I almost died today....

I have the same thoughts about the danger from time to time. But life is short and I love what I do on a motorcycle. All one can do is minimize the chances of something happening, just like in a car. I'd love to roll my new 5.0 down 66 at 150 but I don't because it's more dangerous (and the man is everywhere!!) :rulez:
Slow down a little and do your part for self-preservation...the rest is up to the man!! :rulez:
ride-on! :beerchug:

130 is fast for loss of pressure but know two things....modern hi end tubeless sportbike tires have short and stiff sidewalls that do much to reduce total loss of control and the centrifugal force exerted on the tire itself at speed also is a friendly positive force. As in your description of the event, your control issues increased as you slowed the bike.
So as you slowed, the need for you to be gentle increased, which, it sounds like you did, superbly.
The next issue is your reaction to it all. Yes, you saw what "could" have happened but because of tire engineering and your abilities, it did not happen. Should you slow down? Probably, just do it on the track in a safe and controlled environment. It simply changes the odds dramatically. I don't mean to say never to blast off or enjoy the Busas' performance, just do it way less on the street. Wait until a few days pass and your emotions disapate, your ideas will be much more calm and accurate. Good luck to you.
Doyle

I am soo with Ray on this one...nicely said...

Glad youre ok, thank God you are here to tell the story...dont let life intimidate you or it will pass you by my friend..:thumbsup:

man. scary story. But I think its a testiment to the skill of the engineers for both the tire and the bike. Considering you were traveling 130mph with a flat tire, and it was smooth enough for you to not even notice until you got down to a safer speed, Id say the tires/bike functioned very well and kept you alive, along with your good instincts for what to do...

Now you know what to expect and how to react if it ever happens again.

Tire pressure monitoring system with a warning alarm you can set for you desired pressure:poke: Not very expensive for what it does Tim at Pashnit.com I believe sells some type of them. Flat tire fear solved as for the rest of fears, soccer mom an texting idiots they along with many other unforeseeable hazards will always be there.

Will they rip out the valve stem like the neon light valve caps at high speed.

Glad that you are safe. Now you know what it feels like when you get a flat. I have never felt this yet. Knock on wood

Yes, those texters are dangerous. Make sure u look in the rvm when stopped! Ppl are too distracted these days.. helps to have a hi contrast design on your jacket too.
Posted via Mobile Device

Glad you are OK.

I look at bike riding like this, we are "ALL" going to die someday, someway, sometime, and we have no control over how? When? Or Where. I want to go out doing something I love to do. I don`t want to be in my cage and a drunk takes me out. I don`t want to be at work and have a heart attack. I don`t want a robber shooting me at 7-11, or the ATM. Damn sure don`t want a home invasion and bangers blow me away. I don`t want an airplane falling out of the sky and killing me.

My point is, it is going to happen, someday, someway, some how. When, hell I don`t know???

Life is short, get your affairs in order. Thank the Big Guy above (If You Believe), and live life. You get one shot at life, live it.

Anybody want to donate a complete turbo system to me? :laugh:

Clit has been zipped.. I just needed some sleep...thanks for the "TUF" love!:rofl:

And you all are right, **** happens no matter if you ride or not... I will just have to internalize this and use the knowledge if I need it.

Thanks for the support!:beerchug:

keep riding why ....
my father inlaw has terminal cancer..

i would rather exit this mortal coil on a bike , than being eaten alive by the big 'C..

so don't give up your bike ( I have 4 kids all boys 13,15,16, and 19)

Last edited:
If you have ANY people (wife or kids) who rely on you AT ALL for money, you need to have life insurance. This is incredibly important. Anyone riding with a family at home and no life insurance is pretty much an ass. I have seen too many women left with kids and no money when the husband dies. Always take care of those who you love. Also, you did it right by only ripping it when there was a nice wide open spot in traffic. Had that happened when you were boxed in by cars it would have really got exciting! Also, every real man in my book, needs to have plans on meeting his maker if he is over 25 or any age if riding a bike. It is that important. I have laid in the ER with the surgeon telling me (You will make it, your a big healthy guy), which was not the right thing to say. BUT, I had life insurance and was ready to meet God. Very peaceful compared to what I would have thought. Since then I have NO FEAR at all of death. Injuries are another matter!:whistle:

Clit has been zipped.. I just needed some sleep...thanks for the "TUF" love!:rofl:

And you all are right, **** happens no matter if you ride or not... I will just have to internalize this and use the knowledge if I need it.

