Gen-2 vs Gen-3 aerodynamics

A couple of things I noticed.

The Gen 3 front fender has a cutout in it - other years don't

The Gen 2 pictured doesn't have bar ends.
Was that to reduce drag?
New fender design...maybe to redirect air to the brakes?

I can't see a bar end doing anything to increase drag due to it's shape-it would move air around it pretty easily. It might be part of a weight reduction program someone started doing.

New fender design...maybe to redirect air to the brakes?

I can't see a bar end doing anything to increase drag due to it's shape-it would move air around it pretty easily. It might be part of a weight reduction program someone started doing.
Air on the brakes and less lift under the fender from the air.

The bar-ends are off Got-busa's gen2 in the picture, and it's a LSR bike.

I think it's both for increased cooling and to get air around the bike. If you can tell in the pics, the fender directs air around the lower fairing from the front. Also notice the fork coverage from the two fenders and how it fans out on the lower portion.

Bar ends and anything sticking out makes a big impact on top speed runs and aero.

My goal is 250MPH+ on a 100% SWB street bike! :cool:

I think it's both for increased cooling and to get air around the bike. If you can tell in the pics, the fender directs air around the lower fairing from the front. Also notice the fork coverage from the two fenders and how it fans out on the lower portion.

Bar ends and anything sticking out makes a big impact on top speed runs and aero.

I've seen aftermarket CF fenders for the other generations that have a similar vent...

I was seriously considering one...maybe even still....

Recent upset in NASCAR racing was from a .060” layer of tape on the front end of a car...... this is a subject that requires hard numbers comparison at the wind tunnel.... Personally I think the basic aero engineering has remained through the generations with enough changes in non critical areas to keep the marketing group happy. All will push 200 without stress. cooling drag is a big area of improvement when talkin about high performance airplanes..... how efficient is the air moving through your cooling system and exiting the bike at speed? dont Just look at the airflow on the OUTSIDE of the motorcycle.....
slick fairings on the outside of the bike don’t tell the whole story.

Recent upset in NASCAR racing was from a .060” layer of tape on the front end of a car...... this is a subject that requires hard numbers comparison at the wind tunnel.... Personally I think the basic aero engineering has remained through the generations with enough changes in non critical areas to keep the marketing group happy. All will push 200 without stress. cooling drag is a big area of improvement when talkin about high performance airplanes..... how efficient is the air moving through your cooling system and exiting the bike at speed? dont Just look at the airflow on the OUTSIDE of the motorcycle.....
slick fairings on the outside of the bike don’t tell the whole story.
Depends on the type of racing but most top speed bikes reduce cooling efficiency via fairings to reduce drag and gain aero improvement. Most runs are over so quick it’s not needed because the fast stuff run aftermarket chillers or intercoolers to cool intake temps.

Do you really need a real wind tunnel these days? Seems like computer modeling and other stuff could tell which one slips thru the air easiest?
All the big manufacturers still use them from what I've read.

Let's see what the aeronautical engineer has to say on the subject as an expert in this field..

Do you really need a real wind tunnel these days? Seems like computer modeling and other stuff could tell which one slips thru the air easiest?
It depends what you’re testing really. A different rider can completely change the results because of size, tuck, etc..

A riderless bike doesn’t tell the full story in cad or wind tunnel tests.

It depends what you’re testing really. A different rider can completely change the results because of size, tuck, etc..

A riderless bike doesn’t tell the full story in cad or wind tunnel tests.

Of course. If needed could said rider not sit on bike in tucked position to capture a digital image of that which could then be input into the particular program used to figure drag? I know nothing about that stuff but am figuring if I’m thinking about it someone with expertise in that field could do it.

All the big manufacturers still use them from what I've read.

Let's see what the aeronautical engineer has to say on the subject as an expert in this field..
In all seriousness it would take A LOT of paperwork and favors to stick 2x Busas in the local chamber for personal use lol. If you can get a hold of a legit/official 3D mock-up, all you should need is a computer sim.

In all seriousness it would take A LOT of paperwork and favors to stick 2x Busas in the local chamber for personal use lol. If you can get a hold of a legit/official 3D mock-up, all you should need is a computer sim.
Actually it’s pretty easy, just takes time and money. It’s around $600hr and it’s typically a 3-5 hour minimum.

Back