Hayabusa  or Kawasaki zx14

XLevarX

Registered
Granted there is no info on the 08 Kawi but i'd like to get a honest opinion from someone who's ridden both bikes in stock form. Reason being stock form is because i doubt i will mod the bike. I have a 2003 Yamaha R-6 that i've had for the last 3 years and its just now starting to feel as if i've out grown the bike so now i'm seeking more. Its going to be either the Busa or the Zx14 with the R-1 looming in the background. I love my R-6, but what i seek now is comfort. I've done allot of riding over the past 3 years, allot more than i thought i would initially do and alas, i'm hooked. I've had a few scares, never went down, have pushed my limits, but i wanna do some longer distance with more power, hence my plan to upgrade in the Spring of 2008. I'm not brand loyal as all ive been on is the R6, but the Busa and Zx14 have really caught my eye. I've sat on em both and honestly the 14 Felt a little more comfy, but not by much. I have yet to see or sit on the 08 Busa. One of these monsters will be mines, and i just need some help deciding. I'm not a canyon rider or anything like that, i'm here in St. Louis Mo and we don't have much, if any of that. Im a Police Officer and a very responsible individual, and yes i started on the R-6 and i was fine. So, i would like someone who can/would give me an honest opinion on both bikes. I just want the most bang for my buck and like i said, i'm not looking to mod, so it will be in stock form. My R-6 was fast fast enough for me the last 3 years in stock form. Thanks for the help, and yes i've searched, but every thread i've come across did not seem like a fair comparison, it was basically someone bashing the other brand. Thanks in advance.

You will enjoy the Hayabusa more. It has a larger reputation and a standing name. In 08 it will also have more power.

The choice is a no brainer if you ask me.

I say Busa. I have not rode a zx14 but I love the look of the busa better. If you are going to keep it stock, I think the choice is just which one you like, and feels better. Coming off of an R6, which everyone you choose will still scare the pants off you for power it will be night and day. So happy hunting.
P.S.
In a perfect world I would have 3 busa's one for show, one for go, & an 08 just cause
super.gif

(XLevarX @ Sep. 17 2007,13:47) Granted there is no info on the 08 Kawi but i'd like to get a honest opinion from someone who's ridden both bikes in stock form. Reason being stock form is because i doubt i will  mod the bike. I have a 2003 Yamaha R-6 that i've had for the last 3 years and its just now starting to feel as if i've out grown the bike so now i'm seeking more. Its going to be either the Busa or the Zx14 with the R-1 looming in the background. I love my R-6, but what i seek now is comfort. I've done allot of riding over the past 3 years, allot more than i thought i would initially do and alas, i'm hooked. I've had a few scares, never went down, have pushed my limits, but i wanna do some longer distance with more power, hence my plan to upgrade in the Spring of 2008. I'm not brand loyal as all ive been on is the R6, but the Busa and Zx14 have really caught my eye. I've sat on em both and honestly the 14 Felt a little more comfy, but not by much. I have yet to see or sit on the 08 Busa. One of these monsters will be mines, and i just need some help deciding. I'm not a canyon rider or anything like that, i'm here in St. Louis Mo and we don't have much, if any of that. Im a Police Officer and a very responsible individual, and yes i started on the R-6 and i was fine. So, i would like someone who can/would give me an honest opinion on both bikes. I just want the most bang for my buck and like i said, i'm not looking to mod, so it will be in stock form. My R-6 was fast fast enough for me the last 3 years in stock form. Thanks for the help, and yes i've searched, but every thread i've come across did not seem like a fair comparison, it was basically someone bashing the other brand. Thanks in advance.
I own an 06 14 and an 04 busa. If you want to get feedback on the 08's thats gonna be kinda hard since there not out for the general public yet...at least no one on this board  
sad.gif
 But as far as the bikes I have, the busa is a little sportier in the riding position, and in the handling as well. The busa also vibrates quite abit more than the 14...especially in the middle rpms. The 14 is alot more comfy and vibe free for longer rides with a much better seating position (especially for a tall guy like me). The busa has alot more power at lower rpms, which also helps its twisty abilities. But it turns in a little slower due to the steering damper. Although it holds a line quite abit better than the 14...way more stable and confidence inspiring mid corner. The 14 doesn't have a damper and with the softer suspension its a little more squirrely and twitchy through the corners. But the ride is plusher on the open road. Stock for stock the 14 is noticeably faster top end and the busa is noticeably stronger low end...kind of a trade off. The 14 is restricted below 5 grand so there aint alot of power there. You can roll on the power for the busa where you have to downshift the 14. I like them both and think either one would make a great all round bike. You just have to decide if you want more long distance comfort, or give a little up for more sport.

