Riding in the rain

I have to agree with BBB. If there's even a slight chance of rain here in IL, I drive the cage. I have ridden in the rain before, but it's not my favorite time. I am probably more paranoid than I need to be, but oh well, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

A lot of decent advice, but really the one thing to remember is to simply BE SMOOTH...

A good deal of the GO SLOW, easy or no brakes, pull over and wait it out, advice is just fine but not allways appropriate. Really it's very important for all of us to get out there and ride in the wet intentionally. It's important that you know HOW to ride in the wet. It's also pretty damn important that you do NOT Slow down too much. You still want to be moving through traffic or your just a sitting duck that is now even more invisible than normal, don't slow WAY down only to get fuggin rear ended. Bikes ride on pretty small contact patches and are pretty hard pressed to hydroplane.

Once you get over any initial nerves, riding in the rain is really pretty easy and it really forces you to think about and focus on your inputs and what the bike is doing. It's good stuff.

I think you will be amazed at just how MUCH traction is available and how capable modern tires are of maintaining serious grip on the road.

Now if your talking one of them Florida Down pours where you cannot even see where the hell your at? Yeah you need to get the heck off the road, cause hell if you cannot see, you cannot see. But if you do get off the road GET OFF THE ROAD. At least you anyway, leave your bike and get away if there isn't anyway to get further off the road than the shoulder. You don't wanna get mowed by one of them shoulder driving, Hazard Flashin, Florida Retiree's!!!

I rode back from Chicago 200miles in the rain last year on the ZRX..Good tires is a must and some decent rain gear..I say take the 2 lane roads and stay away from the semis in the rain..It seems Semis will always speed in the rain,because troopers do not like to get out in the weather to write tickets..

I live in California..

We dont ride in the rain here..  
wow.gif
We don't HAVE rain here!

;)

--Wag--

agree with all of the above - here in ireland it rains all the time,the only difference is in summer the rain is warmer. we dont have freckles we have rust spots !! most important points are to avoid metal gratings especially on corners.always brake early to dry your pads and avoid lock ups.rain in the morning can be lethal especially at junctions as trucks and buses fill their fuel tanks to the top and as they corner it spills out. try to relax and EASY on the gas-in corners lean off the bike like the racers do keeping the bike more upright and more contact rubber on the road . looking forward to our summer (its usually two days in august) yee haa -safe riding

I used to live in England (where it rains every day - or at least it seems like it does) when the only transport I had was my motorcycle (Moped, XS250, XS1100 and a 900 Ninja.) I rode for 10 years over there in rain, snow, sleet, hail, and sometimes even sunshine!

The most important things I learnt were.

Before you ride, check the local weather forecast. I live in Colorado now and the weather can change in an instant from sun to snow. Save yourself the aggravation of getting stuck somewhere if you can.

Otherwise, if you are caught out by the rain:

1) Keep it Smooth and don't ride as fast/lean as far as you do in the dry. Don't make sudden power adjustments, rapid line changes, or sudden and hard application of the brakes. Where possible use your gearbox to slow the bike down rather than the brakes. Changing down and slipping/finessing the clutch and throttle is usually smoother than grabbing a hand/foot-full of brake. Gently apply the front brake occasionally to keep it dry, especially if you just went through a puddle.

2) Increase the distance between yourself and other vehicles so you have more time to slow down/change direction etc. without risking skids or wheel spins. Try to think further ahead, assume all other drivers/riders don't know what they're doing - you will not be disappointed.

3) Wear waterproof riding gear, it affects your concentration/riding ability if you are wet and/or cold. You can get lightweight rain suits that fold up and fit under the seat/hump and fit over your leathers/armor. You can also get thin covers for your boots and gloves.

4) Apply some kind of anti-fog solution to your visor so that it doesn't mist up. If it does mist up, be prepared to ride with your visor up at a slower speed to ensure you have good visibility. Consider carrying a pair of goggles or plain-lens spectacles/sunglasses to protect your eyes if you have to have your visor open. Clear UV-filtering glasses are good for a full-face helmet. Also consider a higher windscreen.

5) Wear reflective and brighter clothing to increase your visibility. Rain usually means lower light levels, drivers views partially obscured etc.

6) Spray your electrical system with waterproofing solution (WD40 works if you don't have anything else.) This helps to prevent shorts that can strand you - or worse, engine misfires that will cause erratic handling/performance. (One of my stock XS1100 spark plug leads used to short out and arc to my knee when I rode in the rain! I replaced the leads with aftermarket silicone versions.) This is much less of an issue with a faired bike, but water can still find its way in to suprising places...

7) Carry spare bulbs for your headlight and brake/rear light/indicators. It's all about visibility. Make sure your lights are working before you ride.

8) Make sure you have plenty of tread on your tires. Bald tires are like riding on ice in the rain.

9) If the rain is heavy find somewhere dry to pull over and wait for conditions to improve. A gas station or a restaurant where you can get a warm drink and dry out your kit is ideal. Otherwise hide out under a bridge etc. Don't park under trees if there is a thunderstorm with lightning.

