Rain riding..

Lately if I can make it to work dry then I do not care about getting wet on the way home. You got to stay on your chain though. Every weekend I take at least the couple minutes to do the chain, and if I have the time I get the bike all gussed up again for the next week.

BMW Motorrad makes one of the best rain suits available.

I have one I bought for an extended trip, though I never had to use it (still has the tags on it).

There are numerous reports available on which suits rule. I'd Google it.

As far as changing commuting habits...not necessary here in the land of 'the weather seldom changes'.

Scooters & Vespas are becoming increasingly popular, and vehicular traffic on the freeways is decreasing. The gridlock is less severe than even three months ago (according to the news).
beerchug.gif

Hmm... seems like I may have done a boo boo on the chain then.  
argue.gif

My last bike had a driveshaft.. so I never gave any thought to the driveline. I would imagine the chain is prbly shot eh? What's the easiest way to examine the teeth on the transmission side of things?
It is not a "Bo Bo". I have long life chains. I clean the chain after every ride. Clean not clean and oil. It is best to get the grit off the chain for longer life. It only takes 2 minutes and a spin or to to keep it clean. I do not like to put a lot on the chain after cleaning it.

Aerostich. Google it. Read about it on line at ADVRider.com, Sport-touring.net or any place that Beemer rides gather. I ride in my Stich 24/7 from the 20's to the upper 90's. I also believe in this mantra: "there is not bad riding weather, just bad riding gear."

I use the cage on those days when I cant strap everything I need on my bike/tank bag and backpack. I have commuter clothes for underneath the Stich (I can ride in my underwear if I wanted). MOst importantly, I get dressed at work. Im military so I keep my cammies boots and everthing I need to dress in my office. Imagine Mr Rogers getting dressed at start and end of each episode.

Getting dressed at work eliminates most of the issues one would have about being wet all day. In theory I can ride with out the stich, get to work soaking wet and get dressed in my office.

Im a gear freek and rarely go with out full armor. If I could only have one peice of equipment (excluding helmet) It would be the stich. Factor in the price of the Stich to see if it works with your gas money saving posture. It aint cheap. I got mine half off on ebay.

Good luck!

DSC01001.jpg

Frog Toggs are the best and cheapest rain gear out there and they pack small when its not raining. BTW, you've missed about a dozen chain lubing opportunities in over 6,000 miles! SHAME on you!
corner2.png
It should be cleaned when its dirty and lubed every 4-500 miles (warm).

You should be doing this as a matter of routine every 400 to 600 miles!
Are you on crack? That sounds insanely obsessive. I would be doing my chain every weekend?
That 2007 looks like you bought it brand new. Might try giving that owner's manual the once over.
poke.gif

Mant. schedule is in there pretty plain.

If you're not a silly rider and maintain that chain with kerosene and good grease like PJ1 or something similar it will last you 18k. Also, since you haven't lubed it I will bet you haven't adjusted in either. Might have a look at that.

I definately have changed, riding my bike everywhere these days. Just got back from Toronto, rode as driving would have been way more expensive. Did get rained on, but I have Dainese? gear and that worked great. Funny part of this is I used be a Harley guy, gear was a t-shirt, jeans, maybe a jacket and helmet. But with the switch came new gear that is flat out comfortable and may save my butt. Realized with the right gear, full face helmet, riding in the rain means there is just less traction, not no traction. Oh yeah and not getten pelted in the face by rain drops helps too.

smile.gif

Are you on crack? That sounds insanely obsessive. I would be doing my chain every weekend?
That 2007 looks like you bought it brand new. Might try giving that owner's manual the once over.
poke.gif

Mant. schedule is in there pretty plain.

If you're not a silly rider and maintain that chain with kerosene and good grease like PJ1 or something similar it will last you 18k. Also, since you haven't lubed it I will bet you haven't adjusted in either. Might have a look at that.
Ya, bought it new. It came with an owners manual? lol.

