Going from cruiser to Hayabusa

Belair Barca

Registered
So I started riding at 55, and for the last 5 years, I've own cruisers and baggers. which I've ridden from the East Coast to the West Coast and back, up to Canada, and all up and down the East Coast. But recently decide I wanted something different, so I bought a sports bike, 2009 Busa, and while it's been largely a positive experience, I do have some mixed feelings. First, let me just state this bike is a blast to ride, as long as there is little to no traffic. My maiden ride was 440 miles from NC to Maryland, and for the first 200 miles it was fantastic, as I was fortunate to experience light traffic all the way up to Richmond, VA. After that, it was miles of congestion. Once past DC, it was back to fun riding. Move forward a week and again I'm finding myself getting frustrated due to slow suburban and rural drivers. I'm not one for crossing solid double lines, so I'm finding myself impatiently wait for passing zones. When I'm on the cruiser/baggers, it's aggravating, but to a lesser extent. But, when I'm on the Busa the frustration needle pegs rather quickly.

So that's my first issue, my other issue is corning. I just don't quite get how folks can corner so quickly on regular roads. I'm looking at getting into a track day class, I'll be taking that soon. Also, I'm sure that with more miles on the seat, I'll get better. But, wanted to ask those folks who've transitioned from a cruiser to a sports bike, I'm sure we have one or two, how did you figure out the sports bike? What was your experience like?

So I started riding at 55, and for the last 5 years, I've own cruisers and baggers. which I've ridden from the East Coast to the West Coast and back, up to Canada, and all up and down the East Coast. But recently decide I wanted something different, so I bought a sports bike, 2009 Busa, and while it's been largely a positive experience, I do have some mixed feelings. First, let me just state this bike is a blast to ride, as long as there is little to no traffic. My maiden ride was 440 miles from NC to Maryland, and for the first 200 miles it was fantastic, as I was fortunate to experience light traffic all the way up to Richmond, VA. After that, it was miles of congestion. Once past DC, it was back to fun riding. Move forward a week and again I'm finding myself getting frustrated due to slow suburban and rural drivers. I'm not one for crossing solid double lines, so I'm finding myself impatiently wait for passing zones. When I'm on the cruiser/baggers, it's aggravating, but to a lesser extent. But, when I'm on the Busa the frustration needle pegs rather quickly.

So that's my first issue, my other issue is corning. I just don't quite get how folks can corner so quickly on regular roads. I'm looking at getting into a track day class, I'll be taking that soon. Also, I'm sure that with more miles on the seat, I'll get better. But, wanted to ask those folks who've transitioned from a cruiser to a sports bike, I'm sure we have one or two, how did you figure out the sports bike? What was your experience like?

Welcome to the fold. Riding slowly for me, is the worst thing about a Hayabusa. I hate it. Prolonged weighting of my hands on the grips riding slowly, especially downhill and around corners is a PAIN. As for double yellows, if the straightaway is long enough so as not to alarm the citizens, the Hayabusa can make a pass in seconds, quite unlike most cruisers. You’ll just have to make that decision. As for cornering, something most cruisers don’t do well, is quite easy for the Hayabusa. Maybe you (should) take a riding course to familiarize yourself with your new bike.

:welcome: to the Hayabusa Madness.
It's all personal preference.You will get untold opinions and theory. From yer list:
I rarely sit in traffic. I will pass on the shoulder if necessary. Double yellow,no worries. That's why I ride a Busa. The Busa is not a designated track bike or for the twisties,but some of the members make it look easy. Transition from bagger/cruiser to Busa? Done it 5 times so far.(since 2000) Back and forth,sometimes keeping multiple rides ready to go depending on the situ. The best may have been Harley FLHTCUi / CBR600RR / Custom chopper / Busa.
But I always come back to the Busa. I just sukk it up when it come to long stop & go. No bike is "fun" in that situ. It does give some owners hurting knee's,back's,wrist's,neck's...its par for the course.
You can make some adjustments if you feel it necessary like lower pegs,higher bars, taller screens,cruise control,etc. But in the end,it's still a Busa...
Love it or leave it.
Rubb.

