Target Fixation

Twobrothersbusa

Team Gixxer Racing; IDMBT #1
Donating Member
Registered
Skydivr and I spent the last weekend chasing around the beautiful Barber Motorsports Racetrack and I wanted to share in pics a tale told by many instructors. Here is Keith riding turn 2 - 3 at Barber watching the guy go down in front of him. Keith had the wits enough to realize what was happening and stop focusing on the crash and stay on track. If you look, you can see him aiming directly for the bike going off track then turning back on race line. This is the stuff we learn on the track....good job Skydivr! :beerchug:

Just click through the next button photos and follow Keith splitting a bike and a fallen rider...

PhotoReflect - Xtreme Sports Photography - STT - Barber March 12th & 13th, 2011

My 1st track day at Grattan Michigan, the guy in front of me went down on a left hand, off camber, blind corner. Instantly, the guy behind me went down also with his bike passing me on the side I needed to go to attempting to avoid the guy in front of me. Fortunately, there was a pit lane directly in front of me which I took. Had I tried to stay on the track, me and my Busa would have been toast.

Just curious?...Do you feel you are a better rider for the experience? You went through something that would be an extreme experience on a normal road...?

My 1st track day at Grattan Michigan, the guy in front of me went down on a left hand, off camber, blind corner. Instantly, the guy behind me went down also with his bike passing me on the side I needed to go to attempting to avoid the guy in front of me. Fortunately, there was a pit lane directly in front of me which I took. Had I tried to stay on the track, me and my Busa would have been toast.

Yeah you can see him in pic 2702 looking and heading right for it.
By 2704 he's woke up and back on.

Just curious?...Do you feel you are a better rider for the experience? You went through something that would be an extreme experience on a normal road...?
I forgot to add that the rider behind me fixated on the guy wrecking in front of me. I was more pissed than scared after it was over as I didn't want to rash up my new bike. It did teach me about target fixation though and has helped me avoid other close calls.

FUNNY - Charlie I posted up a thread on exact same topic right about the time you did; I had a mod delete it wasn't any sense in having two of them :laugh:

Go back one pic and you'll see the rider that crashed is looking dead into the camera and now where he is going...

I can say to all reading this: a) you DO go where you are looking and b) you CAN talk yourself out of it and correct before crashing.

It is also true that you go where you look. My 1st track day at Hallett, I passed a guy on the straight and came in to the left hand turn way too hot. It was too late to grab more brake so I said to myself...you go where you look. I was ON the white line at the outside edge of the corner all the way through. I about shiat myself. My buddy that I passed said he was think Oh sht, oh sht, oh sht, the entire time. I know I was lucky but I can honestly say that it is a true statement and is taught by every instructor I have listened to.

:thumbsup:

I couldn't click the pics fast enough to get him off the track before another bike came:laugh:

Had this happen a few times... The experience does make more alert and does help you realize what you shouldnt be doing quicker. My first experience of this was at V.I.R north course straight away coming into turn one after 2 warm up laps. I am setting up for the turn and the guy behind me late brakes and passes me. I realize our tires arent ready for this, but he passes me and then lowside... I was stunned for a second as I watched this unfold... Realized I was starting to follow him.... I was yelling in my helmet look away and ride your ride! I took turn 1 deeper then I liked but it woke me up to pay more attention and ride my bike... my line... And look pass every rider I follow! Stop looking at there tail light!

Tim, so you know the feeling, huh...

Don't you tape up your tail lights at your track days?

Glad you had the clarity of mind to take the proper course of action. I've had it happen a few times to me also and luckily I've been able to stay focused.

Back