Hi total newbie to bikes

to tell u the truth i never even rode on a bike before.. but i really dont feel like riding a dirt bike first. I drive cars pretty amazingly (if that counts for anything ) and ya... so for around how much canadian $ would i be having to spend on a decent bike and how is insurance.
At 17 you would most likely not be able to afford insurance for a Busa anyway. Start with a good 600 the insurance will still be up there for your age. Look for a ggod used bike and go to a good riding school.

To answerr your second thouht. No being a good car driver will have nothing to do with your riding skills on a bike. It will help in judgement watching the traffic around you for a start.

Vag - Reconsider starting with a dirt bike. Not a motocross bike, but rather a trail bike, perhaps in the 200-250cc range, as your first bike. Something that can be ridden on the street and trails so you can venture out onto the street eventually, but spend a lot of time learning on the trails. Reason? Several, but here's a few...

1. You can learn more riding a trail bike in the dirt in a month, than you'll learn on the street bike in a year.

2. Falling (which probably will happen!) is a lot less painful in the dirt than on the street. And chances are you'll get up and walk again on the trails - all bets are off if you fall in the street.

3. You'll be able to push your limits and boost your skill and confidence level much quicker on the trail bike.

4. Trail bikes are fairly easily repaired if you fall. If you fall on a sport bike (even a SV650), be ready to dig deep into your pockets.

5. A trail bike will cost less to purchase and insure.

6.. Most importantly, the skills you'll learn riding a trail bike (in the dirt) could end up saving your life someday when you graduate to faster bikes.

How safe is riding a bike? As safe as you want to make it. Most accidents are avoidable, IF you drive defensively and have the skills and knowledge to make the right move, at the right time when problems pop up. Unfortunately, right now you don't have knowledge or skill. That's another reason to start small, and work your way up. Start with something that is fairly easy to control. Motorcycle Safety Courses utilize 125cc and 250cc bikes in their schools because they are "easy to control." Larger, more powerful bikes sometimes are not.

We had a lot of amazing 17 year old car drivers in our neighborhood too. But amazing as they were (and I'm sure they all thought they were!), some of them didn't live to see 18. Don't let your confidence overtake your skill level.

The 650 and 750 models you mentioned can easily kill someone that's new to riding - very quickly. They will exceed 100mph fairly quickly, and even these bikes are probably faster than any car you've ever driven. Add to that cars and trucks buzzing all around you, and most of them having a tough time seeing motorcycles, plus you're in a whole new learning environment with very little riding skills..., you can see how it could add up to a dangerous mix.

My wife rides a Kawasaki Z750. It's a fairly quick bike (about 80hp), and can reach 100mph fairly quickly. My wife has been riding for 20 years. She taught herself to ride in the dirt. No way I'd hand the keys over to someone that's new. That's just not smart.

Do yourself a favor, learn in the dirt and you'll have a better chance of making it to that University!
biggrin.gif

I started on a 99 F4 ( CBR 600 by Honda ). I had never ridden before. Its VERY awkward at first no doubt. BUT, i took my time, respected the bike, and learned to ride before i started "using" the bike. I didnt have any trouble at with the 600. I put 2K miles on the bike in 2 years, then got the Busa. I have owned the Busa for almost 2 years now and have over 5K on the clock. Just take your time, and DONT BE stupid. You'll do just fine. Good luck with the search.

Oh Yea, get the SV650 over the Kat. ( just my opinion ) Keep it around 600cc's whatever it is and ENJOY!

Scott
biggrin.gif

i'm young and stupid though and bike looks r everything for me :S
laugh.gif

dude, i think just about any 600 will be a good "starter" bike. If looks are everything, I'm thinking you are in the market for something that's "not too old." Anyway, a gixxer, cbr, yzf r6, a 6r...all good bikes. You're likely to dump it a few times learning no matter if you slip a bit in the gravel stopping and do a slow tip over, or are dragging it through a corner with too little experience and too much speed and low side across the pavement (or highside to the moon when your rear end steps and out and then...OH HECK! Just like that you catch traction). I'm in the same boat as thrasher...somewhat. But I don't think you should start with a busa, as they are really very heavy (about 100 to 120 pounds more than your 600 depending on what you buy) and they really have just SO MUCH power...it's easy for even an "experienced" rider to get carried away.

