couldn't do it!

pcosho

Registered
I've had my busa up for sale for quite some time now. Today I had an 18 yr old kid stop by(senior in high school)and offer me 6500 for my bike. I told him sold! He was planning on picking it up tomorrow but I called him and told him I didnt feel comfortable selling it to a teenager. Question is did I make the right decision? I have been thinking about it all night and my gut feeling tells me I may have just saved his life!

Allways go with your Gut feeling. It's kinda like God's last minute warning sign. Your Busa and the $6500 is not worth that kids life. If you had sold it to him and he died..............It would have stayed with you for the rest of your life.

Robert

Not many that age are mature enough for this type bike. Don't sweat it, you did good!:thumbsup:

I would have sold it to him . What he does with it is his business once he hands over the cash .

And what was his response when you said that ?

I Agree, if something happend to him and somehow you find out, it will stick on you mind. Unless you know for sure he has experience and its mature enough, dont even look back, you did good!

I commend you. He will get another bike and he wants some speed, if he has cash in hand he will get it. If selling it was going to keep you from sleeping or eat you up inside, good call. But I assure not selling him the bike didn't keep off one and he will get his dream bike, he may or may not survive this phase. Many mature riders here went through this and lived all though probably many of us here remember someone who didn't make through that phase. And some people have self control and ride safely never know what kind of rider he was.

Of course you did the right thing. Someone needs to give a damn since his parents obviously don't.
I was in my mid 30s with 20 years of riding experience when I bought mine and the sales manager was quizzing me on my riding experience before I handed over the cash.

if he doesnt buy it from you then he will buy it from someone else. my first bike was a 1986 GSX-R 1100 and I was 19 years old. it was just faster then my dirt bikes but not by much considering I rode a Honda CR250. I rode dirt bikes my whole life and found dirt bike riding far more dangerous then a street bike. I would feel perfectly fine selling an 18 yr old a busa knowing that hes getting a good running bike and not getting ripped off.

18 and 20 yr olds go into the dealerships and buy new busa's, 1000rr, 14's etc.... every day. age doesnt determine someone responsibility on a bike.

Good Call:thumbsup:, you don't want that on your mind or soul. It takes a already f*****d up in the head individual ( :whistle:) to deal with killing, death, destruction, ect. on a hands on basis. I have seen guys kill themselves over something that they had no control over and little to do with. Not saying you would but is not something you want wieghing on you. I think you made a good call. Your bike, Your Choice !!!

I also agree with Manny, If it is his time then its his time. Wheather it be on a 250, 600 or 1300. You just chose for it not to be on yours. Its all about how its going to effect you, really.. so, Good Call:thumbsup:

ask urself this question? if you owned say a 2010 GSXR 600 would you feel the same way?

a 600 has 125 hp and weighs about 125 lbs less then ur Busa with a top speed of 165 mph and will go mid 10's in the 1/4 mile. ANY bike a 18 yr. old or 80 yr. old buys today is fast enough to kill him in a heartbeat.

more kids die on motorcycles carving corners on smaller bikes then sport cruisers that are designed to go fast straight.

Hard call. Life is about making decisions we can sleep with and face ourselves in the mirror the next day. If something in you said no then that's better than ignoring it and worrying about it later. Yes it's his life. Yes you have no direct responsibility over him. But if you worried now then if something happened you'd carry his blood on your hands forever. I just found out why my Dad quit building fast cars for folks and frowned on me when I started doing it. He built a hot engine for a guy that killed four kids in a school bus two days later. That's a lot to carry on the old mind.

Yes, cash in hand he'll get one some where and sooner rather than later. But you won't be involved.

ask urself this question? if you owned say a 2010 GSXR 600 would you feel the same way?

a 600 has 125 hp and weighs about 125 lbs less then ur Busa with a top speed of 165 mph and will go mid 10's in the 1/4 mile. ANY bike a 18 yr. old or 80 yr. old buys today is fast enough to kill him in a heartbeat.

more kids die on motorcycles carving corners on smaller bikes then sport cruisers that are designed to go fast straight.

I see your point. If the kid gave me the impression that he knew how to ride, then it would have been a done deal. But if the Gut Instinct is talkin to you then that's a different story.

Robert

I see your point. If the kid gave me the impression that he knew how to ride, then it would have been a done deal. But if the Gut Instinct is talkin to you then that's a different story.

Robert
yea I guess ur right. its not like there wont be some 25 yr. old dude coming along tomorow to buy it. but then again is that 25 yr. old and more or less likely to drive it into the woods then he is? I guess that would depend on his riding experience on and off the road.

At one time I had a gsxr1000 that I bearly used, one guy that I knew always asked me, Why dont you sell me that bike? He ask me couple of times for it, but I wasnt ready to sell it by then, he eventually bought another 1k, he liked speed and he end-up having a really bad accident which it took his life, I know the accident has nothing to do with me, but Im glad that I didnt sell the bike to him, I cant even imagine how I would feel if it was my bike.

RIP Andres

At one time I had a gsxr1000 that I bearly used, one guy that I knew always asked me, Why dont you sell me that bike? He ask me couple of times for it, but I wasnt ready to sell it by then, he eventually bought another 1k, he liked speed and he end-up having a really bad accident which it took his life, I know the accident has nothing to do with me, but Im glad that I didnt sell the bike to him, I cant even imagine how I would feel if it was my bike.

RIP Andres

Really sorry about your friend... R.I.P Andres

But that is my point, it is ultimately how pcosho would have felt if something would have happen. It would have been his heart and soul bearing that wieght because it was his bike. Im not saying that we shouldn't show respect, moarn or grieve for our falling riders just because they bought the bike from somewhere else. But the fact is, you carry a sense of responsibility for that person death when the bike (or whatever it is) came from you. I know ppl shouldn't do that because its out of our hands but its just human nature for some. And if he would have felt some kind of way about it. Then he made a good call. For hisself. Like everyone says....He can walk right down the street and buy another one, so he is not depriving him of anything.

U did the right thing...even if he buys a busa down the street and something happens..it was not u who sold the bike to him....i think if something did happen that thought would always be in the back of your mind..some people think different about this..that it was his fault or rider error ect..but u never know whats going to happen who u sell the bike to...actually my first thought was do i really want my bike tore up..

18??? Its not like he can vote, oh wait.. well at least he is not able to be on his own, wait.. well at least he can't go put his life on the line to protect my freedom...oh..umm..wait.

Well at least you knew what kind of person he was...

In truth. Age shouldn't matter.. I'm almost 30 and I'm not much more mature than an 18 year old. BUT if your not comfortable with the sell.. you made the right reason.

I have ridden for about 12 years. My first bike was a 96 GSXR 750. I have done every stupid thing you can imagine on the street. I even road raced and love the track.

What I learned from my experience is that all new bikes are more than capable of getting you killed. Quickly! But a busa or 1k make long straightaways very short very quickly. Yes a 600 is fast but far more forgiving.

Your conscience is what should be important to you. You have to sleep with your decision.

Back