Kawasaki ZX-12R

my buddy has one says it is way to twitchy in the front end needs a dampener and to move the engine a few inches forward to help balance that unicycle out
Yes, the '03 and newer bikes are said to be prone to tank slappers under the right conditions.  I didn't experience any, but then I'm not a super aggressive rider.  Those who have experienced them on the newer bikes say a steering damper eliminates the problem.  

The geometry that tends to induce tank slappers is the same geometry that makes the 12r handle so well - a trade off I guess...

Steve

<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>OK LET'S NOT KEEP THE POST WARS GOING HERE  WE WILL KEEP AN EYE ON WHAT IS RIGHT OR GOOD.</span></span>

Disclaimer:  This post is offered pending the approval of Kevin Kesler, arbiter of all that is right and good.
laugh.gif
 about three weeks have passed and I missed this one. This is great.

<!--EDIT|Kevin Kesler
Reason for Edit: None given...|1102561070 -->

My Busa Is Black...  It's Comfy, and it's fast.  It's low and quick.  It's Cool.  
thumbs-up.gif
Absolutely.  I think the most gorgeous Busas are the '02 American LE and the '03 Canadian LE - both a beautiful black.  

I'm definitely not a fan of Suzuki's general paint schemes on the Busa - other than the LE - or what they've chosen to do with the stickers this year.  
sad.gif

What's really cheesing my fry is that Suzuki won't be releasing the LE until May while there's a gorgeous black ZX-12r not 20 miles from me, calling out my name, invading my dreams...
drooling3.gif

The bike that's here is almost always better than the bike that's not.

I have seen and heard that the Kawi is faster... I have seen and heard the 12R is faster...  

Okay, okay, you have me convinced...  
wink.gif
laugh.gif

There is a better aftermarket for the Busa...  Lots and Lots of parts, kits, etc. [/QUOTE]

Yeah, like NE said, the Busa is certainly the best choice when heavy performance modding comes into play.  Once the turbos come out the game is over.

...[clip]... but if Honda gets it right in 06 and comes through with the Blackbird and a V-5
rock.gif
 Things could get interesting. [/QUOTE]

As you've said elsewhere, I just can't see Honda sitting on their thumbs for much longer.  They really need to build that bike.

Steve[/QUOTE]
HE he.... I have seen and heard that the Kawi is faster... I have seen and heard the 12R is faster... [/QUOTE]

Okay, okay, you have me convinced...
wink.gif
laugh.gif
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you got me there, I goofed.
thumbs-up.gif

wink.gif

laugh.gif

thumbs-up.gif

I see that my old thread has resurfaced. For those who do not know the bike I chose, see attached:

Decemberphotos013.jpg

and

Picture002.jpg

I do not regret my choice at all whatsoever!!!
race.gif

Ideally I'd love to have a Busa & a 12, but I'll honestly probably stick with the Busa.  I'm not entirely sure the 12 can take 22,000 miles in  1 1/2 years.  
Are you sure?
rock.gif

I have a friend with a 12R that has 43.750 miles...without any problem...

<!--EDIT|Rycardo
Reason for Edit: None given...|1107113098 -->

I have never owned or ridden a 12r but I have owned several Kawasakis over the years. They build a wonderful motorcycle.

The trouble I have had with them here in Canada is parts. Everything has to come from Toronto. So if you live on the west coast like I do ... you wait and pay big bucks for shipping if you need it fast.

Try and find parts for older Kawasakis. I've had trouble. At least Honda and Suzuki have parts availability. Yamaha was'nt too shabby either for parts.

good thread,and i agree with much of what has been said,
i have a 03 12 and 05 busa,couldnt agree more with the
''box of rocks'' till 5 k comment,shifts real nice now,both have
great motors,the 12 with the ''big punch'' on top,and the busa
that just''keeps pulling'' the 12 stops and turns better(get rid
of the oem tires put a 180 or 190 on)the busa is no slouch,
just a bit softer, longer, and more stable,i took all the'' tape
off both bikes(a few months ago,someone asked me if my 12
was a honda lol) and my busa is all black now,very happy with
both of them,especially after a few mods on each

i owned a 2000 zx9r and a buddy of mine has a 2004 zx12r when i rode his it did not feel much faster than my 9r it was faster but not by much i had never ridden a busa i just knew i wanted one. well a few days ago that came true for me i got my busa well i can tell you after riding mine there is no way my buddies zx12 can beat the busa no way. the busa is so fricken fast its scary. i cant even completly gun it in first cause it just shreds the tire instead of moving forward in second it will do the same thing but at a higher rpm which is more scarey cause im going alot faster when it does it. i cant wait till it warms up and i can really see what it does with warm streets and a hot tire. gotta love the busa.

