Going from cruiser to Hayabusa

(...) I just don't quite get how folks can corner so quickly on regular roads. I'm looking at getting into a track day class, I'll be taking that soon. (...)

to get schooled how to ride a bike perfectly (every 2nd year) is a very good idea - best you can do

for "comfort" at the busa i would recommend 3 changes :
1. lower the nose 15 mm / 1/2"
2. rise the rear 20 mm / 3/4"
3. install a wide (760 mm) bar, called superbike-bar

1. & 2. make the busa very handy without any loss of high speed stability
3. moves you into a bit more upright position and the wider bar gives you a lot more control
plus it reduces the necessary force to steer
and
your wrists will cry "thank you" to you
i know what i write - i did so with my 1st and 2nd busa and i´m happy as can be with that.

believe in me.
point 1-3 are the best changes you can make for quick cornering - i´m 62 old , 6ft4 tall with, fully clothed, 105 kg
and i had last year 360 km´s on the very curvy alpes´ country road called "route napoleon" from Nice to Grenoble (alpes) in some 7 or 8 hours.
and reaching grenoble i felt so very fine, that i thought over a little day-ending trip through town but little rain stopped me.

@Belair Barca ...Corbin seats (and some others) are lower than stock...will help you with your height challengement... :laugh: 30" inseam.
The way I have gone with all me Busa seats,5 or 6 of 'em is a custom created one by Lee at New Image Seats . He has done hundreds of Busa seats.Just tell him want you want. Here's my latest one. Has a hump for drag racing,but he can cut you a lower one and still make it comfy I'm sure. The seat is on there somewhere...
whistle.gif

s4.jpg

s3.JPG

s2.JPG

Rubb.

@Belair Barca ...Corbin seats (and some others) are lower than stock...will help you with your height challengement... :laugh: 30" inseam.
The way I have gone with all me Busa seats,5 or 6 of 'em is a custom created one by Lee at New Image Seats . He has done hundreds of Busa seats.Just tell him want you want. Here's my latest one. Has a hump for drag racing,but he can cut you a lower one and still make it comfy I'm sure. The seat is on there somewhere...View attachment 1625163

View attachment 1625160

View attachment 1625161

View attachment 1625162

Rubb.

Ummm, so again, what were we talking about...I got a bit distracted by the gorgeous scenery. Oh right the seat. Yes, definitely something I'll be looking into, especially if it doesn't lose comfort over a 4-5 hour trip. And thanks for the lead..."Lee at New Image Seats".

I think someone said the Busa was not designed for the twisties which is absolutely not the case. At the time when the Busa was conceived, The top performing bikes were a bit behind what we now call high performance. So now the Busa is much less a turner than superbikes for example. That doesn't mean the busa doesn't turn. There are some track day videos on here where the Busa is doing just fine on the track.

Still, turning a Busa at speed requires a bit more commitment. As has been said, you need to position yourself off the seat (half a cheek). You also need to use counter-steering. There's also braking and throttle control through the corner. Sounds complicated but it's not that hard to learn. By the way, this is how you ride most any bike except a cruiser, lol!

The first thing when I got my first busa was to raise handlebars some and lower footpegs. If I wouldn't have thought about doing that from the start, I would have gotten rid of it right away as it would have been too painful and I would have considered it un-rideable at my age and health level. I'm so glad I did the mods listed above. The quality of build and the feel of the ride is unmatched with any other bike I ever had. It was like going from a cheap chevy or ford to a BMW or Mercedes, the ride was that different to me. On the acceleration, it's like a silent rocket. Not much noise and you look down and you're doing 150mph!! My first ride on a Harley was I felt the pull which is understood by the body as torque or horsepower. You hear this roar and pull and you're thinking, man I must be doing 130mph and then you look at the speedo and it's 50mph LOL. The bike is nearly bulletproof, hardly ever gives trouble and is made by the factory to race and get on it with a warranty kinda like the dodge challenger and it's other upgrades like superchargers and such and other cars, really drag cars from the factory with a warranty, that's what a Hayabusa is. Sure there are some that give trouble due to factory defects, but that's with all things made. The build is quality from front to back, such refinement for a motorcycle, aluminum in a lot of places usually only seen in expensive race cars, and the best part, this bike is extremely reasonably priced, was from the start and still is today. As long as I can ride, I will own a Hayabusa.

I daily drive a 09 VTX and a 03 Busa! They are both polar opposites of each other. Especially the weight difference. After riding the VTX for a few days, and then riding my Busa, my Busa feels like a feather, and I feel like I can whip it around just about anything haha.

The Busa is a pain in the ass to drive in slow traffic, or just around town. That why I have started to mainly use my VTX when i'm going shorter distances.

I just love each bike for what it is, and I have gotten used to the different riding style of each. I still have a long way to go before i'm completely used to it. But since I used them as daily drivers, it gives me more time to spend with them both. Especially in normal day to day situations.

IMG_2547.JPG

Back