K&N air filter

NightCrawler

Love all. Trust a few. Do wrong to none.
Donating Member
Registered
Has anyone here gone from a stock air filter to a K&N air filter and noticed a significant difference? Again, I was looking at the -parts and acc.- banner here and ran across it. The thought of getting one crossed my mind, but I won't bother with it unless I actually notice an improvement.

You can hear a bit of a difference,but I think the power advantage is absent!
wink.gif

Nay. Stock paper filter actually flows better. The only advantage to the K&N is that it can be cleaned and re-used.

BMC race filter is the only one that I have ever seen that made a negligable difference on HP...and that was only 1 or 2...was nothing to get excited about.

I have heard, however, that a layer of unifoam with the box gutted, has netted some more hp, however never seen a dyno pull posted with it.

Each company CLAIMS (the operative word...) bigger gains between the two, but there are no hard numbers that has ever proved that. I use the K&N filter myself. I also use them on my Suburban and pick-up. The only real noticeable difference I've seen was better gas mileage. There is also another filter out there just simply called the "Green Filter" (because of its color). They claim much better performance gains over the K&N or the BMC. My word is BOND, and I'm stickin' with it...
wink.gif

do some research... it flows better because it doesn't filter as well as a paper filter.

more dirt in your engine for a whopping 3 HP.. (claimed? I've never seen any real dyno numbers) not for me..

Some say for the best performance gain, no air filter at all.
You want to save money from buying stock air filters every 11k, than go with a K&N or BMC.
Just some thoughts...

yepp...I heard of NOT running an air filter. Johnny Cheese runs the Texas Mile with no filter...and I think he runs no filter on the street.

my advice/opinion....

buy one.

Use it. Who cares about HP.

Stock filter gets dirty an' needs to be tossed.  cost = 50 bucks.

K&N filter gets dirty....after about 4 or 5 times the amount of miles that the stock one delivers...   clean it, use it again.

Lets say you live in Pacemasters climate...or Doc's climate...
  dusty dirty desert conditions. A stocker will clog up real qwik, so will a K&N,but one has an advantage over the other.

If yer pockets are deep...buy a new stocker every 6 months...
 If they are not so deep....get a K&N or similar.

Spend 75 bucks on a filter [once].
 Spend 50 bucks on a filter [5,10,15,times]

If yer into super Hi-PO.... you wouldn't be askin' this question...

hav a well filter'd 1...RSD.

<!--EDIT|rubbersidedown
Reason for Edit: "'I swear alot,so,I edited myself...ok...fu"|1121779901 -->

K&N filters scare me, you have to keep them really oiled to trap the fine stuff and then they no longer flow as well, hold a HALFWAY DRY k&n up to the light and look at all of th pinholes. I'm keeping the paper filter in mine.

You want to save money from buying stock air filters every 11k, than go with a K&N or BMC.
Just some thoughts...
yepp...I heard of NOT running an air filter. Johnny Cheese runs the Texas Mile with no filter...and I think he runs no filter on the street.

Isn't that bad for the bike in the long run?
No, unless you live on a gravel road or it rains rocks in your neighborhood. Most of the stuff you suck up will be burned long before it can damage anything......Bugs, leaves, sticks, etc.

Just some thoughts...

Isn't that bad for the bike in the long run?
No, unless you live on a gravel road or it rains rocks in your neighborhood. Most of the stuff you suck up will be burned long before it can damage anything......Bugs, leaves, sticks, etc.
I didn't think of it like that.[/i] So how about the bike running a bit lean. Would that be an issue?

<table style=filter:glow(color=red)>I'm about 2 seconds away from removing mine...</table>^^That looks kinda cool!^^

Yeah, it'll lean the bike up some, I'm not a performance expert by any means, but I ran my bike without a filter for a couple of weeks, and I know a couple of guys who never run one. Some people say it's bad for your bike and I'm not saying that I know more than them, I just know what i've done/seen done.
BTW, it sounds cool..........

<!--EDIT|Mr Brown
Reason for Edit: None given...|1121916352 -->

Back