If they dont want the beef

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
Thousands protest in Seoul against U.S. beef
Estimated 80,000 people protest S.Korean plan to resume U.S. beef imports

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) -- South Korea's entire Cabinet offered to resign Tuesday to dampen public uproar over the planned resumption of U.S. beef imports, as tens of thousands of protesters gathered in the largest demonstration yet against the policy.

Tens of thousands hold up candles during Tuesday's protest against resuming beef imports.

1 of 2 President Lee Myung-bak's office did not say whether he would accept the resignations, an attempt to defuse the beef crisis that has paralyzed his government less than four months after the former Hyundai CEO took office following a landslide election victory.

The government agreed in April to lift almost all restrictions that had been imposed on imports of U.S. beef over fears of mad cow disease. The decision sparked weeks of protests demanding the government scrap or renegotiate the beef deal amid perceptions it did not do enough to protect citizens.

In the largest protest so far, some 80,000 demonstrators waving candles gathered Tuesday evening in central Seoul, according to police, who blocked roads with shipping containers to prevent the crowd from marching to the nearby presidential Blue House.

Some 21,000 riot police were deployed to keep order, the Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency said.

"President Lee hasn't listened to the voices of his people. We still don't have a genuine democracy in our country," said Jang Dae-hyun, a spokesman for a civic group that has organized protests.

Rallies against the beef deal turned violent over the weekend and the government said it will take tougher steps against protesters if the violence continues.

Earlier, thousands of conservative activists supporting the deal protested near the site of the anti-U.S. beef rally.

"It's time to put out the candles," said Suh Jung-kap, a conservative activist. The protesters "are only interested in overthrowing the Lee Myung-bak government, not the safety of public health," he said.

Lee's government said it has asked the U.S. not to export beef from older cattle -- considered at greater risk of mad cow disease -- but rejected calls for a complete renegotiation of the accord, citing possible diplomatic and trade disputes with the U.S.

Lee dispatched several official delegations to Washington on Monday to seek assurances the U.S. will not ship beef from cattle older than 30 months, even though that is allowed under the agreement.

Both Seoul and Washington insist U.S. beef is safe, citing the Paris-based World Organization for Animal Health.

Scientists say mad cow disease spreads when farmers feed cattle recycled meat and bones from infected animals. The U.S. banned recycled feeds in 1997. In humans, eating meat products contaminated with the illness is linked to variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, a rare and fatal malady

Um, yeah. I'm fine with keeping it all here. Canada's had more mad cow scares that the US.

I'm sure we could put it to good use elsewhere.
guns.gif

It strikes me as odd that South Korea, widely regarded as teetering on the brink of "third world" status as far as food and environmental safety issues, would be so overtly concerned with the food safety practices here in the US.

Send them the friggin buns with no meat, that oughta teach em to shut the fug up...I know it gets me cheesed when I get that at the drive thru
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Last time I was in Korea I felt a sense that the new generation Koreans did not like Americans and wanted us out.

I have allways felt we should not be where we are not wanted

we should keep our beef, corn and rice..... we feed the world, they complain and rape us on their exports.... payback time..

we should keep our beef, corn and rice.....  we feed the world, they complain and rape us on their exports.... payback time..
No joke, the fricken Arab countries where all the oil is, don't they live in a fricken desert? don't they import most of their food?

lets raise the price of the food we export to those countries to offset the oil prices.

Dont know about the rest of the country, but in California the governator just declared a drought.

I think we need to raise the price of all exported food.. I don't know, lets say 15 times the current going rate to compensate, oh wait, you know the workers who create all products in the US have to eat the food so I guess we just need to raise the price on all exported products.

In all actuality, the price of oil isn't regulated by the Saudis. It is pumped up by the greedy speculators, THEY determine the price of crude. They are the people that are responsible for the high prices. The OPEC Minister today said that he was worried about the prices,that no country has asked for more crude than what is being delivered and that if asked to, they would add shipments to suppliment. But there are no takers. It is the speculation investors that are responsible for the high pump prices............

Ron

Hummmmmmmmm
winkold.gif
, how about we keep the meat here and recall all our troops there, back here
laugh.gif
. Now that would make an IMPACT on'em
blonde.gif

I'll split it with ya, Dennis.

Ron, I agree. We should stay the hell out of places where we aren't wanted. Not to mention, we should keep our money and stop giving it and other aid to countries who abuse us in spite of our never-ending generosity.

--Wag--

Back