I just had a rear tire installed about 1k ago.. they had to pull the wheel off for that. So I would imagine the chain tension is fine. I'm going to order a new chain, and 18/43 sprockets. I don't want to risk this chain breaking. From there out I will do the 500mile chain maint. Maybe should look at getting a rear stand now.
banghead.gif

I read somewhere that kerosene isnt good for chains with o-rings,dry's them out? I spray WD40 on and use a toothbrush to get it in there and scrub and wipe clean with a rag..thats all
That's strange, I've always read, heard, and experienced exactly the opposite. WD40, being a penetrating lubricant designed to break loose rusty bolts and dry moisture from distributor caps will deteriorate the o-rings and wash the factory lubricant out of the chain rollers. WD40 might work on a motocross (non o-ring) chain that you soak lube inside and out but is probably one of the worst things you could use to clean a sealed chain.
Kerosene has always been the recomended chain cleaner of choice in every owners manual I've had right up to my Busa manual that states Kerosene should be the ONLY thing used to clean the chain.
+1

5 gallon drum in the garage.

Any special bike maint. tips for me because of all the wet riding? I have yet to lube my chain..  have about 6200 miles on it. Hmm.. prbly should.  
guns.gif
I have a can of Suzuki chain lube.
Clean your chain with kerosene, dry it and then relube! You should be doing this as a matter of routine every 400 to 600 miles! I'd be surprized if you haven't already caused premature wear to your spockets and chain.
I read somewhere that kerosene isnt good for chains with o-rings,dry's them out? I spray WD40 on and use a toothbrush to get it in there and scrub and wipe clean with a rag..thats all
Just the opposite is true sir! WD-40 will eventually dry out those O-rings!! Do as the Owner's Manual says..............kerosene only!

Pay me now or pay me later..........as the old saying goes!! I have yet to replace a chain or sprocket on any of the 12 motorcycles I have owned dating back to 1978. Hmmmmm.............but then again I cheat a little bit, usually buy 'new' every 2 years anyway.
laugh.gif

I ride everywhere these days also. I love it anyway but the price of gas is just another reason. Got caught in a TStorm Wednesday night on our way to Hooters. We rode got wet and rode through it. Bike handles well in the rain so long as you aren't stupid. I also stay much drier in the tuck on the new Busa than I used to on my 750 Gixxer.

Any special bike maint. tips for me because of all the wet riding? I have yet to lube my chain..  have about 6200 miles on it. Hmm.. prbly should.  
guns.gif
I have a can of Suzuki chain lube.
Clean your chain with kerosene, dry it and then relube! You should be doing this as a matter of routine every 400 to 600 miles! I'd be surprized if you haven't already caused premature wear to your spockets and chain.
+1

I ride daily, rain or shine, hot or cold...been that way for 2 years.

I get rained on, I try to clean (kerosene) and relube regardless of how many miles it's been. Unless I'm looking at multiple consecutive rain days...then I wait till they're over.

Take religous care of your chain man, do a search on chains and read the horror stories of one that's broken...major damage, cracked cases, etc.

Call me a baby or what ever but I won't ride in the rain. I'm too particular about keeping the bike clean and riding in the rain just makes too much of a mess. Go ahead, flame on.

Call me a baby or what ever but I won't ride in the rain. I'm too particular about keeping the bike clean and riding in the rain just makes too much of a mess. Go ahead, flame on.
You gurly man
smileyexhibit.gif

Seriously though, I am anal about my bike being clean but it's my daily/only ride.
If I had a cage or a beater, I'd leave my baby home in the shelter.

What really pisses me off is when I'm on my way home and it just drissles enough to get my bike dirty but not enough to actually help (water the grass) anything...specially if I'm just 10-15 minutes out from home.
boohoo.gif

"I just had a rear tire installed about 1k ago.. they had to pull the wheel off for that. So I would imagine the chain tension is fine."

Don't imagine it's just fine! After my 600 mile service at my idiot dealership, I found my chain tension way too tight, and the axle out of alignment.
Hmmmm, do ya ever check your air pressure?

I have ridden to work rain or shine for the last 16 years. Ensure you have good tires and slow way down as cars are deffinately not looking for a bike in the rain. Stay safe

As soon as I can afford tires I will ride again. Because of fuel prices I have ridden the tires to the point of no return. Now I am in the Dodge again until more $$$ comes my way for tires.

Back