ZX-12R edging busas out yet?

The 12 is a far better deal if you are just planning basic bolt-ons. You can pick one up for far less than you can a Busa. I'm glad you guys have both commented at length and honestly about the bikes, they are so close in performance, it comes down to rider. The only downfall the 12 has, IMO, is that the design makes it very difficult to work on. Other than that it's all about which one works best for the individual.

Excellent comparo Brakelate! And welcome! You are so far from an enemie, we're baking apple pie for you right now.
biggrin.gif
I like the 12 and almost bought one. Busa shape and seating position won me over. Like most others here, I love all bikes too and was curious if KAW had edged out the bus from all the spotlights yet. I think it would be a fair race only if KAW made a ZX-13R instead ;) Both great bikes anywho.

I love your silver sleek look! I've never seen a silver 12 before. Post up anytime here - long posts are accepted too! ever take your 12 to a road race track? I take my busa but it's a pig. I imagine the 12 handles a LIL better at a track - but both are pigs compared to light weight 600's everybody else runs

Here is a repost of my composit time slips of the ZX on the left and the Busa on the right. Separate runs in about the same 5000' DA. The ZX clearly has more oats at the strip on the top end and this shows on the streets and the freeway as long as the ZX rider is ready. I prefer the endless torque of the Busa for real world riding but I am an feeble elderly gent who has to be assisted to his motorcycle and Brakelate is a younger braver person who is a much much more skilled rider than I am. For an agressive rider, the newer ZX-12R seems to be the superior bike.

Everything you ever wanted to know about the ZX12R and Hayabusa from 2000-2005.... .right here for your viewing pleasure.

http://www.angelfire.com/linux/ldrpg

Almost every single mag around the world that has done a test between the two in not only speed and acceleration, but lap times, braking, and handling.

Enjoy.

so tell me why this looks doctored up??

post-6-07395-osit.jpg
It is a composit slip, as stated. A run by the Kawasaki on the left and a separate run by the Suzuki on the right, at different times but under about the same conditions. I resized, cut and pasted them and put them together into one slip for comparison purposes. They are both real runs and the entire single slips are available. The data was not touched, but, I made them line up as best as I could so they shou;d look retouched. There was never any effort to say that they were the same run.
I just thought that it was interesting how closely they both ran under similar circumstances.

That would explain it.... thanks for clearing that up.

He's definately making more power than you.. but not much believe it or not. It's the weight difference.

20 pounds = 1mph

notice how your 60' , 330', and 1/8th are almost identical in ET (with you being slightly quicker)?

Then look at his 1/8th MPH... 1.4mph faster. Then look at his 1/4 trap speed...that same 1.4mph advantage.

That little extra bit of weight is what's making him accelerate faster than you... resulting in lower ET's. Not so much the bike.

Judging by the fact that the bike itself equates to the remaining 0.4mph... I'm guessing he's only got 3-4rwhp more than you on the dyno.

At your weight... you're going to need an extra 5-6rwhp to make up for that 1mph... and another 3-4rwhp to match his bike's 0.4mph advantage.

That's roughly 8-10rwhp you'll need to beat him consistantly. I'd look into a set of Yosh cams my friend!

I agree.... but I don't know what he will be able to do to fix them!
laugh.gif

Read all the posts in the thread before you start munching you're panties!
wink.gif

That would explain it.... thanks for clearing that up.

He's definately making more power than you.. but not much believe it or not. It's the weight difference.

20 pounds = 1mph

notice how your 60' , 330', and 1/8th are almost identical in ET (with you being slightly quicker)?

Then look at his 1/8th MPH... 1.4mph faster. Then look at his 1/4 trap speed...that same 1.4mph advantage.

That little extra bit of weight is what's making him accelerate faster than you... resulting in lower ET's. Not so much the bike.

Judging by the fact that the bike itself equates to the remaining 0.4mph... I'm guessing he's only got 3-4rwhp more than you on the dyno.

At your weight... you're going to need an extra 5-6rwhp to make up for that 1mph... and another 3-4rwhp to match his bike's 0.4mph advantage.

That's roughly 8-10rwhp you'll need to beat him consistantly. I'd look into a set of Yosh cams my friend!
With us on our bikes he is at 760 lbs and I am at 787 pounds. So 27 pounds difference. But, he does have 100 cc's less displacement and apparently some more HP. I intend to out ride him to beat him basically stock for stock. I practice more than he does, so I should prevail. I am not anxious to get into the engine of my new Busa. So, I am going to see how far I can progress in street trim before I take any more radical steps. I still like to just go touring around on the Busa. It feels very relaxed and powerful just chugging along. Nice feeling in a big four cylinder Japanese bike.

Good post and great info. I bought the Busa, but love both bikes. It was the overall design and comfort of the busa that persuaded me in its direction.

Tetge- You can't really think in terms of displacement... there's more to it than that.

Think 440 Six Pack vs 426 Hemi.... Hemi is smaller but packs more power via a higher tuned engine.

The ZX12R makes up for displacement with a massaged motor from the factory. In a perfect world displacement wins (the old bigger is better theory)... but not all motors are built to the same universal spec... hence why the hopped up 1200 makes more top end power than the 1300cc mild busa motor.

The reality of the matter is that you're going to need to open up the motor to make that 100cc advantage really shine.

The cams would be a perfect place to start!!!

Back