On a side note the new 14's supposed to be the same except for a few extra ponies....and the new busa is also similair to the old since it shares the same frame, rake and trail as the first gen. The new busa has more power...but so will the 14, so its prolly gonna shake down fairly similair to what we have now in alot of ways...except I suspect they're going to be very close in power  
tounge.gif
 . Either way its hard to go wrong  
wink.gif

tounge.gif

biggrin.gif

tounge.gif

I looked at a ZX14 and have riden with one in the Sat. morning group several times aaand.. IMO they feel and appear to be more oriented for drag racing, cruiser/stop light rocketeering. For my wants and needs the Hayabusa's better handling ( I'm from the other side of the state and we DO have twisties here
smile.gif
) filled the bill much better.

Now the real reason,, I don't like how the ZX14 looks.
And the Hayabusa is one sexy beast.
So here I am instead of the 14 board. My .02
beerchug.gif
Tom

They are both great bikes,i don't think you could go wrong with either one.

I would love to park a black 14....right between my busa and 12.

i go to the zx14 forum from time to time and it seems like the 14 is having frame issues like breakage and electrical issues like grounds ...also workmanship issues which they compare to the busa ...u might want to check into that also the busa is already tried n true for 8 years all the bugs have been worked out and tons more in aftermarket support than the zx14 , both are good bikes in the end if u buy new get the extended warranty i always do for peace of mind
beerchug.gif

Welcome to the board. I think most of our opinions will be biased at best. You are after all on a Hayabusa site. As for a comparison, I would say the best bike for your buck is the Busa. I have seen and sat on a ZX-14 but not rode one. I do not like the seat or the more upright stance with the Kawi, but I do like the gauge set-up. Now the 08 Busa has a gauge set up that beats them all. Whatever you decide, get yourself in our next area ride. And keep the rubber side down.
beerchug.gif

(Busa505 @ Sep. 17 2007,14:47) i go to the  zx14 forum from time to time and it seems like the  14 is having frame issues like breakage and electrical issues like grounds ...also workmanship issues which they compare to the busa ...u might want to check into that also the busa is already tried n true for 8 years all the bugs have been worked out and tons more in aftermarket support than the zx14 , both are good bikes  in the end  if u buy new get the extended warranty i always do for peace of mind  
beerchug.gif
...ONE zx14 had a problem with the frame and NO ONE knows what caused it .....No one has reported wiring problem other than the ground on a aftermarket P/C ground ....Fit and finish on the zx14 is very very good ...The zx14 only had one recall in 06 and only on a few first run bikes ..It was a lose bolt on the tip over sensor.....Unlike the Busa that had recalls for the first few years and still has trans problems jumping out of 2 gear ( hope they fixed that for 08) After market has just as many goodies for the zx14 as the busa and it's growing daily... 6 different turbos should you want one ...Big Bores , strokers kit , cams, body work, You want it they got it...

Point is they are both killer bikes and no matter what one you pick you will be very happy ...So it comes down to what bike you like the looks of or fits your style ....

