Getting bored with riding....anybody else go through this?

i find something to do on my bike that i can't do anywhere else. May sound crazy but i talk to myself and i talk to god. That's pretty much the only quiet place i have where no one can bother me. Of course i stay focused on the ride and safety is paramount, but i use the time when i'm alone in my helmet to clear my head. That to me makes riding indispensible (sp?).

+1000

LOL OMG Get your asses up and go apologize to those bikes.. Then through an overnight backpack together and just go.. Go find some place to ride you haven't been and go.. After that get your ass to the bash and have fun with everyone.. GET UP DON'T YOU SIT THERE.. I'LL COME TO YOUR HOUSE... You don't want that. I'm really hyper.. Ask jules she'll tell you...well well what are you waiting for.. Just think of that tree you missed or woo where'd that sign or house come from. Well that was a cute little squirrel.. what the dikins was that..:cheerleader::thumbsup::beerchug::cheerleader: :whistle:

Oh yeah I sing to myself like I am some damn american idol or something.. Believe me you don't want me at you house singing to you..

Last edited:
Really I guess that's how I got into the IBA (Iron Butt Association) runs. I need to be going somewhere for some reason to enjoy riding. Just riding around NEVER interested me. Kinda like flying, I have thousands of hours, but just flying around and going no where NEVER kept my interest. But, 1,000 and 1,500 mile rides, along with IB rallys really triped my trigger :cheerleader:

Now, I'am planning (over the next couple of years) a Border to Border run, along with a 4 Corners (that's all four corners in the US ) run in 18 days. And really, planning an figuring out the route is half the fun :thumbsup:

So, look for something you like to do or go somewhere you want to, as in a Restaurant or local event (Car/Bike shows) in some town you've never been to before :beerchug:

like several of the members have mentioned, get some variety in your trips...by the end of winter, i am tired of riding the same roads all by myself but then everyone else gets their bikes out of the garage and i am headed to the Bash, Eureka Springs, Rock Island, Gulfport, Wisconsin, Oklahoma, etc. and now i'm working on doing my first IBA run...it keeps things new and fun and you can't beat the group of people you get to hang out with at the MnG's :beerchug:

I was going to post the same question up a little while ago, just never did.

Before I got a bike I would have done ANYTHING to get one, but I bet I haven't put 1000 miles on my bike in a year. My bike is now covered in my garage (poor thing). It's wierd, when I'm on it nothing else matters. It's getting started that's hard for me.

I go through this everytime I think of riding....

"where am I going to go"

"I bet there's so much traffic out there right now"

"I'll wait till later, and see if somebody else wants to go" Which NEVER happens !!

BUT I don't miss a day comming here !!

Kenny's post got me thinking.
How many of you that are getting bored with riding live in big towns, cities, or otherwise boring, high traffic road condition places?
Is it riding, or where your having to ride, that your getting bored with?

How many of you that are getting bored with riding live in big towns, cities, or otherwise boring, high traffic road condition places?

WHERE we have to ride... DANG TOURISTS!!! (not to mention 99% straight, flat roads...oh how I HATE the INTERSTATE!) and sitting in traffic in 98 degree temps with 98% humidity... needless to say I show up to where ever I am going looking MELTED. And even though my tank bag is big, I still have to wear a backpack to carry my stuff for school/ work.

It's so much different when you don't HAVE to ride.... but once the traffic clears and I can stay on the throttle longer than 30 seconds.. most of this disappears from my mind... then it's time to join the cattle lines once again.

I have been riding for many years and about two years ago I realized that something had to change. I rode many different bikes thru the years and the last one was a 600 Bandit which served me well for 12 years.
I only used her for a daily commuter to work and started to think it was just to routine, Not bored just not as fun anymore. When I started to look for another bike I was really leaning to the GSXR's and the R1's.

After buying the Busa I was still just riding to work but it was much better.
THEN I HIT THE TWISTIES, and I still have a grin on my face that will not go away. It is the thing that actually has given me new life to my riding and made me want to learn how to ride as opposed to just riding everyday.
Track days are in my sights to further improve my skills and desires to ride.
Hope this helps.
Bubba

It's TOTALY WHERE I have to ride....for me !!!

Traffic has a HUGE part to play in my riding, or lack of I should say. It's all roads lined with stores, shopping centers, and developments where I live. To get away from these roads it's about 20 min. away. Then you get to what I would call "the twisty's", but even they get all clogged up with clumps of cars, going 10 - 15 mph. under the speed limit. Then I get frustrated, and start riding like a "squid".

Last edited:
It's TOTALY WHERE I have to ride....for me !!!

Traffic has a HUGE part to play in my riding, or lack of I should say. It's all roads lined with stores, shopping centers, and developments where I live. To get away from these roads it's about 20 min. away. Then you get to what I would call "the twisty's", but even they get all clogged up with clumps of cars, going 10 - 15 mph. under the speed limit. Then I get frustrated, and start riding like a "squid".
Now that funny:laugh:
Squids and Hoons,
I have to ride at least an hour to get to the twisties no matter where I go, so yeah I have to deal with the idiots for a while and then I have to deal with them on the way home too, bummer but worth the ride.
Bubba

I live 10 minuyes away from Angeles Crest highway. Yes, it's the same damn 150 miles of twisties, but hey.......
Posted via Mobile Device

I live 10 minuyes away from Angeles Crest highway. Yes, it's the same damn 150 miles of twisties, but hey.......
Posted via Mobile Device

Where are you again?
I thought you were in SD.
I am heading to Crestline soon, let me know if you want to hit the 18.
Bubba

Get yourself a trackbike and go to the track a few times and you will get that feeling again. But be fore warned you may get the track bug

It also could be the type of bike your riding. Maybe your ready for something else. I like my Busa but it aint that comfortable.

I don't know how you daily commuter guys do it...

It isn't the most exciting riding, but I prefer to ride on the outside rather than being locked up in a cage.

I get bored with riding after a few hours on the slab. Get over it by hitting the twisties.

Last edited:
I started riding in 1957 and have had motorcycles all my life. I have been bored a few times but I have always had a motorcycle or two at any given time. Living in Los Angeles, I got bored with riding street bikes in the city and on the freeway / super slab.

In 1995 I sold my Suzuki 1000 and decided I wasn’t going to ride on the street anymore. I did keep my dirt bike that I love to cow trail with.

In 1996 I moved to Durango Colorado. After driving in the mountains and on the back roads, I decided I had to have another street bike. I got one, and the joy was back. For me, twisties are where it’s at. Now I had some good twisties in the Los Angeles area but I was too lazy to hit the freeway to get to them. I had forgotten how much fun a motorcycle is in the twisties.

I am now living in the San Diego area and will endure the commute to get to the twisties and get my fix. I enjoy relaxed twisties and pushing it when the opportunity is right.

My recommendation is to hit the twisties. If you don’t have any, Sign up for a high performance riding school or track days.

Recommend reading:

Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance – Robert Pirsig
Twist of the wrist – Keith Code
Twist of the wrist II – Keith Code
Total control – Lee Parks

This thread has made me think about what I like about motorcycles and riding:

Freedom – Adventure – Exploration – Challenge – Discovery – Skill – Art – Beauty – communion with machine and environment – In the zone – Oneness

Camaraderie and the Org

Al

It isn't the mose exciting riding, but I prefer to ride on the outside rather than being locked up in a cage.

Sherry says that I am in a much better mood when I get home on days that I ride compared to when I have to drive the truck:)

That may be because I have six miles of great twisty roads at the beginning and end of the day:whistle:

Back