First Bike

Duanne

Registered
My step son who is 26yrs wants to get a bike its his first bike, so im thinking of getting him a 2015 Honda CBR300 and I am putting him in a motorcycle training course Im thinking that would be a good choice, Anybody have any advice on this or some ideas...

I would start him on a road trail type bike as they have wider bars that makes it a bit easier to control and give more protection in the inevitable slow speed drop when learning U turns etc.

Excellent thoughts on getting rider training Early on his riding career. :thumbsup:

I had dirt bikes as a kid but my first street bike was a CBR600.

I would start out with a used bike with no fairings. OEM fairings are expensive. You will want something you don't mind being dropped. If you get something too nice it may prevent him from experimenting out of fear of dropping it. I would size the bike to his weight and height. If he is a big guy, a 300cc may not have enough power. I have also seen some tall people at the MSF course have to sit on the rear seat of a 250cc. If all went well this riding season, next season sell the beater bike and get the nicer CBR.

Might look for something in the 500cc to 650cc range, no faring type bike but that's just my opinion. To me they have enough power to safely get in and out of traffic. Good luck in your search.

Does he have a sense of responsibility and self-control? If so, I'd check out a CBR 600. My first bike was a very slow cruiser-style: Honda Shadow. I was over that in about three weeks (about 700 miles of riding). No sense in wasting money- a CBR 600 would make for a great first bike if he can control himself. I would probably say differently if he were 16.

Regardless, a training course could save his life- opened my eyes for sure.

If he's sensible enough get the likes of a honda 600 hornet or kwak er6 if laws allow.
Most find the 300cc stuff a bit boring after a few months.

It probably depends on his personality. I started on dirt bikes, but had a GSXF650 that was fun and great for a street beginner, but I was ready to trade it in after 2 months.

It will also depend on your budget. Get an S1000RR, keep in Rain Mode and take off the fairings. Then he can advance without having to sell/trading in.

DRZ400SM or similar Supermoto/endudo. They are forgiving, still a huge bundle of fun and they rarely take damage when they get laid over. After being a Supermoto guy, I can't imagine recommending anything else as a starter bike. My girlfriend loves her WR250.

It should be okay to start him off with a 300. Get him enrolled into the Basic MSF course and as he rides more elect for a sports bike course. To continue his safe riding, one year later go for a track course. It's all about learning and how he applies it to his everyday life on a bike.

How tall and heavy is he. I think it's more important to get him a bike that fits him and he's comfortable riding. You may want to look at used bikes. My experience is for a new rider, something more sedate up to 650 ccs is ideal. Would not recommend a sport bike to learn on regardless of size. I learned real street riding on a GS 550 and that was a lot of bike back then. Before that it was enduros, 100 and 175 CCs. Enduros are ideal learning bikes because they limit the crazy on the street and can be a blast off road which instinctively helps out with street riding.

DRZ400SM or similar Supermoto/endudo. They are forgiving, still a huge bundle of fun and they rarely take damage when they get laid over. After being a Supermoto guy, I can't imagine recommending anything else as a starter bike. My girlfriend loves her WR250.

My DRZ400S is a terrible road bike. It's probably the knobbies. They to take a beating rather well. Mine has been down a couple dozen times now and is fairing well.

Supermoto. Put 17's on it and you will have even more fun dragging the pegs off of it around every corner.

Here's mine.

I agree with the previous comments, it depends on his height/weight and his personality. I started on a Suzuki 800 cruiser but I think a enduro type bike would have been as good or better. My wife learned on a little Kawasaki KE100 dual sport. It was light, easy to handle and wasn't damaged when she dropped it. Plus enduros are a blast on dirt and gravel if you have any near you.

Why hasn't the OP come back and told us anything about his step son? Like his size and WHY he wants to ride etc?

He (the OP) did ask for advice, right? ???

Personally it makes a big difference IF the step son has ANY experience on a motorcycle at all.
If none, then IMO I would not start a brand new rider on a sport bike of any kind. Dirt/trail bikes are great to learn on
as the controls are the same as on street bikes. However if there is no place to ride a dirt bike (like hard packed ground or trails - Not on sand etc)
and the street is the only place the step son want's to ride, then that would change things.

Again we know nothing about the step son (except his age). Is he 150 lbs or 350 lbs ? Does he have a job? Is his step dad going to buy
a bike for him outright? Does the step son know it's coming - does he have any say in the decision?

We all know it takes time to get the experience that is needed to handle most situations.

Used might be the best choice especially if he might drop it or might outgrow it.

The 300cc size is fine even maybe 400 or a max of 500 IMO is plenty for a new rider. NO CBR600R to start as that could be suicide for some people.

Oh well - I assume that the OP will come back and let us know IF he ended up getting his step son a bike. Time will tell.

Get him something he likes and then have hime ride it hours and hours and hours. There is absolutely nothing better than experience. He will decide when he is ready to step up (maybe he will be happy with what he has). To me experience is the best teacher. You have to make some mistakes before your learn. An organized safety or rider instruction course would be helpful if he is just starting.

Well here's a update.. We went and picked up a 2015 cbr300f nice little bike for a newbie he is also enrolled in a motorcycle training course at the end of April, he's wiped it down a dozen times already and has put 1km on it by backing it up to the alley and driving it into the garage says he's practicing his balance..As soon as the weather gets nice i'll fire up the Busa mode C of course and we'll go for some practice laps around the neighborhood...This brings back memories of my first bike a 1982 Yamaha 400 got it brand new no licence jean jacket ****ty old helmet my buddy gave me, drove it home and my mom dam near killed me....lol

Back