K&N Air Filter - Use Or Toss?

Skowinski

Registered
Just bought a used (~5800 miles) 04 model. The PO had some stuff for the bike he'd never installed, including a K&N air filter, brand new. The stock filter is still clean, just pulled it out and looked.

My question is - should I use this K&N, will it affect the fuel/air mixture positively or negatively? I'm still new to Busa's and am feeling my way into this bike....

Like most other ECU-controlled FI modules, running the K&N filter won't make too much of a noticeable change for you. You may hear some added engine noise through the less-restricted intake, but you won't get too much on the power delivery end. In order to get the most out of a more breatheable intake is to mirror that reduction in losses by adding a less restrictive exhaust. With both of those combined, plus a new fuel mapping (either done professionally or with a power commander or equivalent), the bike will feel, sound and deliver higher power. All easy bolt-on stuff.

+1 to what Chris08Bus above said. My 2 cents: keep it. If for anything else, it is washable/reusable.

Back