Busa V. ZX-12R - need educated opinions

ga1990

Registered
I'm sure this has been discussed a million times on this board...but either I'm stupid or there's no search button...or maybe both! Anyways, my buddy just bought an 01 ZX-12R. I'm looking for some opinions from people who have actually ridden (or even better owned) both. The size of these two bikes has always scared me...but i've never ridden one before...the ZX-12R doesn't seem that big now that I've been on his. I've been riding my R-6 for 4 years now and I just want something more comfortable. I rode a bandit 1200 thinking that would suite me better...it certainly was more comfortable, but it just didn't seem as fun as my R-6. My friend with the ZX-12r bought that for the same reason, it was alot more comfortable than his R-1. So I guess my main question is which bike is more comfortable. And is a busa still fun in the twisties? I'm not looking at Busa because it's the fastest bike out there...I want something that I can ride for 4-5 hours and not be completely sore, but I also want something that's as fun as my R-6 when I hit the backroads for an hour. Or do you have any other suggestions?

ga1990 - do not pay attention to my next sentence.....

** this is not a trash talk forum, real info please, nuf said. **

The busa is in my opinion by far the most comfortable bike. As far as fun in the twisties, I love it. It does take a lot more muscle to throw it around than your 6. I am completely satisfied that I made the right choice when I bought mine. Hope this helps.

I own a Busa, close friend owns a 12. In my opinion, the Busa is more comfortable, the 12 handles better. You got to ride them both to decide for yourself. 12's are cheaper, Busa's are easier to work on.
The search button does work, it's at the top of the screen, carefully hidden in plain view........ but you'll get a lot of bullsh!t mixed in with the opinions if you search the threads on this topic.

Have you ever noticed the 12 looks like every other typical sportsbike while the busa has a look all its own? If you have ridden any other sportsbike, the comfort of the 12 isn't too much different from that. The busa having an entirely different look, also has an entirely different feel. As to which is more comfortable, that is purely a matter of opinion. What you are trying to find out is which is more comfortable for you. The only way to find that out is by sitting on both yourself.

Sidenote:
The search link is at the very top of the page between the -Live Support- and -Hayabusa.org- banner. You'll see red, green, and blue lines flying around it.

Hey i have a vid where two professionall riders actually flogg the hell out of the 12 and busa and give unbiased opinions they actually rate the 12 more comfortable. If you pm me your email i can shoot it to yaa

I owned a 2004 zx12r and currently a 2005 Hayabusa. I put about 4500 miles on the 12, and 3000 miles on the busa.

I am 5'7" short. So the busa is worlds better for comfort and control whereas the zx12r sits much higher and the riding position is more aggressive (butt in the air).

The zx12r is just as fast as the busa so thats a wash.

The zx12r handles better in that it feels lighter and you dont even feel like it is under you.

The busa is heavier feeling, but carries its weight when moving, very well. The busa is the more stable machine at high speeds, and frankly ALL speeds. The zx12 has a bit of a shaky front end...and it feels like its going faster than it really is.

The busa feels like its going slower than it really is.

Busa is a better package as far as design and build. The zx12 is thrown together and cheap-ish.

The 12 makes more HP
the Busa makes more torque.

The 12 looks like a sportbike -so if you like that you will like it.
The 12 is definitely very comfortable considering it is a supertrain.

PILLIONS need NOT APPLY on the 12. The busa is better for passengers. You can get a corbin backrest for your passenger on the busa. There is no such item for the 12.

The busa is beauty in the eye of the beholder. I think it is a bit of a fat dumpling looking bike...but I also think the zx12 looks like it was put together in a junkyard, with way too much guts showing all over the place.

Busa for long high speed sweepers. The 12 for sharper more frequent cornering.

If you are tall...the 12. If you are short - the busa. Tall people do not look right on busas, because their long legs on the high pegs -put their knees too high.

The busa has a stock steering damper, and while some have said its useless, I completely disagree. I think the stock steering damper is more than adequate, and it allows me to let go completely of the bars at 130,mph and they track dead straight on.

I couldnt take my hands off the zx12 at 30mph without watching the birth of a tankslapper in the making.

I love my busa, and it is a better bike for me than the zx12r. While the zx12r is impressive, - the comfort factor points me to the busa.

There arent many people who can OUTRIDE the busa anyway. So unless you are some amazing track rider, you will be more than satisfied on the street with the busa.

