Almost died tonight

Fastfrog007

Donating Member
Registered
Well, I was on my way home from a friends shop where we had been painting fairings and watching some Top Gear. I got on the highway at about 1230 AM in a dark stretch without overhead lights, so I had my high beam on. Good ol upstate NY has way too many critters that cant keep off the road at night. I was coming up to a semi truck in the center lane, I was in the left, doin about 65 or so. There was a right hand bend and as I approached the truck he decided he didnt like my high beam, sorry, I need to see, you can deal with some light in your mirrors for a few seconds. Well, he turned his back up light on, which was located on saddle tank and bright as a high beam right in my eyes. Im glad I knew there was nothing next to me (hadnt gotten next to him yet) and leaned more to go the the center lane and not the guard rail. I couldnt see anything as I did this, but knew it was my best option.

Needless to say, this irratated me, which doesnt usually work out well for other drivers, a few of you recall the Hooligan Frog story... Anyway, I dropped back a wee bit knowing an 18 wheeler cant Brake-check a bike, and kept the ol high beam in his eyes till I decided how to handle the situation. First idea, get past him and introduce my pocket of ball bearings to his front end. Now, the last time I was pro-active like this, it didnt work out well for either of us, but the bearings are kept handy anyway. Yeah, Yeah, I should have just turned my high beam off, fell back, not done anything, or so Im sure a few of you and the Police would surely tell me, NOPE, not an option for this guy.

I noticed a trailer number and company recruiting phone number on the back of the tanker, BINGO! I dialed the number on my phone, mounted in the Ram mount, and texted the trailer number to the last person i had text to save it for later.

Ill be making a polite call to the number and get myself a person in charge to speak with and see how that goes. Im pretty sure it'll fall on deaf ears unless this guy has a habit of this kinda thing. If so, its bearings for the next guy :)

some truck drivers dont give a dam about bikers my buddy i grew up with is a truck driver and some of the stories ive heard from him about what other drivers do is crazy... glad your ok

Good judgment and common sense seems to have evaded you? I do hope you gather yourself before the next road rage challenge to the poor bloke who dare give you a taste of your own medicine. Courtesy to others goes a long way towards tranquility on the road. :beerchug:

Glad you are ok but why have you not called yet!

be careful bud and ride like you did!. think one step ahead of these idiots.. i wouldve had an old lady hit me today too if i didnt notice her before she floored it in the turning lane right infront of me..

Ever see one of those frogs that has been run over and then dried in the sun all day? Be careful and don't play with trucks!:rulez:

Yeah, sorry Frog....but I agree with Tuf on this one! :thumbsup:

When you hit his side mirrors with Hi-beam.....you're concentrating that bright beam of light right into his face, which is affecting his ability to see where he needs to go! He was merely giving you back what you gave him first!!

Respect is a two-way street....
:rulez:
And as for dropping ball-bearings on the roadway, that's about as irresponsible as anyone could possibly be :banghead:.......if you're pulling dumb stunts like that, I feel truly sorry for any other bike riders around your area!!

When you hit his side mirrors with Hi-beam.....you're concentrating that bright beam of light right into his face, which is affecting his ability to see where he needs to go! He was merely giving you back what you gave him first!!

Exactly, it is a bit different than being in a car, those truck mirrors are huge because thats all they have to see behind the truck with, so thats almost as bad as meeting someone with their brights on. I know you need to see but hey man, you can dim those lights for a few while coming up behind vehicles until you make the pass. Use the other vehicles lights to light the way.

oh and you may consider doing an hid upgrade with the "proper" projector housing, then you can see without blinding other drivers.

Oh and glad you are ok.

You might win that fight, but from underneath the truck, no one will see the trophy. :banghead:

We can get our "Emotional" side wound up pretty quickly out there. Let's live to ride another day.

man glad you came outta that ok, some of those drivers just dont care. Glad you didnt end up like this.:laugh:

flfr09yr013_thumb.jpg

I used to have a CDL and drove a big truck in my youth. As bad as it is to see from your bike, it's hard as hell to see out of a big truck at night, and remember the truck has very poor maneurvability/braking. From my perspective - if I had been driving my truck - my thought would have been "holy cow that bike's high beam is too bright, I can't see crap and I need him to get that dang light out of my eyes, so I'm gonna give him a taste of his own medicine to remind him to turn that freaking high beam off".....and as soon as your high beam went to low, I'd turn that rear light back off too. And if you were to throw a ball bearing at me over something like that...well, you'd better hope you can get away, because then it might be game on...that could kill me just as easily as it might kill you.

You have no idea how many cars run all night with their high beams on with complete disregard to others. And if you are running your bike crossing traffic with your high beams on, you are incorrect sir.

Back