Installed new air filter was..... skeptical

aussiesuzukirider

Never Forgotten
I was a bit sceptical of the claim that you could get extra ponnies from a new filter. I installed a K&N air filter on the weekend then took it for a test ride with the wife on the back, it didn't feel much different the sound was a little deeper but the power was much the same. Now as I rode home solo from work tonight I noticed a BIG difference in power and response so I was wondering if this is normal, does it take a little time for the filter to work correctly or is this just a coincidence ........loving the response I get from her when I hit the power now:thumbsup:

I've been hearing k&n is worst than the oem filter. but if you like it that's all that counts........it might take a couple of miles for the ecu to adjust for the air flow... good luck

It might have been the difference in air temperature. You say it was at night. Colder, denser air means more power.

It might have been the difference in air temperature. You say it was at night. Colder, denser air means more power.

Most likely. My bike gets noticeably more "juicy" when it's cold out.

--Wag--

The K&N will perform different, depending on how you oil it.
Some guys run no air filter at all and that gets you the best power but everything goes into the engine.
Some run just the K&N filter - no oil, and that at least keeps the big debris out, but the dust still goes in.
A very light oil will get a lot of the dust and still give some power gain.
Regular or heavy oiling will filter most of the dust and give minimal power gains.

I do the regular oiling - I like my motor and don't need too much power.
JMO

ive heard it does nothing to install an aftermarket filter w/o also using a pc3 or equivelant. ist there truth to this???

The K&N will perform different, depending on how you oil it.
Some guys run no air filter at all and that gets you the best power but everything goes into the engine.
Some run just the K&N filter - no oil, and that at least keeps the big debris out, but the dust still goes in.
A very light oil will get a lot of the dust and still give some power gain.
Regular or heavy oiling will filter most of the dust and give minimal power gains.

I do the regular oiling - I like my motor and don't need too much power.
JMO

I didn't oil it might do the over the weekend. There is a power difference now with a quicker response from low rev's in a high gear than there was before may be the filter just needed to open a little,:thumbsup:

really???? how does the ecu do this?

the ecu can't do this alone because there is no a/f sensors of any kind. And honestly, in order to get optimal performance anytime you modify the air intake, whether it be removing the filter or upgrading to a hi flo, you'll never get the full benefit it it's not mapped properly. guys run either bmc or k&n, either filter is superior to an oem filter as far as flow goes, but keep in mind, more flow does mean LESS filtering.

ive heard it does nothing to install an aftermarket filter w/o also using a pc3 or equivelant. ist there truth to this???

I believe it is part true. My bike made huge leaps on the dyno after stepping up to the BMC filter and adjusting the PC3. K&N's I have used in the past did nothing and if you get even a little too much oil on them you will bog it down and degrade performance.. Seriously though, after a number of dyno runs the tech suggested a BMC, we switched off the K&N and got another 6-7 horse.

That's what I was wondering~!~ The way the evenings are getting you'll notice a large difference~!~

I go with this myself... air filter will make little difference on a bike unless 1. the original was terrible (and the OEM is not) 2. The OEM was filthy (then a new one would work fine) 3. The bike is tuned for the filter.. (for what maybe 1-2 HP?)

Aftermarket filters are typically a waste of money on a stock bike unless you just want the hassle of a "clean it yourself" filter.

Mentally, you just blew $50+ bucks on a filter, of course it runs better :laugh:

with that said, I have a PiperCross street filter and notice bunk on the HP front (I can not feel 1-4 HP myself).. But I like the sticker they gave me

I clean my K&N every year.
I like the thought that at the first of the year I am starting with a new filter.
That would be price prohibitive if I was using OEM filters.
I can’t feel the small difference in HP either, but my peace of mind is taken care of.
My problem with an OEM filter and has been since day one, is “when is it dirty enough to change?”
½ dirty? or ¾ dirty?, when is it dirty enough to affect performance, and mileage?

I also change my oil filter at every oil change, even though the manual says every third oil change. JMO

Back