(The Big Red One @ Sep. 17 2007,14:19) I own an 06 14 and an 04 busa. If you want to get feedback on the 08's thats gonna be kinda hard since there not out for the general public yet...at least no one on this board  
sad.gif
 But as far as the bikes I have, the busa is a little sportier in the riding position, and to a degree in the handling as well. The busa also vibrates quite abit more than the 14...especially in the middle rpms. The 14 is alot more comfy and vibe free for longer rides with a much better seating position (especially for a tall guy like me). The busa has alot more power at lower rpms, which also helps its twisty abilities. But it turns in a little slower due to the steering damper. The 14 doesn't have a damper and with the softer suspension its a little more squirrely and twitchy in the corners. But the ride is plusher on the open road. Stock for stock the 14 is noticeably faster top end and the busa is noticeably stronger low end...kind of a trade off. The 14 is restricted below 5 grand so there aint alot of power there. You can roll on the power for the busa where you have to downshift the 14. I like them both and think either one would make a great all round bike. You just have to decide if you want more long distance comfort, or give a little up for more sport.

On a side note the new 14's supposed to be the same except for a few extra ponies....and the new busa is also similair to the old since it shares the same frame, rake and trail as the first gen. The new busa has more power...but so will the 14, so its prolly gonna shake down fairly similair to what we have now in alot of ways...except I suspect they're going to be very close in power  
tounge.gif
 . Either way its hard to go wrong  
wink.gif

tounge.gif

biggrin.gif
Thank you Big Red One for that well written response. It's nice to see a well thought out reasonably un-biased answer in an internet group.
biggrin.gif

I'm in the same boat as the original poster - Hayabusa or ZX-14? I like to ride long distance - my '06 Goldwing has 37.5K on it, and I've owned it less than a year and a half - but one of the reasons I want a new bike is I want a better canyon carver (than the 'wing, which does better than you might expect).

I tihink for me it's going to boil down to the fact that I like the looks of the Hay-bus better than the big Kaw. Next the question is '05-'07 or '08? There are new '07's around here for under $9,500 which seems like a screaming deal (other than the colors. What was Suzuki thinking with mono-tone blue & red?): I'm sure there will be few if any discounted '08's availiable.

tounge.gif

biggrin.gif

Now go to bikeland and ask the same question. There are a lot of former Busa owners there. They loved their Busa's and they love their 14's.

I've found the busa to handle better and have far more "USABLE POWER" in the ranges your average street rider is going to be living in...and that power?..."IS"..noticably more linear and user friendly...like one test rider/editor noted years back...

"The busa is a perfectly balanced blend of both power and handling"

The power delivery is so smooth and linear that the throttle is like turning the rehostat on a gigantic electric motor that never runs out of HP.

and?..for most?..the busa is a pretty comfy Hyper ST'er that can also cut-a-rug when things get twisted.

Happy shopping and L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

First of all Welcome. Nice to see another person from Saint Louis. I have gone on some long trips with my Busa and it is a great long distance bike. I do not have experience on the 14. There are alot of good twisties here around the Saint Louis area. I am more like you when it comes to that. Not looking for twisties. I use my bike as a daily commuter for work purposes and love it. I Sat on a 14 and did not feel as comfortable on it as I do on my bike. I have seen alot more Busas used on long distance touring than 14 so far. The Busa is a more proven bike and has a stonger following. If you are not looking to take the bike to the strip and would like a bike that has more usable torque for the quick acceleration to highway speeds, you will enjoy the Busa more.

Thanks for all the advice guys, i can honestly say i am torn, since i don't think its gonna matter which one i end up on because its gonna be a huge step up from my 2003 Yamaha R-6. I live right here in the St. Louis Area, i'm talking 10 minutes from downtown so there are no twisties that i'm aware of. This purchase will be made in the Spring so i guess there is still lots of time to think on it. I'm leaning more towards the Busa though the Mode selector on the 08 is a turn-off for me. I just think of one more thing to go wrong with the bike but maybe i'm putting to much thought into it. That Black 08 Busa is one hell of a bike, talk about a eye candy to get my blood pumping. We shall see, btw for all my STL peeps, i'm one of those cops that will only be stopping yah to get a look at the bike lol, don't have to worry about any tickets from me. Take it easy guys and be safe!

Back