10) Be very careful riding through puddles, sometimes there's a pothole under there....

11) Watch out for debris washed onto the road by flood water etc. Gravel and sand can be like ball bearings. Stay off the white lines/road markings. Look for the rainbow telltale of oil on the road.

12) Take your time and arrive safe.

I live in California..

We dont ride in the rain here..  
wow.gif
You must not be riding to much right now, ehh Thrasher ? Anyway I live in Wa. And it used to rain alot here until we shipped all the rain down to Cali. , Remember to watch the painted lines on the road , metal grates, and if it hasn't rained in a long time there will be oil build up at major intersections . I've been caught in downpours and I didn't have any difficulty . Watch the cagers!

All of those suggestions seem to be great, but im still paranoid making turns. I feel like the bike is gonna go out from under me. I guess i just need to trust the bike a little more.

I ride in the rain often (until my engine just blew).  If you're accelerating, don't hit any yellow lines...you'll spin almost every time.  That also goes for shifting on oil slicks when going through intersections.  If you're waiting to turn and you're a few cars back...when you pass the front of the lane, you'll slip if you shift from first to second on a slick if your rpm's are high enough.  Rain-x works great on the visor, but if it's bad then get up to speed and turn your helmet once to the left, hold it for a few seconds, and then to the right for the same.  The wind will clear your visor of any rain that's accumulated.

When cornering (especially off or on ramps) reduce your speed even if the jack behind you is impatient.  You can lean pretty good, but I don't take the chance.  As Rev said, be smooth.  That's the key. The 'busa is one torquey beast. When cornering, you can also stay one gear higher than usual to reduce the chance of giving it too much gas.

<!--EDIT|slammiam
Reason for Edit: None given...|1110907717 -->

I have probably logged thousands of miles in the rain - especially on the cross country trips.  Here is advice:

If it is a short trip (cross town, less than an hour of riding) then just lump it.  Keep your visor cracked but not open so that you don't get fogged up.  

The most dangerous time in a storm is the first 30 minutes when the rain is still washing oil off the roads, the drivers aren't 'used to' the weather change, yada yada yada.  That, and misting - a light constant mist is just horrible.  If you are stuck in 3 hours of rain from Tallahassee to New Orleans once you get past the first 30 minutes the next 2 1/2 hours are only miserable
wink.gif

<div align="center"><span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>Wet pavement requires smooth movements, no jerky acceleration, no jerky deceleration, no hard lane changes, etc.</span></span>[/Quote]

If you are feeling froggy, wet weather and lonely roads are a great place to learn the traction limits of your tires . . but also be prepared to learn the impact strength of your bones at the same time
devil.gif

Kevin is correct, proper turn entry speed is achieved PRIOR to entering a turn, not once you are in the turn.  <span style='color:red'>Once you are in the turn braking almost always makes a bad situation worse</span>whether it is rain, sand, bumps in the road, alien spacecraft landing, etc. Even rolling off the throttle shifts weight from the rear of the bike to the front of the bike and will cause a lowside.

For cornering in the wet you must first be comfortable cornering in the dry.  If you'd like to take a ride and experiment with the maximum traction and lean angle of your bike then allow Diesel and I to extend to you an open invitation
face7.gif

Seriously, learn counter steering, turn entry points, turn exit points, throttle control, etc.  Don't assume you know those things, LOTS of very good riders do it on instinct without knowing what they are actually doing.  Once you have dry turning solid in your head then wet turning is exactly the same, except with tighter tolerances.  My suggestion is to go learn tight turns somewhere that if you wreck it will only be at about 30mph (there are places that can be found where a 30mph turn is at the very least challenging).  Wear good gear and bring your cellphone  
wink.gif

<div align="center"><span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>In the rain it is important to remember all of your thresholds just went down and your distances went up.  Traction is down, stopping (distance)is up, lean angle is down, acceleration (distance) is up.</span></span>[/Quote]

Now, here is a suggestion - go get yourself a set of 'frog togs' at least the jacket part.  They are breatheable, lightweight, rollup real nicely and are practically disposable.  Get caught in the rain and at the very least you can throw them on under an overpass and stay dry enough to not be miserable.  

In the south, the rain doesn't always mean cooling off, so the frog togs are nice.  In the north, rain and cold often come hand in hand and it is important to remember that whatever the ambient temperature is you need to subtract 30 degrees farenheit to compensate for wind chill on the bike.  Either way bring a standard  rain jacket that has elastic at the wrists to keep the wet out. Don't go for the hunters supply rain jacket thinking it is just as good, it isn't.  Get yourself something designed for motorcycling.  First Gear has good stuff.

Another sidebar is that a rain jacket makes a GREAT windbreaker and you can ride with your armored jacket underneath your rain jacket and stay pretty darned toasty.

Coldest winter ride to date = 18 degrees Farenheit in the sleet from El Paso Tx to Austin over Christmas.  Literally had icicles on the side and back of my helmet.  

