Hi total newbie to bikes

vag

Registered
Hi, i'm currently 17 years old and i'm thinking of purchasing a bike. Before posting i read some of the stickies and came to a realization that a hayabusa is not a bike for me since i want to live long enough to go to a university. I was just wondering what could be a good bike to start learning with (a good looking one). I read that Suzuki SV650 and Suzuki Katana 750 are good beginner bikes. Just wanted some experienced opinions.

Also how safe or unsafe are riding bikes and is it suggested for a 17 year old to ride one.
and 1 last question is around how much could i get a decent beginner bike (that looks good
tounge.gif
) for? I'm kinda short on cash so the least possible would be good, bike doest have to be brand new.

Welcome to the board.

First off. I currently have mized feelings as to if a person should have a Busa as a first bike. I used to say no, never, not in a million years.

But then after reading others opinions, there are some truth to the fact that any bike from a 600 to a 1000 will be more wheelie prone than a Busa, not as stable at high speeds and any of your litre bikes will do 160+

So, I am on the fence ass to what a persons first bike should be.

Probably if you have NEVER ridden a motorcycle before, get a real cheap dirt bike, learn how to shift and throttle and brake on a dirt bike, and after you get good with the basics, take a good street motorcycle safety course.

Then at the safety course talk to other riders, talk to the instructor, get input from everyone first hand, then make the decision on what klind of bike you want.

Just a though.

well i read that even the slightest damage to a bike like the hayabus can cost 500+ $ repairs... being only 17 its kinda hard coming up with cash like that.

I'd say a Katana 600. The wieght difference isn't that much. So once you get used to the Katana, the switch to a Busa shouldn't be that difficult. Get a used one.. that way when it goes down.. and it will.. you won't be crying the blues.

And please get all your gear: gloves, helmet, jacket, pants and boots.

lotta factors need ot be taken into account. Are you a first time rider or have you ridden bikes before.

If you haven't ridden before, stay in the dirt for a while....not only will it help you develop some survival skills, but dirt is alot more forgiving than asphalt.

If you not a new rider, then a SV should do just fine...and you should be able to find a good used one for less than $3000.

to tell u the truth i never even rode on a bike before.. but i really dont feel like riding a dirt bike first. I drive cars pretty amazingly (if that counts for anything ) and ya... so for around how much canadian $ would i be having to spend on a decent bike and how is insurance.

I scanned newspapers for my first learner bike. $400 for an 86 Yam 650. GREAT deal, great bike, dropped it enought to learn how to not drop bikes. Glad I didn't start with a $10,000 Hayabusa

To steal a line I read on here - "You don't take drivers ed in a Mclaren F1 for a reason" or something like that

<!--EDIT|WWJD
Reason for Edit: None given...|1121088871 -->

Insurance will not be cheap for full coverage. If you can find a cheap bike to learn on, and pay cash for it, you can get liability at a lot better rate. All of the rates will vary between insurance companys, so find a bike you like and can afford and ask for a quote. Just be truthful with the insurance company when you ask for a quote because they dont check driving records until they issue a policy. If they find out that you have been caught doing "amazing" things in that car the policy price can easily double or even triple.
wow.gif
laugh.gif
 Hope that helps in some way.
cool.gif

P.S. How big a boy are you? Find a bike that is comfortable, and doesnt weigh more than you can handle. It will be easier to ride and pick up if you drop it.
thumbs-up.gif

<!--EDIT|bigjohn141
Reason for Edit: None given...|1121089104 -->

Just be sure it looks go laying on the ground or on top of you.
biggrin.gif
How much do you have to blow, i mean spend on one? If you have a couple of thousand, try an older kawasaki ninja 600 or something a long those lines. They don't look as good as the new bikes, but the chicks still love em'  
wink.gif

<!--EDIT|bigjohn141
Reason for Edit: None given...|1121089478 -->

well if i decide to buy this summer i will have around 2500, if next summer then around 4000-6000

edit: also how much is insurance around for such bikes?

<!--EDIT|vag
Reason for Edit: None given...|1121090147 -->

I'm with Kat & Pacific on this one, a good katana or SV600 will do you just right. They both look good and you can find a price that will allow you to pay cash outright or pay off quickly so that you can go to liability insurance!

I must say that I'm amazed that a 17 year old is actually being smart concerning starting to ride!

P.S. How big a boy are you? Find a bike that is comfortable, and doesnt weigh more than you can handle. It will be easier to ride and pick up if you drop it.
thumbs-up.gif
i'm around 5'11, 155 pounds (i do freestyle wrestling so gotta keep my weight around that much). Pretty well build since most of my time revolvs around sports such as rugby, wrestling, track etc.

Oh forgot to say:
1. - Go to MSF course!
2. - Get gear (including helmet,gloves & at least a mesh jacket!)
3. - Take your time learning how to ride (you have your whole life)!

Be safe out there yugun!
biggrin.gif

but the chicks still love em'  
wink.gif
haha ya for us young guys thats wat its mostly about :p, but aside from chicks i really feel that riding a bike would fill in that little empty space in me
What do you mean "for us young guys"? Thats one of main reasons any guy buys a bike. For around $2500 you should be able to find a good bike. Just get a paper and do some looking to see what you can find. Here is a pic of a 1996 zx6 ninja for around $2800, so they are out there.

79980288_1.jpg

wow thats a pretty sexy bike for that price.

so the best ones for beginners are ninjas, sv650 or katanas?

okay well guys thanks alot for all your help. Pretty busy with work nowdays but whenever i find free time i will go check some bikes out and see what happens. who knows next time u see me here i might be riding a bike :p

for now i'm out, gotta go to work early bye everyone

Back