Welcome to the insanity! Lots of folks have made the transition and many others have more than one type of bike. Practice, practice, practice is a great way to get to know your bike.

I went from having a Harley Davidson Fatboy Lo and a Yamaha Stryker 1300 into a busa as my first sports bike. 9k miles on the Harley and I was done riding something that while looked badass was as slow as a scooter and with dumbass foot boards. My brother wanted to ride with me so we kept the Yamaha Stryker as a bike we can both use and I moved onto the busa. I feel ALIVE when I ride it. If I want, I can cruise slowly down the beach roads taking it easy and take in the scenery. If I want to go balls out there is no better platform. I never came home with my heart beating like it does with this bike. Mine is stretched out and mostly a highway cruiser doing 100 mile sprints just cruising along at a normal pace. At 70MPH I feel like the busa PURRS to life while the Harley was shaking like it wanted me to back off. Yes, I treat her very VERY easy. I do not corner hard just because on the roads around here there is constant sand and debris. Cornering takes time and even I have not gotten great at it. Each ride I get better and better!

It will take some time. Keep taking it out for short trips around the city and you will feel great knowing this bike is capable of literally everything you throw at it. Welcome to the madness.

Welcome!

I cannot comment on the bike transition. To @WuzzaCBXRider's point I can say that a big challenge on sport bikes, particularly this one is that the handlebars are low. The upper body's weight by default will fall vertically on the bars. Any weight on the bars makes steering difficult. Squeeze the tank aggressively with your legs and as you do that feel the pressure being lifted off of your hands. Once you get that sensation it will help you keep it. I start from scratch with these mental reminders each spring, and after prolonged periods of not riding.

Also, you may want to tuck your elbows in/down to your sides. I do not know but you may be used to the arms being up and horizontal from a cruiser. This change makes the arm more of a straight lever applying the most forward motion into the handlebars and creating the most leverage for the least amount of muscle.

There are different configurations of bar risers and whole handlebars to bring bars up and back toward the rider. Start by searching this forum then unleash the questions and these experts will help.

First, get some helibars to reduce your lean angle and lower foot pegs to ease the riding position.
Your idea of a track day school should help with cornering technique.
But some quick advice: slide your body the way you are intending to turn (half of your ass off seat) and counter-steer. Also look where you want to be, not right in front of your wheel, and the bike will follow like magic. This can require turning your head, not just using your eyes.
There are braking techniques to tighten turns as well. Research trail braking on the net.
I ride cruisers and race bikes, the techniques of cornering are the same, limited by rake, trail and the machine's length.
Have fun! And really, really do a track day! Will change your riding forever.

wanted to ask those folks who've transitioned from a cruiser to a sports bike, I'm sure we have one or two, how did you figure out the sports bike? What was your experience like?
I owned a Vulcan a few years before I bought my ZX-14 in 2008. The main differences I remember are:

The change in riding position. That was rough on my hamstrings the first year and the back of my thighs would sometimes cramp while riding. It never is an issue now. My legs adapted. My neck got sore a lot at first too but it's natural to hold my head up while leaned forward now.

The high weight. Not bad while moving but very scary the first few weeks when I had to come to a stop.

Turing. Like you, I had some difficulty in cornering. I just took it pretty slow the first year. Practicing in first gear in an empty parking lot will help a lot just remember your limitations. A parking lot is safe from traffic but of course, you could still fall and that would be a huge drag.

I remember being out on the expressway after riding the bike for a few weeks. I was going a little bit fast and I must have forgot how to turn the bike! It was not a tight curve, just a big corner. I couldn't get the bike to make a tight enough radius and I slowly and unintentionally crossed over into the RH lane because I went so wide. Good thing there were no cars around me. I think somehow my brain was fighting between countersteering and steering like a car. At that point in my riding history, I couldn't lean the bike far and I think I panicked and tried to analyze what i already instinctively knew how to do. The bike just went where it had to go as I rolled off the throttle and touched the brake. That probably just encouraged the bike stand up even more.

Wind. Those fairings seem to catch the wind more than my cruiser did. It's not an issue anymore but I had a few surprises when I first started riding a sport bike.

