Is the ZX-12R really that different from the Busa?

BentValve

Alive & enjoying it!
Donating Member
Registered
I love my Busa and feel I made the correct choice in bikes given the type of riding I do the most....however I cannot stop thinking about the brand spanking new Green 03' ZX-12R that I could have had for $8999 ..possibly even $8500 +TT&L.

I suppose just the fact that the dealer still has an 03' has to say something...but still.
smile.gif

I wish I could afford to just buy it and try it out.
smile.gif

How is the ZX-12R different and/or inferior to the Busa?

smile.gif

The 12 is a great bike. Im some ways better than te busa , in other ways not. The busa has much better resale and its "the busa". thats whay i bought it. I found tons of smoking deals on 12s. They have terrible resale. sj

I have a friend who rides a 12r.  I call him, "nemesis"  
biggrin.gif

The bikes are just about equal.  It has more to do with the rider.

The 12r has a shorter wheelbase, so easier to wheelie and corner.
The busa is longer, easier to launch.

And most will agree the busa is faster at the very top end.  Probably because of 100cc more engine and better aero.

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1112584026 -->

The bikes are just about equal. It has more to do with the rider.

The 12r has a shorter wheelbase, so easier to wheelie and corner.
The busa is longer, easier to launch.

And most will agree the busa is faster at the very top end. Probably because of 100cc more engine and better aero [/QUOTE]

Very true...
smile.gif

The 12 is very nice, when set up right it handles great and is very predictable. It is much inproved from 03 up. Torquey in the the turns though, just gotta watch it. And I dont like the seat cant slip side to side very easy. It would be in my stable if i could afford multi bikes.

i have a 03 zx12 and a 05 busa,love them both,the busa just pulls from any rpm(torque)and the 12 hits like a sledgehammer above 8k,the 12 stops and turns a bit better,lines and ebc hh pads are a big improvement on the busa,both are pretty comfy,the ride is a little more plush on the busa,they both make me smile

Looked at it when I first thought of getting another bike and the look of the Busa is what pushed me that way. I think what others have said about the performance of both is on par. Obviously, I went with the Busa and have never looked back.

When I compared the 2 the Busa was the one that didn't have Camaro SS mirrors.
biggrin.gif
Also the fact that everyone I knew was saying how ugly the Busa was just made me want to get it more.

I have a friend that just bought a 12 but when we park our bikes everyone looks at the busa , is a magnet.( the busa is a BUSA the 12 looks like any other bike).

i have a 03 zx12 and a 05 busa,love them both,the busa just pulls from any rpm(torque)and the 12 hits like a sledgehammer above 8k,the 12 stops and turns a bit better,lines and ebc hh pads are a big improvement on the busa,both are pretty comfy,the ride is a little more plush on the busa,they both make me smile
So if you had to get rid of one then which would it be?

Would you say the 12R is more "supersport like" in that it does not pull too hard until the revs are way up there?
Frankly now that ive had time to stew it over , I dont think id want this characteristic in a bike that weighs almost 500lbs dry.

I have looked at some torque curves and compared the 12R to the Busa (see sig) and the 12R does look less smooth but both hit their HP max around 10K ...the Busa hits it lower.

The Busa cleans house though if you compare the two's torque curves...while torque may not translate to performance , it does translate to smiles on my face. This was a major factor in why I chose the Busa.
The Busa pulls an extra 10-20ft lbs pretty much anywhere going by the charts I looked at which may or may not be totally accurate.

I guess after thinking it over , the 12R just does not make sence....its a little heavy to have an over 12:1 compresssion ratio SS type engine IMO.

If I come into some cash and can afford another bike its probably going to be an 05' GSX-R1000.

Have you considered replacing the 12R with one of the newer, more untame SS liter bikes like the 10R or GSX-R1000?

Man...didn't realize just how lackluster the big Kwak truely is as compared to the Busa till I see'em parked side-by-side like that...

The Big Kwak has a ram-air intake that looks like it was the works of the design team at Hoover and the fairing is about as bland as they get....lack of bracing on the swingarm speaks volumes as well...I guess Kaws design team engineers put a lot of faith in that 79cent "NINJA" sticker...then they MSRP it at $11,299
rock.gif
....$300 more than the Busa???....with 101 less cc's???.....while the dealers are slashing prices down as low as $8,499
rock.gif
...I paid $8,750 for my '03 used Busa with a scant 1,600 miles on the odo....and judging from what I see???...I gotta Deal!!!!
laugh.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

rock.gif

There are several differences: ergonomics, looks, power delivery being the biggest 3 IMO. Busa feels bigger, looks are up to you, 12's power delivery is more peaky.(That b!tch comes on STRONG up top) Performance is so close you can't tell the difference, my best friend has a 2001 (unrestricted, we can't figure out why, but not complaining!!) 12 he prefers it, I prefer my Busa. I say Kaw dropped the ball by not giving it a name, Ninja covers everything from 250's on up.....All in all, the 12 is an excellent bike, just depends on what you like better.

I did alittle research before buying my Busa. I work on my bike and found that overall the ZX12 is a PITA to work on, even a battery swap is a big deal with these bikes as you have to remove a buttload of crap to get to it. Turbo kits, due to the airbox being a structural part of the bike and the turbo companies having to invest alot of R&R to make it work, it adds to the turbo costs by almost $4K. The power curve on the 12 is peaky, the Busa is more linear with it's power delivery. The aftermarket definitely favors the Busa over the 12, while parts are available for the Ninja, they're not as well priced.

Finally looks, IMO the Busa wins this hands down. The 12R is a nice bike and i dig the all black 05' version, but the things i mentioned above helped me decide on the Busa.:D

<!--EDIT|GMbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1112764154 -->

The 12r gets crap for mileage - high twenties to low thirties is the best one can hope for. And working around the frame can be a pain in the ass...

And if you want a turbo bike, forget the 12r. Simply not practical.

Steve

yes i would say the 12 is a little more super sport like,but just a little,a good rider on a busa will be faster through the twistys then a average rider on a 12,the only time (for me) that the 12 shows any advantage is when pushing very hard,something you just cant do very often,as your liscense will be in great jeopardy,i find the busa easy to ride at any pace,i am no road racer,so i am the limiting factor not the bike,the few times that i really pushed the 12,i was thankful that i made it home in one peice,the speeds that these bikes are capable of in sweepers is extaoridinary,as for which bike i would sell,i hope it never comes to that

Back