Question from newbie

Ssilkyslim_3rd

Registered
Hi, I appreciate the opinions of the folk on this board and am seeking guidance on a bike. I'm 6 ft. 5in tall and 275lbs. I really like the Busa but I've read that its not a good bike for beginners, but the bike is comfortable to me. Any suggestions?

It is amazing how confident you can feel on a bike that fits you... My previous bike was ZX7R and I could barely put my tippy toes on the ground while on it... I was never comfortable on that bike and I bet that bike was more dangerous to me then the Busa looking back...

Have a Busa for a first bike is a question that has been pondered over and over... check the sticky thread up top. I really think it has to do with self-control and respect for the bike. (any bike for that matter.) You know yourself the best and if you can't trust yourself on something like that, maybe you should start off with a smaller 600 so even when the ego is telling you to push it, you will only be able to go so far. The ego is what will kill you first as a beginner.

Cloud

Welcome Slim (at 6'5" 275 hardly slim
laugh.gif
)  As cloud said that question has been pondered many times over.  The fact of the matter is, the larger cc bikes are less forgiving than the 600/700cc.  We always say be safe with the throttle/clutch relationship and you'll be fine.  Well that's true as it relates to starting & taking slower curves.  The problem comes when you:
-brake too hard too soon
-take a curve too fast
-spin rear tire (believe me this will happen frequently)

Not saying it can't be done because I'm sure there are some board members who started on a Busa.  On that note you really can't compare bed pans, because it's just like any other sport some have a natural talent to ride and some have to work at improving that talent.  Not to scare you (well maybe to scare you) the Busa is not a beginner bike, but due to you size you're kinda left with slim pickings in the bike realm.  Whatever you decide it should have long wheelbase and some extra weight (ie Kaw zzr, Honda inteceptor, Suz Kat 750).  Hope this helped, but regardless of which you decide respect the bike and ride safely.

God bless,
BD

Thanks for the replies. What I've noticed is i rode my friend's 04 gsxr-750 and i was very uncomfortable(knees close to the fairings, height of foot pegs,riding position, etc.). I think the fact that I'm comfortable on the Busa will aid in my ability to ride the Busa, if i take it slow. But what are the main points that make the Busa not a beginner bike? Other than the fact that it's fast.

-The Busa is far less forgiving than other bikes. By the time you realize you're in trouble it's too late.
-So much torque that before a newbie realizes he's spinning his bike is on it's side (not a good thing if pulling out in front of on coming traffic)
-The fact that it is so stable at higer speeds can put you in a comfort zone of speed. What I mean is you may be cruising at 110 and think you're doing 80- no lie happens to me all the time.
-Starting on such a powerful bike can inhibit the growth of your riding skills. Being so intimidating for too long kinda stunts your growth.

I understand what ya mean about the comfort thing bro, it may be that ya may have to get a Busa and take things very slow. How old are you and how easy are you on the gas peddle in your car? Not saying it can't be done Slim, just very risky. Regardless of what you decide your fam will support you, we just want you to grow as fast as possible. Be blessed.

I am sure many will chime in on why a Busa is not a beginner's bike...

I think its a little more forgiving actually then some of the smaller CC bikes are... The Busa sits slightly more upright then the superbikes, therefore taking weight off the handle-bars. I think many of the opinions on crotch rockets are that they are not forgiving and it has to do with the positioning of the person on the bike.

I think the bottom line is that as a beginner, your Ego will kill you first... Just in the way you say, "Other than the fact that its fast." ... Hate to say it, but that is a big FACT. If the Busa only had a top speed of 60 and took 20 seconds to get there, I am sure no one would have a problem with it, including the insurance companies that won't insure you.

wink.gif

Points well taken, well with all things considered, what would be a suitable learner bike for a person my size. Oh by the way, I'm 23 years old and pretty modest on the gas, unless I'm in a hurry. I priced the insurace for a 03' Busa through Progressive auto insurance, and my agent told me with my car and the bike it would be 160/6 months or 220/ year which i fugured was fairly reasonable.

welcome , well at 275 i would hope you would get a busa but beginner bike hmmmmmm...... its been discussed and everyone has there own opinions on it plus it has its own thread so no one reply here with a long and lengthy discussion on busa for first bike!!!!!!!
beerchug.gif
welcome to the board bruh

Hey Slim, welcome to the board!