The 12R is a nice looking bike....
smile.gif
Definetly would have bought it as my 2 or 3 bike if i had the dough
biggrin.gif

But, THE BUSA IS STILL THE KING
cool.gif

I hate to admitt it now but when I first walked into the bike dealership that day I was looking for a 12 . BUT.. what was the first thing I saw when I walked thru the door ? A Blue/Silver 2004 Hayabusa ....DAMNN Love at first sight . I'm 6'5 and I wanted something to fit me . The 12 sat a lot higher in the rear and seemed to have more leg room but the Busa just demanded more attention it looked like it was going 200 mph just sitting there. I guess you know the outcome cause I'm on this board and not the Kawi .
Which reminds me of an old commerical but I'll insert the Busa in it instead of a car. A guy comes out of a corner store and there is a traffic cop standing by his Hayabusa writting a ticket . He looks at the meter and there is still time on it. He asks the cop , Whats the ticket for ? The cop says speeding and hands him the ticket . The guy flashes back thru all the high speed runs and twisties that week and just takes the ticket and says , Oh .

I think it is which ever fits you best. My brother has a "01" busa and it is a great bike I really like it , I personally have a "00" 12 because it fit me better. As far as the busa being faster, it is from the factory but not by much it is only a 2-4mph difference. On the street is all about the rider. I am 20 pounds lighter than my brother, he pulls me up until about 150 then I can pull him by about 3 bike lenths and he never catches me. It is all about what a person prefers. As far as a zx9r feeling as fast as a 12, obviously your bike is sick or not running right.

Nice choice, gtrpimp76. There must have been a bunch of posts all at once and I didn't see the pics. Have fun!

I have never ridden a 12 so I can not comment on that. I do like the looks of the busa better, way better.

Aughtsix, even though I really... really do love the busa' and never ever want to agree 12r is a better bike
tounge.gif
...You still make sense in what you say! Completely agree with it....
blush.gif

Good luck with your decision. I don't think you could go wrong with either as they're both great rides. I chose the Busa as its power band, along with being unbelievable, is also consistent, meaning it's available in any gear at any rpm. It's a little heavier and maybe has less of a sportbike footprint but that's ok. The torque and beauty of the machine is what sold me, along with the power!

FYI...

We have both a suzuki dealer and a Kawa dealer here in Lynchburg Va. After looking over both bikes (busa and 12r) I had to go with the busa. I'm 6'5" 260lbs with a size 16 shoe, so size was a big issue. And although the 12r sat a little higher, I felt alot more pressure on my wrists from the downward lean. The busa is more stretched out which helps alot.

Oh, and one more thing, my 05 blue and silver was the 4th 05 sold at the Suzuki dealer. And the Kawa dealer had a brand new 03 which he's had well from 2003. That might tell ya something.

Any thoughts on differences regarding around town, slow speed engine smoothness or on cool weather starting and warm up?

Well I just sold my busa and mentally I never buy another ANYTHING of the same thing. I will probably buy the 05 12 in 06 and give her a whirl. This time I promise just to ride her as is, so i don't take a bath on all the accessories if i dont keep her. I love the Busa, but its time for me to try another brand. I started 10 years ago on a Katana 600, then moved to a GSXR 1100 then A BUsa. Unless the Zooks come out with another ebast like the BUSA I want to see what the other bikes are like to own. I will always be a zook fan, but I love the looks iof the 05 12r that bike is SICK!!!! I found my riding habits consist soley of speeding on highways with my friends. SOmetims i won sometimes i lost, but it was just fun riding. When I get my finances right I will have fun on whatever I like. Thats the American way!!!
laugh.gif
Freedom of choice baby!!!

Back