chain and sprocket sets??

swimmer7946

Registered
I'm getting ready to change my chain and was wondering if i could skip the sprockets till next time....plus what kind of mileage can i expect outta my old chain..i've got 12.5k showing and i've never raced..lots of commuting. still looks like i have some adjustment left. thanks

Best case is to replace them as a set.

That said. It is possible to swap one or another with very good results. I have. Most make the mistake of letting them go way too far and one damages the other. I do however watch the wear on mine much closer than other. A sprocket will have VERY little wear until the chain wears to the point it starts riding on the drive edge of the tooth instead of the bottom. Most allow the chain to wear to the point there is excessive wear (some call it stretch) on the sprockets requiring both to be changed. I've seen stockers last to 20k but once they start wearing, they go fast. It is going to depend on riding style and maintenance. Keep a close watch on the pin to pin link it is not really about how much adjustment you have. There are much better chains out there than the OEM unit.

Back