Question from newbie

Okay I just gotta chime in here, been lurking for long enough !

First let me explain that I am in no way a motorcycle mastermind, nor have I been riding for "years". etc. however, there's a 04 busa sittin in my garage, next to MY bike.

The old man's been riding bikes for years started out about 7 years old, on dirtbikes, and progressed to streetbikes, he's still on dirt- with a '01 XR650, but this busa is his first streetbike, in years (read that, before kids LOL!)  He took the MSF course last year for insurance discounts, and was asked if he was interested in teaching them, hes that good of a rider. but anyway...the busa is capable of things that are so outlandish, and not normal for a street bike, even he, a guy with 30 years of riding experience has to constantly be aware of happening.  It's not a bike where you can let your mind wander, you do that, and your doing over 100 without even knowing it, as stated above.  He found that out early on with the bike!..sort of like the ride was in his Cadi STS, you think your doin 80 but really your over 100!..

Anyway- now to the point.  In my garage sits the busa, and my interceptor 500, I could take out the busa (yeah, he'd let me
smile.gif
however, I don't have the experience on a bike to put something with that much power under me.  No way no how.  I can dump the throttle on my bike, and it might shock me, but I dump the throttle on the busa, and I'm dead...yup- either that or laying in some rehab place, while my kids are left basically without a mother, and he's left without a partner!.....so maybe I'm being extreme, but geez,

Also- go ahead, only get liability insurance...just dont faint when you price the plastic that'll need replacing after even a minor driveway fall down!... Our bike's do not have leinholders, so we could have only put liability on them, but ask me about the time he wrecked our 89 'vette, and I'll tell why you always should have full coverage!

One last insurance note- got the bill here in front of me- $1570 12 month policy- full coverage on the busa, liability on the interceptor (come on- its an 86!!)...he's 37, I'm 28, no points on my license, 8 on his (yes thats 8!)..Progressive Company, MSF Discount, multi policy discount from agent, and home owner discount as well.  First policy with Progressive (auto and home with another company, same agent)..

FYI- the liability on my bike  is $380.00 a year...I find it hard to believe that even liability for a busa is less than that!

Brandy

FYI- the liability on my bike is $380.00 a year...I find it hard to believe that even liability for a busa is less than that![/QUOTE]

Ouch!!
Shop around for a better rate. You wouldn't believe how companies can vary in price. With 0 points and an old 500cc bike you should be paying well under $100 year...unless they're punishing you by association to someone with 8 points
smile.gif

I've got my Busa's State Farm policy in front of me and if I went with liability only it would cost me $155.60 a year and that's with 300/300/100 limits, matching uninsured and underinsured coverage.

If I dropped the uninsured and underinsured coverage (which Indiana does not require) I'd be down to 67.40 a year. If I was a complete moron and went with Indiana's bare minimum of 25/50/10 I'd probably be around $40 a year.

I just sold a 500cc bike and in the 12 years I owned it I never paid more than $50 a year on it.

Hey Ssilkyslim_3rd, I can’t tell you if the Busa is the right bike for you. Instead, I would like to share my experiences as a beginner rider on a Busa with you. First off I’m 25, 6’1â€, and 275 lbs so I’m pretty close to your specs  I have 1700 miles on my bike which means I’m still a newbie, and I rode dirt bikes as a kid, which I think helps, but I have limited experience on street bikes. OK now the LIST:
1.) So far I haven’t dumped it
smile.gif
(knocking on what I hope is wood)

2.) Honestly, the thing that scared me the most about this bike was the hype. Yes, this is the fastest bike you can ride off the showroom floor on and yes, the smoothness of this bike WILL temp you into riding beyond your abilities, but it also has one of the most predictable throttles of any other bike I’ve ridden and when you do decide to push your self, you can be confident that this bike will be able to take it.

