Installed new air filter was..... skeptical

Aftermarket air filters are despised and ridiculed by most and yet lots of guys have them.
Just like McDonalds.
No-one likes their food, but everyone eats there. :whistle:

i put a kn filter on my bike and really dont notice the difference until around 5000 when the turbo spools up:poke::laugh:

I use K&N in everything I drive. In my 08 Busa, I noticed a slight difference. I've heard on this forum that the OEM PAPER filter is supposed to flow better than a K&N. I don't see how that is even possible. Either way, my bike sure didn't get slower when I put the K&N in.

I use K&N in everything I drive. In my 08 Busa, I noticed a slight difference. I've heard on this forum that the OEM PAPER filter is supposed to flow better than a K&N. I don't see how that is even possible. Either way, my bike sure didn't get slower when I put the K&N in.
If that was true they would not have just invested millions and just released a RACE spec filter for the Hayabusa and ZX-14. If the current filter was so good why change. Just some food for thought. :thumbsup:

Depending how much you ride and maintain you bike, a cleanable air filter is a sound choice. Look at it this way, if you put alot of miles on your bike every year, say 10-20k, think of all the bugs and dust and dirt you suck into the Ram Air tubes, how much does a stock filter cost? $20-$30. A K&N that you never have to replace just clean is $40-$60, a ONE TIME INVESTMENT!! I am an ASE Master Tech, all of my cars and the Busa use K&N filters, air and oil, and even if there is no "Perfomance Gain" from them I have the peace of mind that it traps more dirt and contamination than any regular filter. I am also a firm believer in SYNTHETICS, after running Mobil 1 for years, I will be going to AMSOIL, I just became a dealer for them!!:thumbsup:

If that was true they would not have just invested millions and just released a RACE spec filter for the Hayabusa and ZX-14. If the current filter was so good why change. Just some food for thought. :thumbsup:

With all due respect, this is mis-leading.

It did not cost K&N millions to come out with those new filters as they are not a start-up company entering into a new venture. They have plenty of tooling available and equipment needed to make those filters, efficiently and at a low cost, as its very simple to change construction methods and technique from one outline (or type of filter) to the next on smaller items such as this. There is little R&D needed at this point for these applications also.

FWIW, in the diesel pickup truck world, their filters are shunned because the oil gets sucked out of them and then soaks the turbo. EGT's run higher also. The only people purchasing them are usually people that are new owners and have been exposed to their marketing, or its people not educated about that there are better choices for performance and lower EGT's. From what I have also seen, its largely similar to that in the modified/performance car arena also.

As a sidenote, I purchase their oil filters, as they have proven to be very good by independent and non-sponsored evaluators.

Last edited:
Back