Thanks for the support!:beerchug:

All joking aside, if you didn't have a valve cap on the stem you may have unwittingly let the air out yourself. At high speeds like that the centrifical force can pull the valve stem in far enough to let the air out.

I'm not kidding on this one. High speed and it's a MUST to have tight caps on the valve stem.

First off, glad you managed to stop safely. Big props to you for how you handled the situation.

Second, I am surprised at your conclusions about high speed riding and unexpected loss of tire pressure. TPMS systems have been around for years. If you had one, you would've been warned of pressure loss a long time prior to your incident, and would only suffer an inconvenience. The right question to ask yourself is why didn't you know about TPMS, and if you did know why you made a decision not to install one on your bike?

I personally got one as soon as they appeared on the market. I got SmarTire system years ago, and have been enjoying safety and convenience for good 5+ years. I probably can't remember a ride where I didn't do 130. Your concern has little to do with high speed. Just admit a poor decision making on your part, draw conclusions to be more proactive, and move on.

Expanding on this, ask yourself a question what is your plan of action if you get a flat in the middle of nowhere? Never mind sudden loss - let's say you noticed a partial loss of pressure and stopped by the side of the road. Then what? If you don't have a clear answer, then it would seem you simply decided to close your eyes on such possible scenario, and decided to hope for the best.

I am not trying to give you a hard time. Simply saying that we have to be more proactive and consider various negative outcomes, and stay prepared as well as we can. I personally carry with me a simple tire repair kit, and a CyclePump. Plugged the rear once, right on the highway.

Just a couple of days ago I was about to do a high speed run, and my TPMS started flashing. It wasn't an air loss, but I couldn't figure what it was, so at the least I restrained myself from doing warp 3. When I got home I figured that the pressure was simply way below preset values because I didn't up the pressure since my recent track day. That's what I call erring on the side of safety.

Anyway, don't take me too seriously. The key is to use common sense and passion as a driving force, and not fear. Because acting on fear always makes things worse and riskier in the long run.

Oh my,, clean out your shorts, get a new tire, and grow some!

First off, glad you managed to stop safely. Big props to you for how you handled the situation.

Second, I am surprised at your conclusions about high speed riding and unexpected loss of tire pressure. TPMS systems have been around for years. If you had one, you would've been warned of pressure loss a long time prior to your incident, and would only suffer an inconvenience. The right question to ask yourself is why didn't you know about TPMS, and if you did know why you made a decision not to install one on your bike?

I personally got one as soon as they appeared on the market. I got SmarTire system years ago, and have been enjoying safety and convenience for good 5+ years. I probably can't remember a ride where I didn't do 130. Your concern has little to do with high speed. Just admit a poor decision making on your part, draw conclusions to be more proactive, and move on.

Expanding on this, ask yourself a question what is your plan of action if you get a flat in the middle of nowhere? Never mind sudden loss - let's say you noticed a partial loss of pressure and stopped by the side of the road. Then what? If you don't have a clear answer, then it would seem you simply decided to close your eyes on such possible scenario, and decided to hope for the best.

I am not trying to give you a hard time. Simply saying that we have to be more proactive and consider various negative outcomes, and stay prepared as well as we can. I personally carry with me a simple tire repair kit, and a CyclePump. Plugged the rear once, right on the highway.

Just a couple of days ago I was about to do a high speed run, and my TPMS started flashing. It wasn't an air loss, but I couldn't figure what it was, so at the least I restrained myself from doing warp 3. When I got home I figured that the pressure was simply way below preset values because I didn't up the pressure since my recent track day. That's what I call erring on the side of safety.

Anyway, don't take me too seriously. The key is to use common sense and passion as a driving force, and not fear. Because acting on fear always makes things worse and riskier in the long run.

I never really thought about the tpms...i appreciate your reply..and yes I am saved so meeting my maker will be a great experience.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

i've been down before, it sucks....but man you just got to get back up and keep riding....can't let fear control your life. ride it like you stole it brother. :thumbsup:

Back