Marine's Father Will Not Pay Court-Ordered Funeral Protesters' Fees

skydivr

Jumps from perfectly good Airplanes
Donating Member
You have GOT to be kidding...Instead of sueing, should have introduced them to the 2nd Amendment....

Let me get this straight (what irony):
1. Marine dies in combat
2. Wako protestors make fools of themselves, interupt private funeral and insult the family of our dead warrior
3. Family sues wakos, get's judgement
4. On appeal, wako's get judgement thrown out, then get judgement against family for legal expenses
5. Family refuses to pay judgement and heads for Supreme Court.

Interesting quagmire. Where does 1st Amendment right of free speach Begin - and END...

I'm for the DAD.

FOXNews.com - Marine's Father Will Not Pay Court-Ordered Funeral Protesters' Fees
-------------------------------------------
Marine's Father Will Not Pay Court-Ordered Funeral Protesters' Fees

FOXNews.com

The father of a Marine killed in Iraq whose funeral was picketed by anti-gay protesters told Fox News he will defy a court order and not pay the protesters' appeal costs.

The father of a Marine killed in Iraq whose funeral was picketed by anti-gay protesters told Fox News he will defy a court order and not pay the protesters' appeal costs.

Albert Snyder, of York, Pa., told Fox News he does not intend to pay $16,510 to Fred Phelps, the leader of Kansas' Westboro Baptist Church, which held protests at Marine Lance Cpl. Matthew Snyder's funeral in 2006.

"I don't think I'm going to be writing a check until I hear from the Supreme Court," Snyder told Fox News on Tuesday. "I'm not about to pay them anything."

The Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit ordered Snyder on Friday to pay Phelps. A two-page decision supplied by his attorneys offered no details on how the court came to its decision.

The decision adds "insult to injury," said Sean Summers, one of Snyder's attorneys.

Snyder is also struggling to come up with fees associated with filing a brief with the U.S. Supreme Court, his attorneys said.

The high court agreed to consider whether the protesters' message is protected by the First Amendment or limited by the competing privacy and religious rights of the mourners.

A federal appeals court dismissed the suit on First Amendment grounds earlier this month and threw out a $5 million award against the protesters, some of whom carried signs that read "God Hates You" and "Thank God for Dead Soldiers."

A funeral for the fallen Marline was held in March 2006 in Westminster, Md. Snyder, 20, died from a non-combat-related vehicle accident on March 3, 2006, while supporting Operation Iraqi Freedom.

According to a Web site created in Snyder's honor, his relatives filed the civil lawsuit against the Westboro Baptist Church to "bring an end to the reign of terror and abuse that they inflicted" upon grieving families of U.S. soldiers killed in Iraq and Afghanistan.

"Using innocent children to deliver their twisted message of hatred and fear, the defendants in this suit have sought to attack the memory of our departed heroes, to strip their loved one of dignity, and to use abuse and intimidation as a tool for preventing surviving family members from reaching closure over their loss," the Web site read.

Cathy Menefee, Snyder's sister, told the Baltimore Sun in 2006 that her brother had an unwavering sense of responsibility that led to his decision to join the military.

"It sounds so cliche, but he died doing what he wanted to do," Menefee told the paper. "He always wanted to be a Marine."

OMG! That makes me furious!!! Yeah, Free speech is a double edged sword. Too bad our founding fathers didn't think to put something in the constitution about having some common sense and decency when displaying said "free speech".

So, who is the ACLU going to support in this case? Let's see if they can do the right thing and NOT PARTICIPATE.

If it were my child, I'd go to prison for shooting that PoS.

ive said it before, you should have the right to protest anything except a persons funeral. anyones anywhere anytime.

So, who is the ACLU going to support in this case? Let's see if they can do the right thing and NOT PARTICIPATE.

Dont quote me on this, but i believe they already stated they were hands off on this one...

That and the Rev. Felps has the OJ Simpson type of legal team on call 24/7

half of his sons and daughters are actually lawyers...

hes one man i wouldnt mind if a bus accidently ran him over... Let him go join the fire and brimstone spewing god he believes in...

thats fugged up.

As a hunter I have the right to press charges for people harassing me while I hunt, but these azzhats can go to a fallen Marines funeral and do this and get paid for it. :banghead:

thats fugged up.

As a hunter I have the right to press charges for people harassing me while I hunt, but these azzhats can go to a fallen Marines funeral and do this and get paid for it. :banghead:
Good point, when does free speech become harassment - they definitely crossed the line showing up to a private funeral imo.

As an active duty member, and just buried my father who was retired after 22 years of service, I honestly do not know how I would react if these people showed up. I hope they all get what is coming to them.

I got to 25 and my Dad is a Korean War Vet...somebody would have to keep me off them...

G17 = 17 less protesters, until I reload!

How could anyone with a soul desecrate the memory of someone with such hate filled nonsense as that? Not that it'll change what happened at the funeral but, I hope the higher court sides with the family and stops these fools from hurting folks like this.

thats fugged up.

they were paid for protesting??????? I thought protesters were voluntary, not a job.

wrong on many levels

That is just plain infuriating. Wrong. What goes through these so called "protestors" minds?

I have to agree with that statement. What a piece of work!

MN has passsed laws regarding this type of BS, and the Patriot Riders attend every fallen soldiers funeral here. I hope seriously someone snipes this b*st*rd. no one will miss him anyways

Bill O'Rielly has just announced he will give the family the $16,000 for the court costs. However, they still have the supreme court. They will win there..........................

ten points for bor. westboro baptist church really needs to be gotten rid of. then we can protest at the "pastor's" funeral.

Back