How do you know when you are bored with your bike?

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
I have been thinking about this lately. I have had 4 bikes and none held my fascination more than a couple years. I'm still not bored with the busa after 4 years but I was wondering if it will eventually happen. I have been doing stuff on the Busa like trips and such, so it's less the reason I ride and more a tool to go out and do something fun. I don't think I will outgrow the Busa as I'm already pretty old at 51. So I guess I might want some more comfortable as I get older.

You can always ALWAYS upgrade the big bird! ALMOST NO LIMIT! So, in short, no, you won't

I'm bored with mine when it is just sitting in the garage. Thats why I try to be on it as much as possible.:thumbsup:

I have had at least a dozen different bikes in the last 5 years. The Busa is the only one that holds my attention.

I'm not bored with my street bikes, but I AM bored with street riding. I recently picked up a dual sport, and every time I'm out on my street bikes, I'm thinking man I wish I was on the dual sport, so I could hit up some of these cool trails I'm passing :dunno:

I love nature tho, so for me being out in it beats rolling by it on the pavement. I've been slowly losing my interest in riding over the last few years, and after a recent ride up a road that dead-ended into beautiful trails heading off into the distance, I realized I needed a bike to get me into those trails. Since I picked up the dual sport the street bikes have been mostly parked.....I'm not sure when I'll get the urge to ride them again :down:

I'm going to sell my customized gsxr-1100 this spring tp pick up another dual sport, but the busa and turbo 14 won't be going anywhere........I'm just wondering if I'll ever get back the urge to ride street again? Maybe I need to hit the dragstrip or do a trackday to get that sportbike urge back......not sure :dunno:

I think it has less to do with the bike and more to do with the persons personality....... Some people just have ADD when it comes to thier hobbies, they are either never satisfied, wanting to keep up with the jones's or wondering how green the grass is on the other side. ?? 51 isnt old............... as long as you dont have any medical issues or injuries I say ride on! :thumbsup:

Willie....you're 51 and concerned about that? I'm 65 and figuring out how to be better and faster so you need to rethink this! Doyle

Once I get on the bike I feel like I'm at home. It's where I'm happy and more than anything it's what I love. But I do find it harder and harder to make time for it, get on the gear and get out there. I was looking at the bike while frying a turkey this Christmas and thinking what an incredible machine it is and I've done a good job customizing it so far. Southeast Va is not too bad a place to ride and it's close enough to places like the Dragon if you really want to have some fun. I'm not thinking of giving it up but I just noticed I'm not a rabbit about it as I used to be.

I'm not bored with mine and looking to get another one. I know that I haven't learned nearly enough about the busa to ever wanna give it up. I also know that I don't have the skills that my fellow brothers and sisters have that I am excited to learn and enjoy. I hope that when I'm 70 I'll still be riding the busa. Don't get me wrong I will have a few other bikes in the garage, the busa will always be there when I wanna take an awesome ride that no other bike can accomplish. I don't think you will get sick of it, your still young and still have a lot of years ahead to accomplish whatever is in your soul to move that busa.. Sure you are a rabbit about it still, your talking about it online with a bunch of other rabbits. :whistle: just sayin :thumbsup:

After 6 years of owning a busa, I am satisfied with my bike and I can honestly say I dont want anything for it. I am not bored, just wishing the weather would warm back up so I can put more miles on it.

Put a small dry shot on it. That'll livin things up. :laugh:

Years ago, on my second Busa. I had a 1397 and nitrous. It made 250hp. It was getting boring. I thought the bike was down on power, so I tried something different.
I hit the nitrous in first gear, instead of second.
While I was hanging up past the pivot point with the tail light almost dragging the ground :please:, I came to the conclusion that the bike wasn't down on power, I was just getting used to it. :banghead:
I learned something that day. Never spray a short bike in first gear. :rofl:

Honestly, more often as I get older (49) I have a hard time gathering motivation to ride... Particuarly on less than perfect days, however, once in the seat all is good with the world. Riding combines several things for me - quiet, self- contemplation, adrenlin, music, and nature as not expirienced in a cage.

I have 5 bikes and only ride about 10 to 12 k on average these days. I'd say my high annual average was 20 to 22 k - so I've definately become less interested, but I'd like to think it's because of other higher priorities (family/work) taking a toll on free time and motivation.

As it pertains to "hobbies" my motivation has waxed and waned between shooting sports, boating and motorcycles my entire life.

Some years I may only put 5k on my motorcycles but there is something about "just knowing it's in the garage" that also fills a need for me. Places that offer year round riding are wonderful but there's also something very special about the northern tier states (or anywhere that experiences "big" winters) when you "break out all the gear and launch your scooter for the new season"......like another hi point of the year, that first ride.
As a high school teacher, I always tell the kids, "boredom isn't around you, it's your state of mind, you get to choose your attitude toward the world, it's all wonderful, you're the one that labels it". Doyle

I've grown more bored with riding on the street than the bike itself. Primary reason for this is, there is nobody left to ride with. All last summer and several thousand miles, I rode by myself. Used to be some sportbike people that I rode with, but all of them were young, and got married or otherwise went broke and sold their bikes. The local sport bike message forum finally gave up and shut down because everyone was talking about guns instead of bikes, so there is no real way to locate anyone else. I seldom even see a sport bike out in the back woods twisties anymore, only cruisers. The few Busas around here all have long swingarms and the riders don't like to leave the city limits of Springfield. Pretty much the theme of all the sport bike people here at the moment, extended, lowered, ride in city traffic, and complain about the police and people trying to run over them.
Track days are good, but the closest track is over 200 miles away, and figuring track fee and travel expense, it costs me a minimum of $200 for 6 or 7, 20 minute sessions. Plus the track folks I find to be mostly aloof and stand offish from everyone except the little group they're with. I may do a couple next summer, but it's hard anymore to justify from a "bang for the buck" standpoint.
That's why I've pretty much parked the Busa and went dirt riding. Always someone to ride with, all skill levels, open bunch of people, excellent riding areas, and great fun. Racing abounds, from woods to track, there's one at least every other weekend, most are within 75 miles of my house, and total cost is 1/3 of a single track day. Then there's motocross. $15-$20 and a 10 to 40 mile drive will get me a full day with unlimited track time (no 20 minute sessions). And I'm finding real quick that it has everything a road course track day does when it comes to skill required and adrenaline rush to be had (air out a 70' double and tell me your heart isn't in your throat). Plus the people are always open and friendly.
I don't plan on selling my Hayabusa, because I still like to go ride once in a while, and hopefully someday I can hook up with some other people who like to actually ride. But for the most part now, I'm on knobbies.

Back