... I will look into the titanium setup

life guarantee?  So they don't wear out?  When the chain goes can you just throw a new on the on the same old sprocket?
You would be surprised how long a set of sprockets will last if the chain is replaced as soon as it is worn. Most wait until the chain is already causing damage to the sprockets.

The ti-moly is almost as light as aluminum and is harder than steel. I'm not as hard on sprockets as the Professor, but I get close
smile.gif
I got a good deal on the sprocket as well.

well compared to $70 for most of the aftermarket sprockets, the $129 is not to bad... compared to the $30 for stock it is a bit steep, will have to think about this one overnight.. The tri metal sure look sweet....bling
smile.gif

Steel sprockets and ZZZ chain now.

I got 26K out of my stock chain and sprockets with " Extreme" care this time.( Having a center stand makes it real easy to do)

That includes cleaning the grease balls up behind the front sprocket cover.

The ZZZ hasabout 14 K on it and still rolls like butter for me,with no significant stretch to speak of.

well I am sure you could do a few sales if you had a good chain sprocket kit combo. (for us stockers)

Not all 530 chains are the same. Even if you just putt around, you need to watch those cheap chains. f they break your gonna wish you bought the good stuff.

Also, the ZVX2 chain is not a step down from the ZZZ. It's just as good or better. IMO the ZVX2 is a tougher chain with it's thicker sideplates.

Not all 530 chains are the same. Even if you just putt around, you need to watch those cheap chains. f they break your gonna wish you bought the good stuff.

Also, the ZVX2 chain is not a step down from the ZZZ. It's just as good or better. IMO the ZVX2 is a tougher chain with it's thicker sideplates.
I may have been wrong to say it was a step down. I actually think the ZZZ and the ZVX2 are pretty close to being he same chain. The only difference I saw in the ZVX2 I looked at was the Sideplate had been lightened. With a hole in the middle and a slight change in the outer dimensions. Last fall I used a ZZZ masterlink to replace one on a ZVX2. The dimensions were exactly the same on the master link. I'll measure the thickness of a sideplate tonight on a ZZZ so we can compare.

I know EK is showing a higher tensile strength on the ZZZ

I have 8000 miles on the stock chain with aluminum 43t rear. Every 400 miles I soak it well with spray wd-40 and thouroughly wipe it down to look like new...after that saturate it with clear Bel Rey O ring lube. The point of this long discription is...there is no measurable wear at this time....it looks like I put the chain on yesterday. I think the 400 mile self servicing is what works so well, BTW. that includes cleaning the rear sprocket teeth as well. The wd 40 simply breaks down the previous lube and build up...works really well! Raydog

Back