Ridin in the rain

WuzzaCBXRider

Donating Member
Registered
My daughter told me she was jonesin for a ride this weekend and as we were going to the A's game on Sunday we only had Saturday to ride...despite the forecast. Now, as late as the morning before we left around 8ish, the best forecast from the US weather bureau said it might rain in the morning but by midday/afternoon it would not only stop, but would be clear to at least partly cloudy for the rest of the day.

Our plan was to brave whatever moisture might befall us in the a.m. (good gear) and ride down to Hollister and 25 to 198 to 101. I figured that by the time we got to Paso Robles at 46, on our way to Cambria and hiway 1 for a ride back up the coast past Lucia, Big Sur etc, we would have a nice (dry) ride up the coast. I knew there would be a strong headwind but no rain, according to the forecast.

Well, for the morning ride all the way down 25 to P Robles and west on 46, it was a great day, good weather, some wet roads but nothing bad at all, and no rain, at all! Almost no traffic of any kind and a nice peaceful tour down 25, 198 to 101 to 46...then BAM, fog and rain and I mean RAIN. Made it to Cambria for lunch and an hour's wait and no real change in the weather. So instead of trying to ride 1 north, I decided it would be better to just head back to 101 and highball it home. Rained most of the way back and all in all it was over a 400 mile ride with about 200 in the wet.

The PPs worked very well in the wet, as did the brakes and handling, and the Busa, two up, preformed great! I did have to hide the V1 in the tankbag and place the cover over it and also learned that all my gear was waterproof, except my TM Fusion jacket. My torso didn't get wet but the contents of my pockets got wet. So its almost a waterproof jacket...

Was actually a good 'adventure' for me and my 25 yr old daughter. Rain and fog and wind and still 85-95 mph up 101 from P Robles to San Ho. Did I mention the bike handled very very well?
laugh.gif

oh man i bet you got hit good with that wet stuff     we were going to try for saturday to bodega but went sunday    it rained way more saturday than what the forcast called for          lotta wind today

(Gunnybusa @ Apr. 15 2007,18:46) what tires are you running?
"The PPs worked very well in the wet, as did the brakes and handling, and the Busa, two up, preformed great!"

Michelin Pilot Powers Gunny.

even in the rain you can have fun. just take the turns easy and stay off the painted surfaces. I'll ride in just about anything except for lightning. that has me like this
SHOCKED.gif
lol

Most of our sports tires supposed to handle good in wet road condition...but, in general, more threaded tires are plus...and painted stripes in the corners? its like you just stepped on bouncing betty...
crazy.gif

Very cool, I bet your daughter learned to tuck in if she hadn't already.

Riding in the rain sucks no matter how prepared you are for it. Last week on my trip to Atlanta from Houston it rained almost the ENTIRE trip there. I kept looking at the Radar Weather report on my cell phone to see it was holding the carrot in front of my horse. If I were in Baton ROuge the front was in Gulfport, Mississippi. It was just brutal and cold.

The Hayabusa handled very well in the wet stuff. Even when it was pouring down beating my helmet I kept going. The 18-wheelers are what make it really scary as the wind is buffeting your bike when you pass them and the tires are just squirting water at you... its a hard call to throttle it and get by them.

I ended up disconnecting my PCIIIusb to detune my bike's sensitive throttle and the TRE. That made riding a little easier. Dropping the air pressure in the tires to 29 pounds also gave me more rubber on the road and helped the Metzler M3's pump the water through their tread design.

Most of you know I was still bitching about mileage but after yesterday's trip of 27 mpg blasting... I will accept the 34-35 in the rain and 37-40 cruising dry.

Back