Chains and Sprockets

I have 8000 miles on the stock chain with aluminum 43t rear. Every 400 miles I soak it well with spray wd-40 and thouroughly wipe it down to look like new...after that saturate it with clear Bel Rey O ring lube.  The point of this long discription is...there is no measurable wear at this time....it looks like I put the chain on yesterday. I think the 400 mile self servicing is what works so well, BTW. that includes cleaning the rear sprocket teeth as well. The wd 40 simply breaks down the previous lube and build up...works really well!    Raydog
I do the same thing raydog.

I have 8000 miles on the stock chain with aluminum 43t rear. Every 400 miles I soak it well with spray wd-40 and thouroughly wipe it down to look like new...after that saturate it with clear Bel Rey O ring lube. The point of this long discription is...there is no measurable wear at this time....it looks like I put the chain on yesterday. I think the 400 mile self servicing is what works so well, BTW. that includes cleaning the rear sprocket teeth as well. The wd 40 simply breaks down the previous lube and build up...works really well! Raydog
every 400M? eeeouch....

April 2 1M on bike...
Today: 13225 mile or roughly a chain cleaning and lube about every 4 days... just not very practical and if one is to believe all one reads, we are only cleaning and lubing the outside of the chain (o-rings seal internals)

This chain most certainly failed internally and in only 6 months (you should have seen the rust on the rear rim from this thing and that is with liberal lubing every 10 days to 2 weeks)

Wonder if there is a possible warranty issue here....

It looks like the side plates are the same thickness on the ZZZ and the ZVX2. Here are the specs

ek2.gif

well what seems to be more telling is the "wear" index (now if that really means anything at all) pretty large jump

maybe this can get more confusing.....

beerchug.gif

I got the sidewinder "XP" Extreme Performance Chain when I got the sprocket. I got a great deal because its technically used. It was put on a bike and taken back off with 0 miles because the guy decided he wanted to stretch it.

Yo Bogus,

I'm a chain maintenance FIEND, or FEIND, well....I'm pretty compulsive about taking care of my HP distributing goodies. I got, with good chain service, about 16,000 before I swapped to an EK ZZZ. I haven't changed the sprockets because I don't have excessive routing of the valleys on the rear (I still have lots of tooth), and no abnormal conditions on the coutershaft sprocket. They're perfect. The one thing about the stock chain was I kept adjusting slop out to keep it within specs, along with routine clean / lube. SO, the guys around here (professor included) recommended swapping to the EK. Some recommended the DID, but I went with the drag racer's choice. I haven't regretted it once. I have about 7,000 on the current ZZZ, no issues, all rollers still sluggishly smooth, loaded with grease, and I've adjusted it, what ?, three times to keep it around the 1" range recommended ?. "Sweet". I regularly clean with the Motorex 611, and lube with Motorex 622 heavy-duty lube or chain wax. I know Gofaster is pretty sold on the kerosene maintenance, and he keeps his intervals as well, but he's getting ready for a change at 17,000 ?, I believe. Me thinky John's going with an EK as well.

There's my recommendation.
super.gif
Love mine, AIN'T changin'.......

Thanks Spudley,

Yes the keeping the chain adjusted on the factory unit is a never ending issue. I had one stretch where it went almost 3000 miles without going slack but on either side of that, it was every 500 or so miles... just plain crappy...

I got the ZZZ coming (the wear index sold me, I hate replacing stuff any more often than needed).. Looking at the sprocket, it looks as though there is virtually no wear (I did keep this thing lubed up pretty well)

I have seen where kerosene is the preferred method for cleaning, but I have always just used WD40 on a rag and wiped it down well.

Thanks all for the input.. most valued help this is
beerchug.gif

I think it's Charles at streetntrack who got me mine, $156TYD....it's Charles right
rock.gif
?, Oh man, I hate forgetting names...anyone
rock.gif
....anybody
rock.gif
..."anyway"....if you keep it clean and greased I don't see you changing it out for at least 20k.....I know that's a lot for some folks, but why shouldn't it
rock.gif
?......

Let me reiterate, I bang on my baby almost as bad as some around here. I just continually evaluate the condition and tune of all my sub-systems, i.e. throttles and air flow, drivetrain, lubricants and fluids, brakes and tires, etc.....

Just trying to keep her tight so I can eventually pass up Owen and his 100k+ Hayabusa.....you're gonna LOVE the ZZZ.....
super.gif

rock.gif

rock.gif

rock.gif

Back