BMC or K&N Filter Question

Fireman6615

Registered
Hey everyone, I'm getting ready to have a little winter work done on my bike pretty soon and I'm looking for a little guidance. I'm planning on having my ECU flashed, tuned and dyno'ed and had planned on doing the small air box mod, if I can find an extra airbox here locally for sale. I already purchased a PCIII from a member just in case I need to add it also. Question is whats the opinions of replacing the airfilter? The guys at the bike shop suggested K&N but from all the post I have read here most say to use the BMC race, some even say just use the stock air filter. I plan on having it all done at the same time so I want to get everything together. The bike is a 2006 LE all stock as of now with Yoshimura R22 slip ons. Thanks.

Toss a coin. Both bmc and K&N are great filters. I don't think firm proof exists that either are better than another.

Well lots of different opinions..i really would go with either..what ever one u can get..but as for the stock one,my personal opinion is the aftermarker ones are reusable..just clean it when u change oil...thats easier than having to buy a new one each time it needs replaced..but as far as performance goes stock vs aftetmarket who really knows..but i would stick with the two brands u are looking at..

Toss a coin. Both bmc and K&N are great filters. I don't think firm proof exists that either are better than another.

+1
The BMC race is about 2/3 as thick as the K&N.
So it probably makes .000001% more power:laugh:
There is no proof the K&N flows less than stock, and I don't see how the stock could be better either.

BMC race filter flows great.Just dont overoil it.Thats the trick.A light mist of oil is all it needs.Check yoshimuras site, they had them for $37 in the theyre closeouts.

Thanks for the all the info so far. I have read a ton of information here and it sounds like most are happy with whatever choice they made. I'm not really looking for a lot of HP gain, just a well balanced running bike with the right changes. It runs a little rough right off first and second gear, has a slight lag to to it when I crack the throttle between shifts. Could be the throttle bodies need to be synced also, gonna have that done while its in the shop since it has about 18,000 miles on it. If anyone has any leads to an airbox please point me in that direction as well as any sponsors that sells the filters. Thanks.

I have a K&N only because it was cheaper in the long run. I don't really care if it costs me a couple of HP. The Busa has more than I use most of the time anyway.

Justin sorry but I'm gonna have to challenge your google skills as well as you on that statement.
Show us proof a K&N flows less than stock please.

Don't hold your breath. I've been asking people to cite that source for years. It's nothing but a few people repeating something they once read in another post and took as fact.

I read it on the internet so it must be true! :rollext:

IMHO, the BMC does flow more but the K&N is a really good street filter. That's just based on the highly scientific tests I've done (just looking at them). Frankly though with the configuration of your bike (no header) I don't think you will see any real difference. I use K&N but I would use BMC without any hesitation also.

Thanks for all the good stuff guys, and I did grab one of those BMC filters from Yoshimuras site, what a deal. Since crazyarch mentioned my headers, how can I tell if the exhaust is a complete system or just slip on cans? I bought the bike used about 6 months ago and I just assumed it was slip on cans, but I don't really know how to tell the difference. Anything special I could look at?

Back