I would suggest going ahead and riding your busa pretty much the same as you did your cruiser the first year. The second year, maybe try leaning a bit harder and hang a knee out to the inside of the corner as you turn in. Learn the type of line where you enter, apex and exit a corner and try hanging off to reduce your lean angle so you can corner faster. At that point, you're probably pretty close to cornering as safely as is remotely possible on the street. Get some good tires, lower the pressure (you get some good, stiff walled race tires, you can go 25 psi front and rear or lower if you think you need to) and work on trimming down that rear chicken strip. I doubt most of us get the front tire worn less than an inch from the edge of the tread, I couldn't even use all the front tread on a track. Most of my hardest leaning is done in very low speed corners. I would have to go too fast to lean that hard in most of the bigger corners for where I live. I can't see into the corner far enough to do it safely. I work on braking into a corner now. I'm not really good at it yet but I don't only rely on engine braking to slow down for a corner anymore. It's really something that would be better practiced on a track where there would be less danger of other vehicles and immovable objects. Don't worry about touching a knee. It can be done but I haven't gotten there yet and maybe never will with my short legs. Knee dragging is not necessary and maybe a bit ridiculous if the focus is to drag a knee more than lean the bike. I have seen a couple videos where the guy hangs way over and the bike is not leaned much and that makes less sense than leaning and not hanging off at all if you ask me.

Don't do the Rossi foot dangle until you are really good enough to pull that look off. ok I'll admit I try it sometimes when nobody is around to see me. :laugh:

First, get some helibars to reduce your lean angle and lower foot pegs to ease the riding position.
Your idea of a track day school should help with cornering technique.
But some quick advice: slide your body the way you are intending to turn (half of your ass off seat) and counter-steer. Also look where you want to be, not right in front of your wheel, and the bike will follow like magic. This can require turning your head, not just using your eyes.
There are braking techniques to tighten turns as well. Research trail braking on the net.
I ride cruisers and race bikes, the techniques of cornering are the same, limited by rake, trail and the machine's length.
Have fun! And really, really do a track day! Will change your riding forever.

Thanks, and coincidently, I just came in from the garage, where I'm in the process of installing Helibars. I've been considering the pegs, as well, but I'll first see how much I gain just from the Helibars,. What I'm more interested in is lowering the bike to better suit my 30" inseam. But, I just can't decide on fixed or adjustable lowering links, and if I'll also need to lower the front. I'm thinking 1.5" lower in the back should be enough.

I owned a Vulcan a few years before I bought my ZX-14 in 2008. The main differences I remember are:

The change in riding position. That was rough on my hamstrings the first year and the back of my thighs would sometimes cramp while riding. It never is an issue now. My legs adapted. My neck got sore a lot at first too but it's natural to hold my head up while leaned forward now.

The high weight. Not bad while moving but very scary the first few weeks when I had to come to a stop.

Turing. Like you, I had some difficulty in cornering. I just took it pretty slow the first year. Practicing in first gear in an empty parking lot will help a lot just remember your limitations. A parking lot is safe from traffic but of course, you could still fall and that would be a huge drag.

I remember being out on the expressway after riding the bike for a few weeks. I was going a little bit fast and I must have forgot how to turn the bike! It was not a tight curve, just a big corner. I couldn't get the bike to make a tight enough radius and I slowly and unintentionally crossed over into the RH lane because I went so wide. Good thing there were no cars around me. I think somehow my brain was fighting between countersteering and steering like a car. At that point in my riding history, I couldn't lean the bike far and I think I panicked and tried to analyze what i already instinctively knew how to do. The bike just went where it had to go as I rolled off the throttle and touched the brake. That probably just encouraged the bike stand up even more.

Wind. Those fairings seem to catch the wind more than my cruiser did. It's not an issue anymore but I had a few surprises when I first started riding a sport bike.