First, that quote HAS TO BE for liability only and I'd get that in writing, cuz it sounds pretty low to me.

As for a beginner bike, like the others said, and as mentioned in the sticky thread in this area, I'd say you might want to consider something else if you dont have any experience.  I think there are a few guys here that have gone with a busa as their first bike....and if you take it easy, yeah you might be OK.  

The fact is that if its just you on the road then you can control things but the first time you get out in a group situation it all changes.  A group can even be you and one other person riding.  You know how it goes, "come on you are riding the fastest bike on the planet, can't you keep up?"  We've all heard it at least once, and we've all caved at least once and jumped on it when we probably shouldn't have.  Even the guys that tend to ride in the back of the pack tend to pick it up a bit from time to time in group settings and I've seen several times where new riders get outside of their skill range/confort zone and get into trouble.  I hope you dont experience that however there are only two kinds of riders, those that have wrecked and those that will wreck.  I'm in the "wrecked" category and fortunate enough to have walked away relatively unharmed (few broken bones). I'll tell you that no matter what I always ride with protective gear after that wreck, the only gear I had on was a helmet on when it happened.

To Cloud's point, yeah the GSXR1000 or ZX10 probably are even less forgiving than the busa, but the trick with a busa is that when you tell it to do something, it just does it, and figures you know what you are doing
wink.gif

For example, if you flick the throttle 1/2 open on a busa, it responds and very well could be out from under you quickly.  If you do the same thing on a stock Katana 750 it will take off, but much less likely to get away from you.  Likewise if you lean on the handlebars on a busa, gsxr1k or zx10 (counter steering) the bike will lay right on over, either changing lanes when you dont mean to or worst case, lowsiding the bike in a turn.
sad.gif
 Something like a Katana will not react nearly as agressively and allow you to realize whats going on before you get into too much trouble
wink.gif

Anyway, just 2c worth of free advice.

And for suggestions on what to get if not a busa

Suzuki
Katana 750
SV 650 or 1000

Kawasaki
ZZR600
ZZR1200

Honda
VFR800 (probably the smoothest bike going - V4 engine)

Harley Davidson
VROD  (yeah not really a sport bike but it will be my next bike to park beside my busa
smile.gif
)

wink.gif

welcome , well at 275 i would hope you would get a busa but beginner bike  hmmmmmm...... its been discussed and everyone has there own opinions on it plus it has its own thread so no one reply here with a long and lengthy discussion on busa for first bike!!!!!!!  
beerchug.gif
 welcome to the board bruh
Thanks Bro glad to be in the family, a red head step child but still in the famliy

I would choose a good sized ZZR bike. (replaced the old ZX bikes and has the sport/tour feel of the Busa.) The ZZR11 replaced the old 11D model. That is a fairly big bike, should fit you well, and it also should be PLENTY of power... (Could go a size smaller)

The comfort you feel I think it attributed to the sport/tour bike style and I would be looking for one of those if you like the Busa's feel.

Cloud

Points well taken, well with all things considered, what would be a suitable learner bike for a person my size. Oh by the way, I'm 23 years old and pretty modest on the gas, unless I'm in a hurry.  I priced the insurace for a 03' Busa through Progressive auto insurance, and my agent told me with my car and the bike it would be 160/6 months or 220/ year which i fugured was fairly reasonable.
holy poop....

i'm 21, and they want 2600 a year for full coverage on my SV 650 S at progressive...

sorry to go off subject, but what exactly makes the difference?