Worst rain = coming back from Deals Gap on I-75 just south of Atlanta, rain was so hard that the freeway was flooded and I had water up to my pegs.

I am sure I'll have more stories after PFC Poole (brother) returns from overseas and we have the "<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:seagreen'>Back from Iraq - Tampa to Seattle</span></span>" ride - will keep you posted.

wink.gif

All of those suggestions seem to be great, but im still paranoid making turns.  I feel like the bike is gonna go out from under me.  I guess i just need to trust the bike a little more.
Go somewhere where you can practice on a wet surface that doesn't have any traffic (car par, airstrip etc.) Try straight line stuff then graduate to making slow turns etc.

You have to overcome the fear of sliding. Generally in the wet you aren't going to be cranking the bike over as much, in fact most of the time you're trying to keep the bike upright to maximize traction, brake in straight lines etc.

Give yourself plenty of room and take it slow and smooth.

All of those suggestions seem to be great, but im still paranoid making turns.  I feel like the bike is gonna go out from under me.  I guess i just need to trust the bike a little more.
You definitely need to trust the bike first before anything else happens, IMO.

The way I got more comfortable when I first was riding was when it rained, I rode out to a large, empty parking lot in the rain and rode around, getting a feel where I was comfortable with it. And gradually made more and slightly deeper turns until I found the point where I felt I hit a wall. It sounds goony, but it helps, or did in my case.

But all the advice in the world isn;t going to help if you're not trusting the bike, because that can make you do stupid things in a panic mode.

Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Jeep, Chrysler, GMC, Toyota... Hell, even Kia... all make excellent rain gear. They're called CARS & TRUCKS.
biggrin.gif
My current rain gear is a 1995 Nissan Maxima. That just happens to be my winter gear as well... Warm & dry...
wink.gif

Fug ridin' in the rain. I've done it three times in my whole life and I hope I never have to do it again.
drooling3.gif

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1110918395 -->

Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Jeep, Chrysler, GMC, Toyota... Hell, even Kia...  all make excellent rain gear. They're called CARS & TRUCKS.
biggrin.gif
My current rain gear is a 1995 Nissan Maxima. That just happens to be my winter gear as well... Warm & dry...
wink.gif

Fug ridin' in the rain. I've done it three times in my whole life and I hope I never have to do it again.
drooling3.gif
Well here in Fl there is a chance of rain everyday, no matter what the weather guy says and it can come without warning. I guess you have to live in Fl to understand!

If you lived here in Oklahoma, I would say go as fast as possible. Usually when it rains here there is always 60 mph+ winds or a tornado coming.

Lots of excellent advice so I won't duplicate, but I would like to add one thing that I don't think was mentioned. The busa is a powerful machine and can be tricky in the less than ideal traction situations. I tend to ride one gear up in these situations. In otherwords if a particular dry situation would dictate 2nd I will use 3rd or higher. The busa's torque allows you to do this and should your hand accidentally gets a little heavy on the throttle it's easier to stay in control.

25+ yrs ridin. Had no choice but to ride thru the rain thousands of times.
Got caught in freak hail storms aswell. Fog is real nasty 2.

dont know if its bin mentioned butt :

1. painted lines,arrows etc...try to avoid if possible

2. ride cautiously...but not paranoid... stay calm

3. the average street tire today,works great in the rain,it has to or it wouldn't be DOT approved...so... be cool. if you've come into a corner a bit too hot, an' now yer worried the wet surface wont hold you....be cool... no brakes... if yer too fast NOTHIN will save yer azz... but good skins will make the corner.. just be cool.

4. Brakes. little or NO rear brake. What for, it'll just make you skid/slide.

5. Gloves. got wet slippery gloves on...be carefull. Clutch is wet,brake is wet,gloves are wet... take em off if ya have to.
6. Wipe yer shield often. If you wear glasses[sun,prescription] under yer visor, make sure you dont lift yer shield to much and allow water to get on yer eyeware,
or you'll be lookin thru twice the bubbles. I have put a soft cleaning cloth ontop of the speedo, or in a pocket(for use at red lights an' stop signs, or while moving IF yer comfortable doing it...to wipe the shield).

7. choke/throttle advance... tweak it up to about 1400,1500 or so.... then when yer approaching "slow down situations" an' yer not exactly smooth with the clutch , yer rear tire wont skid as much.

8. check yer bike out now. While its sittin' in the garage.
are my tires good?
are my lights brite enuff?
etc...

9. spend 15 bucks on a brighter headlite. Stock configuration for most north american imports is about 40 to 55 watt low beam, an' a 60 watt hi-beam.

Rubbah pulled out the 60 watt hi an' thru in a 100 watt.
a pinch illegal...but its not coloured,wont attract Smokies attention, its cheap, an' helps BIGTIME.

10. Head for home... or a friends/relatives dont try an' ride 500 miles in the shid... pull over if ya can.

common sense....be cool.... "Arrive Alive"

hav a dry 1....especially if its a Martini... RSD.

Back