3.) The Busa is a two-legged buffalo at low speeds
smile.gif
At first, when I was getting used to the throttle, I tried to take off from a stop going as strait as possible because if you slip the clutch too long or don’t give it enough throttle and start leaning the bike, it develops a VERY strong attraction to the earth. In other words, it wants to dump on you.

4.) The break-in RPM restrictions really helped me get used to the bike. The power difference between 1K-5K and 5k-11k is HUGE. The first time I broke 8k (that I know of) I popped a power wheelie at 65-70~ mph in first gear. A little scary, but since I was really comfortable with my control of the bike by then I just eased off the throttle a bit and it came right down – way better than finding out how many feet until my jacket grinds off and the flesh hits the road
smile.gif

5.) Adjusting the brake/clutch levers made a big difference in my comfort/reaction times.

6.) Adjusting as much play out of the throttle as I could helped me almost eliminate bad starts (I think there is an universal law that if you try to impress a hot chick you will stall your bike)

7.) Fast corners fun! Slow corners fun! - But more technical. Long sweeping fast corners allow you to enter at a slower pace and then increase your speed slowly until you reach your comfort limit and you can see on-coming traffic fairly easily. Slow corners are really easy to enter too hot on the throttle and the Busa hates braking mid-corner. And, hugging the yellow line on a tight left-hand corner and having a car appear in the oncoming lane will make your anus chew a hole through your underwear
wow.gif

8.) The Busa seems more forgiving in the twisties when I use a higher gear/lower RPM. When I use a lower gear/higher RPM, the back tire slides easier if I let out/get on the throttle too quickly…like when my anus is trying to chew through my underwear
smile.gif

9.) When you weigh as much as I do DON’T get on the throttle unless you are leaning on the tank. Very easy to ride wheelies if you are sitting up straight and get angry with the throttle. Also, I’ve noticed that it’s really easy to ride a 1â€-2†wheelie under power without realizing it. Not too bad, but it’s a tad scary when the Busa doesn’t respond to steering input in a predictable way.

10.) The rear-view mirrors suck if you’re broad in the shoulders. I had to get used to shifting my body away from the mirror I am trying to look through and tucking my elbow in to be able to see anything behind me.

11.) Traffic is definitely hard for me. When I’m hunched over, it’s hard for me to look completely over my shoulder to check my blind spot. Also, I’ve already had at least four people try and merge into my lane with me still in it :| I didn’t realize how much it helps visibility to have a yellow Xterra until I started riding my silver/gray Busa
smile.gif

12.) It’s a b!tch to back it up on a slope. Did that once and now I always park it facing up hill. Also helps prevent it from rolling forward off the kick stand.

13.) I have awesome friends who were willing to take it slow and show me the good roads to practice on. And we worked out a method for communicating: 1 brake light flash-easy corner, 2 flashes-tight corner but no surprises, and 3 flashes-take it slow.

14.) It took me a while to be able to look at the tach and speedo and be able to tell what gear I’m in (only the first three gears-still have trouble with 4,5,&6). The first time I popped it in first at 45mph and dumped the clutch the rear tire got REALLY squirrelly.

I’m going to stop there so that those of you (myself included) with mild ADD can make it all the way through my post
smile.gif
I don’t know how much this helps, but I hope it does.

smile.gif

smile.gif

smile.gif

smile.gif

smile.gif

Thanks very much nasty
bowdown.gif
What I needed was an individual that was close to my specs(off by 4 in in height but weigh the same) give me first hand experience with the Busa. I appreciate everyones comments and thoughts, but to hear it from the horses mouth makes all the difference in the world. I've taken the MSF course and was planning to make a purchase in early December or during tax season '05. Feel free to email me with pointers and tips and things that helped you become a better rider-more confident rider on the Busa. Thanks again and stay up!!!
race.gif

Welcome. I'm 6'5" and 275, and the Busa is a great fit. If you go with a Busa, the first couple of things you'll want to do would be the double-bubble windscreen, and maybe some mirror spacers.

Back