I almost died today....

rashad

Registered
Please talk me out of selling my bike after what happened...or rather what almost happened today... It sounds silly but it honestly could happen at any time and that is what scares me..

I have a fiance' and three kids waiting for me at home.. and I was an inch away from eating pavement at high speed today...

Be careful out there guys... there are many things beyond our control: drunk/old drivers, soccer moms, cell phone toting morons, but to me the scariest of them is the things you cannot predict or see until its too late.... A FLAT TIRE.

I was cruising down my favorite stretch of straight highway, had just passed some cars and had a nice space cushion around me... crisp 75 degrees, sunny, it was heaven. I eased up to around 130mph or similar cruising speed (away from traffic obviously). I got off the throttle as the highway curved ever so slightly, and prepared to slow down to 80...that's when I felt it...

"Whoa. What was that?" It felt almost as if my front tire twitched, like it hit a small rock or even the beginning of a speed wobble... I got on the gas and it smoothed out... It was only as I began to slow again that I knew something felt....wrong.

I put on my signal and began slowing down with just air as the brake, cars began to catch up so I lightly touched the rear brake thinking it may be the front tire... WRONG. My ass end began steering the bike and my remaining LIFE into the guard rail.

I shifted all of my body weight INTO traffic against my instincts, keeping the bike from riding the downward slope of the road's shoulder. I somehow managed to slow down on the gravel shoulder with very little braking and "flintstoned" my ass into some semblance of a halt.

The pic is of me pushing the rear tire to the rim. That tire looks bad in the pic for some reason but it was actually in good shape. Not at the wear bars yet even in the middle and Ive been taking it to the strip a few times. I havent even bothered to check it out or even find the puncture yet.. I just dont have the time or money right now to worry about it.

My friend drove by and saw me and she came back to pick me up and I went home and grabbed my car. I met my good buddy Eric at the scene and we loaded her up onto his toyhauler. She sits in my fiance's garage now....

The whole experience really shook me up. I know all of you have touched 130mph at one point.. Ok even 80 mph... If that had been my front tire, which assuming I ran over an object with the rear, It was only half and inch away from my front tire... I would have been dead or seriously injured...and there wouldnt be a damn thing I could do about it. The scariest part was how well the busa rode at 100+ with a flat for at least a mile.... It was glass smooth and had a slight wobble... nothing major... that was misleading enough to make me speed up a bit thinking it was a speed wobble...

Anyways here is a pic.. im still a little mixed up over it... and to top it off I just found out my buddy was life-flighted to the hospital after he went into a ditch due to a tire issue:please:

2011-06-03-13-57-52-758.jpg

I have driven on flat tires
The rear isnt too bad on a sport bike
Have lost one on a harley thats real scary
Only u can decide if you are going to stay riding though its your call
I personally only race on a track now the street isnt for me at this time
Sorry i couldnt help in your desicion

Glad your ok, I think we all take for granted how quickly things can go bad on 2 wheels. Got to be careful out there fellas, we all have love ones to come home to

I'd say a prayer to thank God, and then do what you think is right. That was some story, and I'm glad you're here to tell us. Thank God.

I agree we shouldnt go that fast on the street and I dont do it all the time.. even if only to avoid tickets... but you can never tell when youll hit that random sharp nail or screw or whatever... be it when you are leaned over on that sharp curve or blasting down the highway....

Bottom line is this: To say we taking risks is a part of riding is one thing, to live it, another entirely....

Dude..........When its your Time.............It's your Time :rulez:

Get a new tire. Hug the Kids and Fiance. Tell them you love them and Ride On :thumbsup:

Stef said, "Apparently its not your time. It's your time to stay here and take care of me. It scares me, but I don't want you to sell that bike. I know you love it."

-keeper.:whistle:

I say the same thing when someone asks me "what if your tire blows out at 100+mph? or you wreck?"

I could just as easy blow out the tires on a car and end up getting hit by a 18 wheeler on the interstate; so should i not drive a car or be on the interstate?

Jobs that pay over 150K annually have higher suicide rates then those below 75K so should i refuse any job over 150k?

when its your time its your time enjoy what time you got

Tire pressure monitoring system with a warning alarm you can set for you desired pressure:poke: Not very expensive for what it does Tim at Pashnit.com I believe sells some type of them. Flat tire fear solved as for the rest of fears, soccer mom an texting idiots they along with many other unforeseeable hazards will always be there.

130 is fast for loss of pressure but know two things....modern hi end tubeless sportbike tires have short and stiff sidewalls that do much to reduce total loss of control and the centrifugal force exerted on the tire itself at speed also is a friendly positive force. As in your description of the event, your control issues increased as you slowed the bike.
So as you slowed, the need for you to be gentle increased, which, it sounds like you did, superbly.
The next issue is your reaction to it all. Yes, you saw what "could" have happened but because of tire engineering and your abilities, it did not happen. Should you slow down? Probably, just do it on the track in a safe and controlled environment. It simply changes the odds dramatically. I don't mean to say never to blast off or enjoy the Busas' performance, just do it way less on the street. Wait until a few days pass and your emotions disapate, your ideas will be much more calm and accurate. Good luck to you.
Doyle

Stef said, "Apparently its not your time. It's your time to stay here and take care of me. It scares me, but I don't want you to sell that bike. I know you love it."

-keeper.:whistle:

Where did you find one like that??:bowdown:

If u r passionate about riding you won't sell. Don't let this be the deciding factor in if u ever ride Again. Glad u are ok man. That could have been bad. Stay safe bro.

Rockethed using Tapatalk

Back