Gear...

BigBoyGSX

Registered
Just wondering what yall recommend wearing when riding...I know a helmet , jacket, pants boots, ect...

But I mean how many of you actually wear all of that? I very rarely see any bikers around here that wear full leathers and a helmet in the summer.... Most I see riding just wear a short sleeve shirt, sunglasses, and jeans, and boots...

But as new rider untill I get the feel for the beast I am going to wear a helmet, jacket, jeans, boots...

But what jacket do yall reccommend? I HATE BEING HOT! I dont even wear a coat in the winter...I want something that will protect me if I do take a tumble (which I dont plan on) but that breathes like I am wearing nothing. Thanks guys!

Check out the Tourmaster Cortech HRX jacket and pants. They've got a winter liner and a rain liner that zip out. Without them, the jacket is almost as cool as a tshirt. Check out www.newenough.com. They usually have some good prices and give great service.

If I'm going out for a day of riding, I wear it. Then again, I'm hitting the twisties and I know I'm going to be taking risks. I hate to say it, but I generally ride in Jeans and T's around town just cruising. Tn is a helmet law state but I'd probably wear my full face anyway. I've got the scars to show on the side of my head from a wreck when I was 16 and I was wearing a helmet. I wear hiking boots and gloves anytime I'm out.

Take your time and get to know her. She can be a sweet, sexy lady if you're gentle with her, but she can turn into one mean bit_h if you treat her wrong.

Dan

My fall jacket is leather. My spring and summer jacket is a Joe Rocket Suzuki textile:Good Lookin' Busa Textile

I have 2 pairs of gloves, both are the new Jordan; one leather and one cloth... comfy. Boots for sure. Jeans for sure. MA is a helmet state... so can't get around that one.

Definitely check out the items at New Enough. They have great prices and customer service. A mesh jacket with liner is nice for the summer and while it won't give you the same protection as leather it is better than a tank top.

I got the ICON TI max mesh jacket from newenough.com  in their clearance/mesh jackets lets the air through real well
wink.gif

<!--EDIT|onerabidshark
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147530767 -->

Always at least a mesh jacket, Icon and J.Rocket, I like a little something between me and the road.  For fall it's leather, am looking for a perf. leather jacket for warm weather though. And I finally bought some Sidi boots. Would not even dream of being without a lid.

I would like to get a custom full face helmet...can you buy ones already in the colors with a hayabusa logo? or do you have to get them specailly painted? thanks!

Gloves helmet and some kind of protective jacket at mininum. Believe me nothing sucks worse than sliding up the road on your a** and wishing for something to help slow you down. All the while knowing you left a perfectly good leather jacket and gloves not 2 feet from where your bike was parked. You left them because you were just going for a "quick ride." I don't know anyone who goes out riding thinking "I think I'll crash today."

A tee shirt will evaporate pretty much on contact = no protection.

Blue jeans will last for a couple of seconds if your lucky = very little protection.

Leather on the other hand will likely survive multiple crashes = best protection.

I have not saw or heard any first hand accounts about the nylon biker jackets. But I have to believe if they were as good as advertised the pro riders would be using them. They are much lighter and cooler than leather but I'm not sure about the protection provided.

I personally have an Icon perforated leather jacket with awsome venting. Leather gloves and boots and yes I wear my jeans. When sitting in traffic on hot sunny days the leather is hot but once you get moving and the breeze inside the gear starts up your good again. You can always unzip the jacket a bit and let it baloon up, this will cool you quickly.

In the end it's your call. Just think about it before you go out. Would you ride naked. A tee shirt and jeans offer about the same level of protection. If you hit the road (and I hope you never do) you will be naked in the contact areas in a few seconds. Immediatly after that you will begin loosing skin. Losing skin is never a good or fun thing. Just my observation after sliding a 10th of a mile on my a** in blue jeans, a tee, hiking boots, and helmet. The helmet and boots were the only pieces of clothing left simi-intact when I stopped sliding.

I wear it all, all leather. Get ones with good ventilation and the heat is no problem. I love my z pilot jacket from 1st gear
biggrin.gif

Yo bigBoy-you will probly run into problems with fit of jackets-not sure what your chest/arm measurements are, but from your earlier posts, gotta be substantial. I'm a few inches taller, but u got me by at least 40 lbs-you will need a XXL in any jacket you look for. I have the ICON Motorhead Skull jacket-full quilted zip-out liner and full perf. on inside of arms top-to-bottom. Fits great and has full armor that is removeable-in winter, this is my cold-weather coat. There are five new styles out from ICON, hit their website @ rideicon.com-gloves are great too-I have their ICON Skull Chassis for hot temps, and TiMax Short for cold n track time. Their jeans are better than your average Levis too-reinforced and cut to fit a rider, so check those out too.
Good luck-if you are cool with the local Suzuki Dealer, see if he will do a discount for you thru Parts Unlimited- I get 20-25% off depending what gear/parts i order...but i also order alot of shid.:D

Hey BigDiesel..I am going to have to ask my dealer about that! See if he can get me some stuff at discount.

My neck is 20.5", Dont know all of my measurements but I wear a size 58 suit jacket and have to get the arms widend because I will usually rip them out if I bend my arm. This should be a fun hunt for this stuff to fit me!

I don't care how hot it gets...I need all my gear...but, starting this year, I'mgetting off a leather jacket to mesh jackets...to me its alot of move...(this jacket has almost no weigh on it...) but has some good features...but the rest? I have no winter or summer gears...

00_1_b.jpg

As some above I wear everything,Arai#12-13th.,Alpinstar smx boots/armored gloves w/vents, including full leather(2pc. zip-together, 1pc.for when I did track which I still have) all the time. With well placed vents you'll have no problems. Keep your H2O intake up which you should do anyways. Dehydration, which you can get at the same rate sometimes quicker in shorts & a t-shirt, will cause slowed reaction time, cramps, dizziness, blurred vision(esp. w/ contacts) I see alot of accidents in my line of work. If I had pics of some of them you would NEVER go out w/o gear. 1.1mi. to the corner store, I'll gear up and drive to the next one 5mi. down. Helmets, style is nice but go for the best fit & best you can afford. What is your head worth? I've really trashed acouple. They work, period. I don't mean to go on I just feel very strong about this subject. If you get all geared up and ride for 40 yrs. and you never have to have it protect you, great. You can call me up and rag @ me. If you go down hard once maybe you'll thank me. Either way shopping and getting good comfortable gear is kinda fun. My & my g/f's was off the rack, stuff doesn't fit my shoulder to waist ratio, so I got it taliored very reasonable. It fits like my custom did. Ride safe & best of luck.

thats a Joe Rocket, they make a same design for leather and mesh...they call just "GSXR Jacket" the sizes are tricky...I'm size 44, Eur 54, anyway, in the JR in Large...I personally don't like a fishnet kind of a mesh jackets...this jacket is roctex nylon with airvent zippers in it...3 pocket, almost no weigh, I mentioned...

here is my suit up list
i start with my lucky thong
then a pair of daisy duke shorts
a nice tube top then
my stelletos
just kiddin usually i like to ride with my kawi teck coat
fox gloves cat boots and tube socks

I've seen the thong, he's not kidding! And he wraps his socks on the outside of his pants too.

Back