24 volt Conversion, BEST Mod EVER!!

M3Busa

Registered
This is the single GREATEST change i have made to my '07. The 24 volt start conversion!

I had an "intermittent will not start (consistently)" issue; i changed everything in the starting system with limited success.

the 24 volt start conversion was simple, free (other than another battery) and FANTASTIC!

She starts like a Ferrari now (i don't know how that sounds, just heard it on TV)

Simply amazing difference. Still have my Tool Kit!!!!!!

8328706488_d73e6b9c0b_b.jpg
DSC_9808 by Wt_Wallace, on Flickr

8328704416_109ed6b174_b.jpg
DSC_9810 by Wt_Wallace, on Flickr

Never heard of anyone doing this mod unless they are running a big stroker or supercharged motor

Is it OK to leave a battery laying on its side unless its an AGM :dunno:

Have you replaced the - and + cables in your past trouble shooting starting problem

A big waste there, for a 24 volt sysyem the is no need for that large of a second battery!
All you need is at the largest is a YTX4lbs!

A big waste there, for a 24 volt sysyem the is no need for that large of a second battery!
All you need is at the largest is a YTX4lbs!

Ummm define waist? So, for me waist is having a perfectly good full size battery laying around and going to go buy a YTX, just because the "Internet" said so. We must think before we type.

And saving 4 lbs on a 500lb bike, ha what a joke.

Seeing a liquid cell battery lying on its stide makes me cringe...

If its leaks you are concerned about, it will be fine.

If its charging you are concerned about; as long as all lead is covered with water/acid, they will be fine. They are, so it's fine.

You did not make this an original , nor did you make it better!

Your bike has a problem. All you did was over-ride the problem. Whatever the issue was/is did not go away with the addition of a second battery.

My question would be "How do you cover all the plates in acid with the battery on it's side"? :dunno:

I've never seen or heard tell of anyone mounting a liquid battery on it's side? Maybe you are breaking new ground?

Your bike has a problem. All you did was over-ride the problem. Whatever the issue was/is did not go away with the addition of a second battery.

My question would be "How do you cover all the plates in acid with the battery on it's side"? :dunno:

I've never seen or heard tell of anyone mounting a liquid battery on it's side? Maybe you are breaking new ground?

wow, great post. This was a simple post for what i did, no harm no foul. but again, the "internet guys" are on the attack.

as for the battery. If you have a sealed object, that is completely full of a liquid; is it any less full when its on its side?

I think im going to go back to riding my bikes, instead of sitting here talking about the theory or riding them.

Thanks to all the guys posts i read in the archives that had this problem and overcame it, that information was super helpful.

Happy New Year

If you have a sealed object, that is completely full of a liquid; is it any less full when its on its side?

This is where there is a flaw in your logic. Sealed lead acid batteries are not completly full. When standing upright, there is about a 1/4" at the top where there are not plates and a space for air and gasses to collect before they pass out of the vent. Otherwise, acid would be passing out of the vent as the battery is being charged. laying the battery on its side exposes a small amount of the plates to air.

I do like your creativity and, although I agree with Tuf that you are masking another issue, at least you solved your problem for the time being. Using a lithium-iron battery would be a better choice if you are going to lay it on its side. They are also smaller and lighter.

No attack here I think these guys are worried that your solution might cause you more issues. They are just a little more enthusiastic in their approach sometimes hehe

Now from my experience. I went through all the same stuff you did and also have a few batteries around the garage as a result. Still had issues. I tried tracking down voltage across various wires but no luck in finding the bad point. Finally took it to the dealer and they found a bad ground wire off the starter button. Not saying thats your issue but did you check all the wires?

Don't listen to GixerHp. He doesn't know much at all. Internet tough guy he is.

Tuffs an old grouch too!

:hide:

Nice thought...I hope it works out for you but I have to agree...Mounting that batt on its side is not a good idea.

wow, great post. This was a simple post for what i did, no harm no foul. but again, the "internet guys" are on the attack.

as for the battery. If you have a sealed object, that is completely full of a liquid; is it any less full when its on its side?

I think im going to go back to riding my bikes, instead of sitting here talking about the theory or riding them.

Thanks to all the guys posts i read in the archives that had this problem and overcame it, that information was super helpful.

Happy New Year

You are correct! You should stick to riding your bike as mechanical issues don't seem to be your forte? There is a reason why liquid filled batteries are not void of air. Maybe you should research that aspect before criticizing folks who disagree with your attempt to jury rig an obvious issue with your machine.

Because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they are attacking you. Posting up some backyard jury riggin and expecting praise for your mechanical skills is not a wise thing for a man that can't take criticism. :dunno:

Please, link us to a thread in the archives where you got the idea of mounting a liquid battery on it's side.

Beta testing is required in order to get to a final product, but playing with a hazardous liquid requires a little more QC.

I like your idea of a 2 battery system, because I have to replace my battery every 2 years, (because I'm a daily driver). Keep testing and let us know if things go good, or bad. :thumbsup:

Well I will admit that I have had a small battery for my 24v starter system for years now without any problems. Not saying it can't happen but as of today(knock on wood) I can say there hasn't been a problem. But we learn as we go. Maybe I'll try to stand it up back there.

Back