Kawasaki ZX-14 crash (Highside? Lowside?)

Looking at the photos his knee hits the deck at the same time his bike does, so clearly isn't hanging off the bike enough. The purpose of hanging off the bike to quote Keith Code "Is to keep the bike further up right, and use the knee and body as a gauge as to how far over the bike is in the turn." Riders like Fast Freddie and Barry Sheen rode like this guy in that they rode closer to the bike. However the head was
Down looking through the corner not crossed up like this guy. Bottom half down, top half up is sending mixed signals to both him and the bike. He more than likely rides like that all the time, pushing the bike down to the deck rather than getting down there first and pulling it around the corner.

His tires couldn't help him even if he had racing slicks on that were up to temp either, once the front fairing started scraping along with his knee it was game over.

I dont know much about riding skills but it did look like to me he was out of position on the bike.

That poor bloke was way over his head on touring tires which appear to be Pilot Roads. Tires do make a difference. However, it was a combination of bad decisions and lack of ability that got him in trouble.

Good series of photos. Do those belong to Kameraman?

Riding crossed up will do that. Just hanging your rear end out isn't going to cut it.

Ewww that's a nasty high side there, looks like he chopped the throttle when it started sliding, and it got traction again and pitched him off. Do to his weight (that's a big boy you got there :laugh:) it couldn't throw him as far as it wanted to! That or he wasn' going really fast. Looks as if he was trying to save it, as he is still leaning/ hanging off the bike for as long as he could. :whistle:

Glad he's OK, cause now we can make fun of his attempt at flying without his machine!

Happens to the elite riders of the world, mere mortals are no match when the dreaded high/low side monster overcomes your skill/bravery quotient! :banghead:

I haven't had that happen to me in the last 28 years of riding :please: yet, but then again I have virgin sliders on my new one piece racing suit sliders! ??? As I said before the big girl simply hooks the corner faster and faster instead of letting me get that touchdown!:banghead: fast as hell in the twisty parts, but I can scrape on a 1000:easy: just not big bird!:boohoo::1zhelp:

Well, at least big boy will have a story to tell! "I was doing like a million, billion miles an hour running from cops from 53 States, when an old lady ran out in front of me with a train of baby carriages!:drama: so I'm like :wtf: and I cracked it over on the side and missed them but a gravel truck over turned looking at my awesomeness, :bowdown: and spilled it's load all over the road! So I'm like:please: let me kick it side ways but one baby was like a ninja and flipped out in the street, so I had to chop the throttle and did a highside flip over the kid, nearly cutting his head off and I crashed!:rofl: cops said it was so awesome the asked for my autograph and let me go!:rofl: I am so blessed :thumbsup: it really happened it was on the news! For real!"

I didn't comment on this because the question was low side or high side... Obviously a lowside but if we are deconstructing - my two cents - It appears to me the bike was leaned far enough over with poor body and leg position that he got his lower leg caught up under the bike. To make that lean angle work the knee,calf,ankle and foot should start to align /retract in with the frame of the bike/ fairing and his head should be out over the right edge of the wind screen over the accerator to keep the bike as upright in the corner as possible... ZX 14's simple don't have the same potential lean angle clearance of most Race Replicas.

A la Casey Stoner -

071811_motogp_cornering_at_1000_fps_t.jpg

Back