Is the ZX-12R really that different from the Busa?

The 1st year 12R sucked. It did not live up to the hype. It came out not able to back up it's "busa-killer" hype and it was unfinished (kaw rushed it out). Does anyone remember the 1957 chevy mirrors on it??? Also, what the hell was up with those damn little winglets on the side fairings??? Plain butt ugly and a under performer.

Fast forward just a few scant years later and Kawi has done it right (I thought they got rid of the snorkel this year?). It's a more finished product. The all-black is just beautiful. They have tweaked the engine (still a pit peaky though). As mentioned above, PITA to work on due to the frame and engine relationship. It fit's me better than the busa but it's styling leaves me uninspired. Overall, a great machine. Basically comes down to what the rider wants from his machine.

My 2 cents which led me to purchasing the 05 Hayabusa .

My Wife said if I bought the 12R ... I'd be riding alone cause she would not ride back there on the second story of the bike
biggrin.gif

The Busa is comfy , rock solid stable and with dialed in front forks it can be ran pretty dang hard through the twisties with plenty of power to step the rear wheel out . Cruise range ? The Hayabusa has lots of it !

The Busa is just what it is ... a living legend and you can't go wrong buying them and if you decide to sell  , they certainly have great used market value so you don't go wrong there either .

At 48 years old I took into consideration after owning 80+ bikes that my 2005 just mightbe the last new sport tourer I will buy and if so , 10 years down the road I cannot see myself and Wifey on a ZX12R . Nice bikes but not a Hayabusa and the 12R seems like a heavy 9R to me along with less comfort than the 9R . I don't know what that means but it got typed
biggrin.gif

It just seems the Hayabusa is in it's own class now that the XX is no longer made and that the 12r never really fit into the category those two bikes are in .

biggrin.gif

Also, what the hell was up with those damn little winglets on the side fairings???  
Was?? They're still current. Their purpose is to try to separate the lower -vs- upper airstream to keep a clean air flow over the bike.

Fast forward just a few scant years later and Kawi has done it right (I thought they got rid of the snorkel this year?).[/QUOTE]

That was '02.

They have tweaked the engine (still a pit peaky though).[/QUOTE]

Actually, they added weight to the crank for the '02 model year because the early bikes were considered to be too instant. And they added subthrottles in '04. Not exactly what you'd call radical upgrades...

As mentioned above, PITA to work on due to the frame and engine relationship.[/QUOTE]

Amen Brutha.

Although pulling all the KleenAir crap off of the top of the engine cleans it up some. And most savvy 12r riders will leave the top bolt out of the battery box cover so that you don't have to pull the 'tank' to pull the battery (the 'tank' inhibits the access to the top bolt).

Steve

Back