I would suggest going ahead and riding your busa pretty much the same as you did your cruiser the first year. The second year, maybe try leaning a bit harder and hang a knee out to the inside of the corner as you turn in. Learn the type of line where you enter, apex and exit a corner and try hanging off to reduce your lean angle so you can corner faster. At that point, you're probably pretty close to cornering as safely as is remotely possible on the street. Get some good tires, lower the pressure (you get some good, stiff walled race tires, you can go 25 psi front and rear or lower if you think you need to) and work on trimming down that rear chicken strip. I doubt most of us get the front tire worn less than an inch from the edge of the tread, I couldn't even use all the front tread on a track. Most of my hardest leaning is done in very low speed corners. I would have to go too fast to lean that hard in most of the bigger corners for where I live. I can't see into the corner far enough to do it safely. I work on braking into a corner now. I'm not really good at it yet but I don't only rely on engine braking to slow down for a corner anymore. It's really something that would be better practiced on a track where there would be less danger of other vehicles and immovable objects. Don't worry about touching a knee. It can be done but I haven't gotten there yet and maybe never will with my short legs. Knee dragging is not necessary and maybe a bit ridiculous if the focus is to drag a knee more than lean the bike. I have seen a couple videos where the guy hangs way over and the bike is not leaned much and that makes less sense than leaning and not hanging off at all if you ask me.

Don't do the Rossi foot dangle until you are really good enough to pull that look off. ok I'll admit I try it sometimes when nobody is around to see me. :laugh:

Thanks, awesome real life examples. Definitely, will take it easy for now. From the many comments, seem like the class is the way to go, so that'll be my next investment, once I get the comfort mods completed.

Folks, many, many thanks for all the helpful tips, suggestions, and comments. I've thoroughly read through each and every one, and have learned a great deal. I can tell you that, as a result, my concerns are starting evaporate. Again, thanks to everyone. Back into the garage I go!

Very informative video, I did the same on my cruiser, and was able to gain better footing when stopped. I'm guessing that with a lower seat, the angle between the hamstring and calf will decrease, so lowering pegs maybe needed in order to open up the angle back to a more normal position???

Belair i’m certainly not as experienced as 95% of the above members but I myself am around your age and back to riding after almost 40 years..... I put a pair of those silicone grip pads on the side of my gas tank. Allows me to lock my outside knee onto the tank and I can lean in slightly while minimizing the downward force on the bars. Makes it super easy.
As for the lowering links I highly recommend an adjustable set with metric fittings. SAE Outlaw made the ones i ended up going with and they are excellent quality (shameless plug with no skin in the game).

Thanks, and coincidently, I just came in from the garage, where I'm in the process of installing Helibars. I've been considering the pegs, as well, but I'll first see how much I gain just from the Helibars,. What I'm more interested in is lowering the bike to better suit my 30" inseam. But, I just can't decide on fixed or adjustable lowering links, and if I'll also need to lower the front. I'm thinking 1.5" lower in the back should be enough.
Hi. I would go with the adjustable lowering links. To lower the front you can use a need a different top tree, you can push the tubes up into the top tree. I am not sure if it can work with the Helibars. You can lower the front by using Trac Dynamic slammerz. They arhave 2 or 3 inch kits. My bike is low and long, not made for turns. I have a 6 to 12 inch over swingarm and a 1 inch positive raked custom made triple trees. I have the Trac slamers and 120/60/17 front tire. For the rear I have a Penske rear shock that is 1inch shorter with a titainum spring and the adj lowering links.

I'll add my 20c worth..
I went from sports, to cruiser, (thinking I'm getting to old for sports), to the Busa.
I have mine set up with helibars, 19mm riser and buell footpegs.
As an ex sports rider, I've updated the brakes, and had the suspension done.
I'm very much a brake late and hard, throw it into the corner and power out rider.
I've had stiffer front springs fitted to stop it diving under brakes.
The only thing it struggles with is tight, low speed hairpins now.
But I LOVE it now. It's the bike I can cruise on, solo and two up, can go nuts on the twisties, and overtake in the blink of an eye.

Thanks, awesome real life examples. Definitely, will take it easy for now. From the many comments, seem like the class is the way to go, so that'll be my next investment, once I get the comfort mods completed.
I always hear a track class is a great investment. A track environment is so much better for getting into the groove. You'll roll rubber over the edges of that rear tire with some experience.

BTW, I noticed on my ride tonight, I lift my knee back in when I do a hard lean. Probably a good idea since I don't have knee pucks on my jeans. Stay in shape so you can fit in your leathers. I sorta outgrew mine. :D

Back