Your average Japanese sportbikes now days are, "Really good race bikes that are street legal and fun to ride like hell on the streets." Anything you buy, (if you're into looks and not an older bike that won't cost much and you won't be pissed when you dump it because, what the hell, it's a starter bike anyway) will give you all the power you need and probably more than what's feasible for a young guy who's never been on a bike before. Personally (and damned if this won't get me slammed here  
tounge.gif
) I love the RR's, both honda and kawi. They are fast, light, and "flickable" like there's no tomorrow. Yamaha has lagged somewhat in the last few years as far as development, and the RR's have dominated both on the track and off. Sad to say, but yes, according to the info out there, the GIXXER has lagged somewhat as well and is not scoring as highly on the track and road reviews as the RR's(the 1000, of course, aside...but we're talking 600's here, anyway). Anyway, reading/research aside...in my personal experience riding both the honda and kawi...those are the way to go, dude. Prolly too much for a young guy who hasn't ridden before...but any sport bike that you buy (again, if you're all about looks and won't go older to learn on) will be fast as hell and...well, good luck, dude. Even the older 90's models...just incredibly fast and nimble. A 90's model CBR or Kawi that has been dumped once or twice but otherwise is mechanically sound...that's what I would recommend to a friend if he asked. I hope you find something you enjoy and learn to ride without too many bumps, bruises, contusions...tickets...  
tounge.gif

smile.gif

<!--EDIT|Busa_05
Reason for Edit: "grammatical"|1121102013 -->

tounge.gif

Why don't you start out on a bike that'll give you good fuel economy...and is recommended for begginers.

Suzuki reccomend the GS500F. The fuel economy will help you alot, especially since you're still studying....

The 04' GS500F will cost $4990 and the '05 model will cost $5200 or something..check out the Suzuki website for more info.

Also...check out MotoFinder

<!--EDIT|doodoggy
Reason for Edit: None given...|1121101619 -->

I like the trail bike idea... I started on a used DR350s and loved it... Learned all the basics took all the courses... Then moved up to a katana... The enduro is pretty tough and as long as you keep street tires on it you can learn the basics and transition to a more "street" oriented bike( and save alot of money in plastic). Plus you have the added bonus of jumping the ba$tard and tearing it up in the dirt!

well if i decide to buy this summer i will have around 2500, if next summer then around 4000-6000

edit: also how much is insurance around for such bikes?
suggestion: check out insurance cost before on a bike before you buy it. different bikes different costs. your age doesnt help. take a motorcycle saftey class (some have bikes for you to learn on) may help with insurance cost also)

Hey Vag....I have a 1986 GSXR1100 that is 100% stock. That paint started showing signs of wear, so I had it repainted as close to factory as I could get. The bike only has 3300 miles on the clock and they have been verified. If you are interested, just let me know.

Hey Vag....I have a 1986 GSXR1100 that is 100% stock. That paint started showing signs of wear, so I had it repainted as close to factory as I could get. The bike only has 3300 miles on the clock and they have been verified. If you are interested, just let me know.
GSX-R 1100 as a starter bike...I don't know man...just like a Busa, a bike like that could potentially get people injured just learning on it...

Actually..even an R6 would NOT be a good starter bike. The R6 doesn't perform nicely in the low-mid rev range. It'll guzzle too....

An '86 GIXXER with only 3300 miles?

Dude I will give you my honest opinion on this cuz I have room to talk about it. I was in love with the busa in 98 when rumors of it started breaking out. I wanted nothing but one since the first time I saw it. Now I knew realistically that insurance was going to blow me out of the saddle bigtime! I waited until I got out of flight school at 22 and start checking into getting one. Now I had never rode a dirtbike or anything on 2 wheels until about 4 months prior to getting a busa. I rode a friend of mines zx-7 for about 12 hours or so just enough to make sure I would be a capable rider. After that at 23 years of age I took the bait and got my hayabusa. Well here I am at 13,000 miles on it and couple years later and I am LOVING it. If you can take your time on this bike and really learn it. I mean LEARN it! What it's capable of, how to spot problems mechanically, how to do your maintenance right, and have a good head on your shoulders this bike will love you right back. Now if you are gonna be Johnny Mcsquid and be like hey look I can 200 mph (famous last words) then yes I would say start out on something else. All I can say is I am 100% glad I bought a busa as a first bike and having rode many other bikes since like a 1000rr and a gixxer 1000 I would not give up my baby busa for anything. So good luck in picking what you want man but just remember to ride smart and for gods sakes please wear gear.
BB69

dual sport would be nice... drz400 suzuki... basically a trail bike..that you can ride on the road legally... pretty good beginner bike.. plus it's cheap on gas..

Back