I couldn't believe it.......

pack mule

formerly known as rtgt
Registered
I'm a white male 40 years old and have lived in small towns in NC all my life. When a good friend of mine at work was talking to me about racial situations and the things he had witnessed it floored me( he is black, 53 years old and grew up in a small SC town). We were dicussing Obama and the fact that he didn't believe he would have ever seen this day come. Growing up I heard the n word used but I never witnessed anyone calling a black person that to his face so I couldn't believe the stories he told me about how one human can treat another human that way simple because of his skin color. The first thing he told me how growing up he would go swimming in the river with his friends and the white people made them stay down stream, if any of his friends got in upstream the white people would get out. He also told me that his friend got bitten by a white persons dog and they were made to apologize to the owner for doing that to his dog. And finally how about his mother's social security card had the white guys name on it above his mothers that she worked for( she was his housekeeper). He showed it to me and if I hadn't seen it for myself, I don't think I would believe it. I'm not trying to start controversy, just to let others know the way humans can treat others right here in the US. There where many others things he told me, just too many to share. What amazes me is, that he holds no hard feelings toward anyone. He is a great person and I'm glad to call him my friend.

It's sad, but true. The ignorance of people led to a great deal of pain. I am not an Obama supporter, but I do agree that we have come a long way as a Country in terms of racial issues.

The problem I am seeing in the small town South now is reverse racism.

It's sad, but true. The ignorance of people led to a great deal of pain. I am not an Obama supporter, but I do agree that we have come a long way as a Country in terms of racial issues.

The problem I am seeing in the small town South now is reverse racism.

Racism is racism and there is no such thing as reverse racism.

when you think about it...it was not that long ago that blacks and whites were not equal. this was supported by the law.

we may be a little young to remember, but our parents for sure saw "white only" signs. my dad tells me stories of how they would only let the blacks and mexicans in the public pool on Wed. why? because they cleaned the pool on Thurs.

people will always pick on people. It's not just a race thing. skinny people, fat people, short, too muscled, ugly, pretty, smart dumb... we just suck and have to talk down to others to feel better.

I watched BEN HUR this weekend and was reminded that slavery was NOT just American. Back in the old days, those people grew up in families as slaves for rich people.... is that any different now when we are chained to our desks working to make the "Owner" richer?

It's just one of them things that will always be around because of threads like this. People sometimes don't want to move on as they feel they would have nothing to blame there failings on (nothing insinuated here). We still talk about the Germans and the Jews, it is certainly not right to forget, but is right to move on and get on with life...as it is, it’s too short:deadhorse:

To Recce, Thats kind of the point I was making, He had to live through it and he doesn't look on anyone as different. He remembers, but it doesn't define him. How many people today could get treated that way and not have some kind of bad feeling about it. If you don't learn from the past you are doomed to repeat it. Not try to get anything going, just try to pass on somethings I learned from a very special friend.

you guys would not believe this but when I first move to the US back in 1986. I was ask if in Puerto Rico we play baseball, bball and we had all the stores that where here at that time. They though that Puerto Rico was part of Mexico. and not only that they ask me if we where civilized. Ignorance is ignorance.

Thanks for sharing rtgt.

WWJD none of us in America are forced to work for anyone...it's just easier than putting forth the effort to be the owner.

I'm just glad it's over (few exceptions fo coarse) I saw "The secret life of bees" the other day and I was thinking about how I'd probably end up beat up for sticking up for people. It still boggles my mind why people are racist. But these people were also against ANY skin color. Right?

maybe eventually all the racist will finally die off and take their habits with them.:rulez:

Racism is racism and there is no such thing as reverse racism.

Although this is true, when you hear the word "racism" do you not imedietly think of someone treating a black person wrongly due to color? "Reverse racism" is just an easy way to refer to black people treating whites wrongly because they feel that white people still owe them for what their ancestors went through. Please don't take this for more than it is (a description) I am by NO MEANS racist. I have black friends and wouldn't trade them for a lot of white people.

It all begins with respect for one another. You're fortunate to have him as a friend, to understand and learn.

I hear more racist tones from black society that I do anywhere else. I'm not racist either. Ever see a movie called "White chicks"? My point exactly. It's a one way street in society.

Sad but true.

I *am* old enough to remember. And we have come a longgg way. Not perfect, mind you, but it's a lot different than when I was a kid. I'm proud of America. I'm proud of Americans, black and white. We've all come a long way and are better for it.

Back