Points well taken, well with all things considered, what would be a suitable learner bike for a person my size. Oh by the way, I'm 23 years old and pretty modest on the gas, unless I'm in a hurry.  I priced the insurace for a 03' Busa through Progressive auto insurance, and my agent told me with my car and the bike it would be 160/6 months or 220/ year which i fugured was fairly reasonable.
holy poop....

i'm 21, and they want 2600 a year for full coverage on my SV 650 S at progressive...

sorry to go off subject, but what exactly makes the difference?
I honestly couldn't tell you why the quote was so low, but It's cheaper than that for my wife and she is 26. Beats me. I dont make the rules I just follow them.
laugh.gif

Insurance quote is wrong sorry to say.  Just had a friend that went through this whole ordeal.  Started looking at a Hyabusa etc.

I would recomend starting out with

Honda Interceptor ABS
http://powersports.honda.com/motorcy....FR800A4

Suzuki GSX 750

Please double check your quotes for insurance.  If it is correct great, get them to sign. Try a Busa if it feels right. It may be safeer for you based on your size, but INSURANCE

<!--EDIT|Ninja Eater
Reason for Edit: None given...|1083710310 -->

I have progressive for years. No tickets no accidents $860.00 for a full year not season. Your agent is on drugs.

Liberty Mutal $43 a month...

Your quotes are DEFINETLY wrong for progressive... They either have the wrong bike entered or they are just plain lying to you...

I have had progressive for years in the past and although they are cheaper then most, they are not $220 a year... maybe $2200 a year, that sounds about right.

As was said... make sure your insurance is good to go before you buy the bike... The bike isn't expensive, the insurance is.
Cloud

Lots of great advice already given.

Now my personal advice for a FIRST bike (for someone your size as I'd typically recommend a EX250 or EX500) would be to buy a USED medium sized bike like a Katana. The death factor odds will be quite a bit less over the Busa and when you do drop it you won't cry yourself to sleep at night over the damage done to a used $3K bike.
Buy all appropriate riding gear.
Take and MSF course.
Ride the Kano'tuna for two years and then build yourself up from there.

I believe the UK has the right idea where newbies are stuck with restricted low cc bikes for a certain amount of time before being allowed on larger bikes.

And if you think a new rider can just jump on a hyperbike with no problems, type in Hayabusa on Ebay's search engine. The amount of parts from wrecked bikes are mind boggling.

Now if you must have a brand new bike that fits you...(in addition to many of the great bikes already mentioned) check out the Beemers...since you're looking into a Busa you obviously have $$$ to play with and those bikes are in the same ball park.
All the Beemers I've ever sat on are WAY too big for me at 5'7". You'd probably be very comfortable on one as they seem to be aimed at people well over 6'. I also liked the Triumph ST but once again it's still a bit powerful for a newbie.

Oh and your insurance quote is WRONG!!!
wow.gif

Someone left a 0 off that quote.
Progressive is one of the highest priced companies you can go with. They quoted me almost $2K a year for full coverage.
I ended up going with State Farm at $349 a year 300/300/100, full coverage with 1000 deductible. I'm going on 34 and also have a car and my house insured with them to get that low of a price.

Maybe your quotes are right if you only applied for state minimum liability?

I agree that the ZZR is a great starter bike. My 1st bike was the ZZR600. I'm 6' and weigh 175 lbs. If the ZZR600 is too small, the ZZR1200 should be big enough. After a year, I bought a 04 Busa. I just got it less than 3 weeks ago and have less than 600 miles on it now. Just be gentle on throttle and NEVER DISRESPECT the power of the Busa and you'll be OK.
umnik.gif

guy_catching_air_on_a_four_wheeler_md_wht.gif

Honest to God truth, I went to my Progressive agent and asked him for a qoute for a 03' Busa, we sat there together and he showed me the quote for the amount I listed. I was blown away, but I'm guessing just like you all it must be the state min. for insurance. I didn't bother to ask because it was so cheap. It is a used bike so, I dont need full coverage, unless I finance and the bank requests it, but that's usually for new bikes. Just going by what he told me. I've been with them since '99 same agent. I'm in Louisiana, you'll may want to move to take advantage of this great deal
laugh.gif

Back