I used to have a zx11 that I could really get hard on in the corners, - and the busa makes that bike seem like its a school bus.

i have a 03 12 and 05 busa,and i agree with much of the above,but not all

my additional comments,12 front brakes very good,rear brake poor,busa front brakes average,rear very good

I owned a 2004 zx12r and currently a 2005 Hayabusa.  I put about  4500 miles on the 12, and 3000 miles on the busa.

I am 5'7" short.  So the busa is worlds better for comfort and control whereas the zx12r sits much higher and the riding position is more aggressive (butt in the air).

The zx12r handles better in that it feels lighter and you dont even feel like it is under you.

The busa is heavier feeling, but carries its weight when moving, very well.  The busa is the more stable machine at high speeds, and frankly ALL speeds.  The zx12 has a bit of a shaky front end...and it feels like its going faster than it really is.

The busa feels like its going slower than it really is.

Busa is a better package as far as design and build.  The zx12 is thrown together and cheap-ish.

The 12 makes more HP
the Busa makes more torque.

The 12 looks like a sportbike -so if you like that you will like it.
The 12 is definitely very comfortable considering it is a supertrain.

PILLIONS need NOT APPLY on the 12.  The busa is better for passengers.  You can get a corbin backrest for your passenger on the busa.  There is no such item for the 12.

The busa is beauty in the eye of the beholder.  I think it is a bit of a fat dumpling looking bike...but I also think the zx12 looks like it was put together in a junkyard, with way too much guts showing all over the place.  

Busa for long high speed sweepers.  The 12 for sharper more frequent cornering.

If you are tall...the 12.  If you are short - the busa.  Tall people do not look right on busas, because their long legs on the high pegs -put their knees too high.

The busa has a stock steering damper, and while some have said its useless, I completely disagree.  I think the stock steering damper is more than adequate, and it allows me to let go completely of the bars at 130,mph and they track dead straight on.

I couldnt take my hands off the zx12 at 30mph without watching the birth of a tankslapper in the making.  

I love my busa, and it is a better bike for me than the zx12r.  While the zx12r is impressive, - the comfort factor points me to the busa.

There arent many people who can OUTRIDE the busa anyway.  So unless you are some amazing track rider, you will be more than satisfied on the street with the busa.

I used to have a zx11 that I could really get hard on in the corners, - and the busa makes that bike seem like its a school bus.
WELL SAID HAYAVEGAS!!! Im only 6ft but 230lbs so the Busa fits me well. I like the twisties but touring and riding the hell out of it is more my thing. I don't stunt (except for the occasional wheelie) so the Busa was a better pick for me.

This horse has been dead so long its bones are turning to dust...

Bottom line - Go to each dealership (it'd be cool if there's a Kawi/Zook dealer near you) and sit on each bike, in riding position or as best you can (one foot down obviously) for 15 minutes without sitting upright. You'll more than likely come to a preference rather quickly. That's the bike to buy. Whichever it is, it'll be as fast, as quick and realistically handle as well as the other.

I've not ridden long distance on a Busa so one question someone else will have to answer is which bike is more buzzy. The 12r is really quite smooth, engine wise, and you'd be surprised how much fatigue can be caused over time by the high-frequency vibration of an inline 4.

Thanks alot for all the opinions.  I am a short guy, 5'8 and a little guy at 145lbs.  Carrying a passenger is also a concern for me as my wife doesn't care for riding on the back of my 6 that much and I would like to make it more comfortable for her as well.  Like I said, my buddy just bought a 12r...he's about the same size as me and can barely touch the ground with his toes, so he's going to have to lower it.  I'm going to try and log some time on his bike and see how I like it...I'm also going to try and find a busa for sale locally and see if I can get a test ride.  So does no one have any other bikes they would recommend?

Like I said, my buddy just bought a 12r...he's about the same size as me and can barely touch the ground with his toes, so he's going to have to lower it.
Please tell your friend to be very careful in lowering his 12r as they're a bit sensitive. Tell him to lower it evenly or he could inadvertently create a tankslapping monster...

or a parts bike.....
laugh.gif

owned a 00 ZX-12 ... I'm 6'4" ... now have 2 busas

Hayavegas' answer IS PERFECT ... I could not say it any better

No its not. The Busa is faster.
mad.gif

Bottom line - Go to each dealership (it'd be cool if there's a Kawi/Zook dealer near you) and sit on each bike, in riding position or as best you can (one foot down obviously) for 15 minutes without sitting upright.  You'll more than likely come to a preference rather quickly.  That's the bike to buy.  Whichever it is, it'll be as fast, as quick and realistically handle as well as the other.
Not true!!! The Busa is better at everything!!!
cussing.gif

smile.gif

Back