First bike choices for a big rider?

BigTurkey

Registered
Hi guys,

I have read all the posts that busas are NOT good beginner bikes. And i totally agree! I am a 27yr old man that is 6'2 305lbs. Does anyone have any ideas for a good first bike for me? Most people with bikes I talk to say at least a 900 but not a busa. Any ideas?

Big Turkey

I usually tell folks a Katana 750. Its a cousin to the Busa, is comparable in weight, but doesn't have quite (underestimate) the power. It's a great bike to learn on IMO.

what abotu the sv1000
rock.gif
or the sv650 650s or the sv1000
rock.gif

rock.gif

i think he'd swall a 650. hmmm i dont know about a katana either i had my katana and when me and my wife were on it it slowed down terriably and we dont weigh as much as you do bro. Hell im more of a liberal so if you want the busa get the busa. its power isnt un manageable and its gradual acceleration not like the liter bikes. Its more forgiving then some may say so id go for it. Remeber youre an adult and your not gonna lose any friends by getting one
blush.gif

I would go with a ZX-11, or CBR 1000F, or 1200S Bandit. As a big guy you will be comfortable on any of these bikes, and they make enough power to have fun on as you become more experienced and skilled.

1200 Bandit, SV1000, ZRX1100/1200, Katana 750, All good choices for your first ride.

Try the SV1200S and the SV1000. You'll love both. They both have plenty of power for everyday and fun riding.
beerchug.gif

i would like to see what he looked like on a ninja 250 . u know ones u had on the training course to get his license

SV are both good for you the 1000 If you have your head on your shoulders correctly you could try the Busa its very easy to ride around town just cruisin its just that the throttle on the busa is different very little is a lot on the Busa. and if you twist and arn't ready big guy or not She's gonna bite ya good luck with whatever get your gear and be safe.
biggrin.gif

The busa is about as gentle as they come! I know there will be a lot of guys who will jump on that one. But I got a guy on a busa two years ago for a first bike and he fell in love with it. Rides it with passion and never had a problem. I just introduced a woman to a new busa. Although she is not totally green, she is very inexperienced and she is also in love and rides the busa very well. The only thing about the busa is you must have respect for the throttle until you become comfortable. If you don't respect the throttle, it will bite you. But then so will any other big bike! However, riding the busa as a first bike, you are no more apt to drop a busa than you are a 600? If you can ride a scooter, you can ride a busa! Most all skinned up fairings on a beginners bike comes from slow speed parking lot type crashes. Going though the learning curve you will most likely drop a bike once or twice so the busa may not be the most economical bike to learn on?

1200 or 1200s Bandit. 2001 to 2005's are all the same. An 01 or 02 should be less than 4500 dollars. Reliable as hell and can be modded to pickup more power when you are ready.
I had a 2001 1200s with Holeshot exhaust, Ivans's jet kit, Gel seat etc.. One the best bikes I ever owned.

Bottom line all here who are telling you including me are only suggesting giving you idea's you have the choice of what you want. get on them feel how they feel and take it all the sugestions here and weigh it all and pick... cannot go wrong then... whether you choose a busa or a ninja 250 or something inbetween...

if u want a busa, just get it. just dont twist the wrist to far. i dont think the weight of it will be a big issue b/c of your size, it will proabably still feel small. just my 2 cents

Guys,

Thanks for taking the time to post your suggestions. I will definitely check out the bikes you mentioned.

It's hard work begin big and beautiful.

Turkey

The busa is about as gentle as they come! I know there will be a lot of guys who will jump on that one. But I got a guy on a busa two years ago for a first bike and he fell in love with it. Rides it with passion and never had a problem. I just introduced a woman to a new busa. Although she is not totally green, she is very inexperienced and she is also in love and rides the busa very well. The only thing about the busa is you must have respect for the throttle until you become comfortable. If you don't respect the throttle, it will bite you. But then so will any other big bike! However, riding the busa as a first bike, you are no more apt to drop a busa than you are a 600? If you can ride a scooter, you can ride a busa! Most all skinned up fairings on a beginners bike comes from slow speed parking lot type crashes. Going though the learning curve you will most likely drop a bike once or twice so the busa may not be the most economical bike to learn on?
I couldn't agree more. Busa as a first bike for me. Ask BusaHaya, I'm skinny as a stick. But 15000 miles and 14 months later in L.A.... Well, other than a handful of low speed drops and tip overs, I'm still riding. Just like a woman: Love and Respect her and she do you right and give you great pleasure... If you don't... Well, let's just say this is a 500+ lb Japanese Girl you don't want to piss off.

Hey Big Turkey......Welcome to the big decision making process! I lamented over what to get for quite some time. I don't have a ton of experience but when I was introduced to the sport bike world and I experienced the Busa I did fall in love!!!! I am only 5'9" and handle it quite well for a newbie! It's a lot of bike but like Tufbusa says - if you respect it you will do fine. I say - go for it!

Id say dont get the Busa for a first bike, it COULD be a big mistake. Start on an SV650 or maybe something a little bigger. There are too many variables for us to be able to assist you properly in choosing a large first bike...without knowing those go small...SV650 has plenty of power to tote you around at very fast speeds. 70hp is more HP then alot of Harleys put out.

Back